“The Absolute WORST Place I have ever stayed”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Francisco
Pensione International
Ranked #221 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 24 July 2007

OK, just for the record, I wrote a review of the Travelodge in Grants Pass Oregon and I am pretty sure in that review I referenced the fact that it was the SECOND worst hotel I have ever been subjected to stay at.

Well....say hello to number one! This was the skankiest, nastiest hotel I have ever had to stay in...and to make matters worse, I was there with my husband on our HONEYMOON! We must have been in a state of pre-marital delerium when we booked this one!

The room was a filthy dirty den of cooties, bedding was torn and soiled, and there was a tiny sink bolted to the wall. Yes, a sink. There was no toilet or shower in the room....no, you have to walk down the hall to use those amenities...and share them with every street derelict who happens to be crashing on the second floor with you.

The whole place stunk like bad curry. I think the hotel manager and his entire extended family lived on the first floor, and did nothing but cook up pots of wicked smelling devil-curry 24-7. We could not escape the stench! Well, I take that back...sometimes the pervading odor of B.O. in the hallways helped drown it out.

After two nights (we had booked ourselves for five nights), we couldn't stomach it anymore, and ended up hightailing it out of there and heading to the bowels of Chinatown for a hotel upgrade.

Oh, and one more thing...the "continental breakfast" that was supposed to be included with the room consisted of one box of butterhorns per day put out early in the morning (there were maybe 12 danish per box). When they were gone, that was the end of breakfast...you snooze, you loose.

We did not think any of our friends or family would believe us when we came back home and tried to tell them exactly how gut wrenching this place was, so we actually used our video camera to record the levels of filth that were present in this room.

Anyway, this is a great place for people who enjoy playing the game: "guess what made THAT stain", and spending time contemplating what might scurry out of the sink drain once the lights are turned out. If this describes you, you'll really dig this place.

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled as a couple