“Price + location: it's a real fun place!”
Review of Motel Capri

Motel Capri
Ranked #114 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Los Angeles, California
“Price + location: it's a real fun place!”
Reviewed 21 December 2011

This is an old 50's/60's style motel. It's in the style of architecture that true San Francisco residents dislike because it's a bit like Southern California, but we love it. It feels like home to us because we're from LA. No, it's not posh by any means, but it's clean, and well located one block from Lombard street. The staff are nice, and the room rates are reasonable. We come to SF about twice a year and we always stay here. Yes, it's difficult to get a spot in the parking lot but if you go in to the office, they will find you one...even if they have to move their car.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Plattsburgh, NY
Reviewed 17 December 2011

From the price and it's rating, I wasn't expecting a 5-Star Hotel. However, being ranked 3/5 stars and around the middle of the 240+ SF hotels, I certainly expected better than this. I did get a good price on this place, but still, not worth it.

The room itself was very small. VERY small. It wasn't filthy, but wasn't the cleanest hotel I'd ever been in either. Found an unopened condom and some assorted papers under the bed. Simply unacceptable. We might as well have been sharing the room w/ our neighbors in the adjoining room. Even when they were talking at a normal voice, we could here them plain as day. Extremely annoying when trying to relax. We could also here the people in the room above us storming around like Clydesdale's. The room itself was also old. It apparently had been newly renovated. Newly may have been a couple years ago, but not any time recently. To exacerbate it all, I was right near the lobby, so there was always a lot of traffic outside the room, making the sleep quality that much worse.

On the positive side, it was in a good neighborhood and had free parking. Also, all amenities worked, and the room featured a large flatscreen TV w/ satellite reception. I was pleasantly suprised at that.

Overall, if you're in a bind and need a cheap hotel for a night, this place is OK. But in all other circumstances, avoid this place.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Paris, France
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We had reservations for the beginning of august, for 5 days. I wanted something "original" so made reservations for the "VIP King Newly Renovated" (as per their website!). The room was small, very small. As for the "newly renovated", well, i'll just say that the room wasn't "newly renovated" ... maybe 5 years before, but certainly not recently. The bathroom was ok but, frankly, you could sit on the toilet, brush your teeth and almost take a shower at the same time ( not that you would want to). Upon our arrival (i like to inspect my room for clean sheets, etc) there was hair on the floor of the bathroom and in the shower and the sheets had stains. I understand that hotels cannot throw away a sheet evry time there's a stain but frankly, it wasn't pretty. Anyway, we left after 2 days and found a much better hotel just a litlle further up the road. We certainly won't be returning anyway near Motel Capri for our next visit to SF.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 5 November 2011

This place is close to Lombard Street but you don't here the traffic. 10 minute walk to a lot of restaurants and "Off the Grid" is 15 minutes walk on a Friday night. Nice big TV. Has an elevator. Car parking is provided but if you dont get a spot in the hotel parking you will never find another one in the area.

Very reasonable rates, particularly if booked together with a flight.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
victoria, BC
Reviewed 23 October 2011

First time SF visitor, the Capri is modest but just fine. Location is quiet, away from traffic and felt safe after dark. Very convenient to shopping, restaurants and buses. Front desk staff very helpful, room service thorough. My only complaint is that the walls are very thin; I could almost follow conversations next door.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Great location, parallel to Lombard Street. Walking Distance to the Harbor (about 7 Blocks)
Room was simple, decent. Mom was missing a blow-dryer.
No Breakfast offered at the Main Office.
We booked online the day before and paid for 2 Nights, 1 Room, 2 Queen Beds, July 2011: $120.
I rated the Rooms Average poor because the rooms weren't THE nicest but they worked for a night or two. I don't want to say poor because depending on your standards this may vary. I rated Service poor because there was no breakfast offered and the front desk person was not very friendly. Which didn't matter to us but it was something I want to mention since I am being asked to rate it. I would stay there again tho, it wasn't that I was repelled or anything.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
san diego, california
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I have stayed at Motel Capri in the past and was always delighted to be there...not this time. Since the new "managers" have taken over the place, it has really gone downhill. The first thing you notice is the condition of the room in general...soiled carpet and drapes, junky furniture, torn shower curtain, etc. The TV was the nicest thing in the room...however, you could not get many channels on the so-called Dish Network...could never get it to work.
The in-room coffee was available for one day...after that they kept telling me they ran out and did I want cocoa?? In the past, coffee and tea were available in the lobby all day long...now it is out for an hour or two in the morning and that is it....
I will not be staying at Motel Capri again...the only thing going for it now is the good location...oh yes, I paid quite a bit more for the room this time and did not receive the service I felt we deserved...adios Motel Capri

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends