“Great value and location”
Review of Chelsea Motor Inn

Chelsea Motor Inn
Ranked #82 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Nice hotel - clean tidy rooms comfortable beds. Yes it's noisy take earplugs but great location and good value - area has some great places to eat - trendy area of SF, very handy for buses into main attractions etc. free parking so all good.

Room Tip: ideally at the back - but just take earplugs- can see GGB from top floor at front
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank dan t

Reviewed 24 March 2014

great location, multiple bus lines run within 1 or 2 blocks of the inn. rooms were large, clean, comfortable. staff was extremely helpful, excellent service. nice that parking is included. the room was a bit noisy, even though we stayed in the back of the hotel, but that is what you can expect in the city. we would stay here again on a return visit. great value.

Room Tip: rooms on the third floor, in the back are as quiet as you will get,
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lynnturnbull
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We loved this hotel! The rooms were big, clean & updated, as were the bathrooms. The staff was extremely helpful, gave a great recommendation for breakfast and if you mentioned that the hotel sent you, you got a discount on your meal. We did have some street noise from the bar across the street, but we had earplugs, so not a problem. The price is a big draw and free garage parking is the other. We would stay there again and recommend it to our friends.

Room Tip: If noise is an issue for you, ask for an interior room. They also have a couple of sister hotels, 1...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Aileen H
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We first found this hotel through "Hotwire.com" but stayed there a second time on our return to San Francisco, and would do so again. The place is clean, and decently equipped. But it is ageing. You can see wear on the furniture, a bit, and the elevator broke down on our first visit (staff carried our bags down the stairs for us when we checked out).
Other reviewers speak of street noise - yes, it's there but my wife and I live in a city and are used to city noise. Traffic is, after all, "white noise" - and the occasional fire truck or ambulance? Well, it's a city, right? We slept well.
We had superior service particularly from the front desk. A fellow named Mohammed stands out for being friendly, helpful, and informative.
As for location? Lombard Street, and particularly Chestnut Street nearby, are trendy and full of interesting places to eat, plus a wide assortment of boutiques. And sightseeing buses stop right in front of the hotel. You're at least a mile away from Fisherman's wharf or Union Square - so its best to take a taxi or a bus to get to such places.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I think it's interesting that people complain about the street noise-why didn't you check this out and read reviews before you decided to stay here??? There is some street noise on Lombard but this is a major city-there is going to be traffic. The noise didn't bother me at all and my room faced Lombard St. I stayed here last year and can't wait to come back this spring!

The hotel staff was extremely helpful and friendly-I was even surprised by a bottle of wine and chocolates in my room on my birthday! The housekeeping staff always had a smile and nice words to say (they did a great job!) my room was very clean and spacious. Very pleasant stay!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here because of location and price. I emailed before arrival to insure I got a quiet room. Was surprised on my arrival to learn they don't read their emails (despite an email address on their website) and that I had a 2nd floor room on noisy Lombard St. The desk agent was not interested in finding me a better room and told me there weren't any (I think there were but he didn't want to be bothered). He handed me earplugs as a solution. After sleeping poorly due to constant street noise, I decided either to get a quieter room or change hotels. A different desk clerk stated they had no quiet internal rooms available. I asked for a higher floor and room facing quieter Fillmore St, and she changed my room. Note I had to problem solve this myself - she did not offer any alternative rooms! My new 3rd room was indeed much quieter so I slept well, plus I had a view of the Golden Gate Bridge. I recommend this hotel for value and location if you are not bothered by street noise. If you are, make sure you get a high floor and a room on Fillmore. Other reviewers have mentioned a noisy post office - I don't know what street that is on, but avoid that street too. Interior soundproofing seems good as I did not hear any noise from occupied adjacent rooms. The rooms have old furnishings and decor, but they are very clean, the mattresses and linens are good, and there is plenty of hot water. There is a coffee maker in the room and an ice and soda machine in the hall, but no breakfast. The motel is very close to excellent restaurants, coffee shops, and take out. Public transportation is right out front. Free parking is included if you have a car. A friendly desk clerk named Mohammed arranged a shared van to the airport for $15. I would stay here again if I needed to be in the marina district as long as I was assured of a quiet room location and I would call them not email to make sure. This place is a solid value for SF.

Room Tip: High floor not on Lombard St.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank AvonCTgirl
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We're on holidays from Ireland and travelled up the coast from LA and this was our worst experience. The rooms onto Lumbard st wouldn't be any noisier if you actually slept on the street. The traffic on this street never stops which we didn't realise when we booked. The second night we got a room change to the back but there's a type of post sorting office here so the trucks started loading up at 4.30 am so no sleep again.
The rooms are a good size and clean but the staff were totally uninterested and bordering on the rude. I would definitely not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com