“Can't say it is good”
Review of Nob Hill Hotel

Nob Hill Hotel
Ranked #154 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I stayed here in room 303 from Friday until Monday. Wifi at room was only available on the last day. No air-con so you always need to turn on the exhausted fan as air circulation is really bad. Breakfast is very ordinarily and don't expect anything good. They promised me I can pay on cash however they still billed on my credit card. I only recommend those with tight budget but need a good location. Staff in front desk is polite & helpful though.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank TungKRC

Reviewed 25 August 2013

This hotel was expensive really expensive. Not to bad a location as walking distance (long walk) or short bus ride to Union Square. But don't expect a clean, hotel, as you would be disapointed, i could not believe the state of this hotel. The carpet was dirty, i mean really dirt, it apprears as though it has not been cleaned in years. The curtains ect where just as bad. Don't expect a view. The lift is old and a little scary. There was no hot water for 2 days. And they lied to us. We where told that a plumber was on his way to fix it, but they did not call one until the following day (i overherd them calling him). Think about it just get off a flight really tired and no show, then lied to. NO HAPPY>>>>...

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Greatholidays4all
Reviewed 25 August 2013

In many ways this is an excellent choice for a hotel as it is centrally located, relatively inexpensive and has some charm. I'm sure that many visitors really enjoyed their stay. My criticism relates to what I believe is mis-selling by the hotel. I requested a double room, i.e. a room with a double bed. What we got was a tiny bed that would have done for Mr and Mrs Stick Insect but not for any pair of reasonably normally proportioned people, in an even tinier room. The room was so small that the tiny bed for the tiny couple was jammed against one wall, meaning clambering over the unlucky insect on the outside for the insect on the inside, should nature call. The lady on duty tried to explain that this was a bona fide double room, but following vocal complaining we eventually got a transfer to a better, but still disappointing (and rather tatty) room, for the record, 409. Shame, it slightly spoiled our stay in this fascinating city..

Room Tip: Avoid 403 and 409
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank paul_m68
Reviewed 17 August 2013

The hotel is quite a nice little hotel for the money you pay, especially at late notice. They handled my booking very last minute and accommodated myself at a late hour, preparing a room specifically for me. Having been in the area for a meeting I was also provided with an early breakfast which was more than adequate. The bistro at the hotel is actually really nice, I loved the food there and found myself wanting more before I left, it's a nice touch because it gave me more to do while I was waiting around. The room's are exactly how you see in the pictures and are decent for the pay, the bathrooms are very clean and seem to be maintained well. I had an issue with not being able to get hot water at one point but that was fixed within half an hour. The staff at the hotel are very friendly and happy to help, they spent a lot of time helping me find my bearings and arrange transport which I appreciated as I hadn't got a very good knowledge of the area. I did find it a bit of a trouble to get on to the wifi which was frustrating but I was given assistance and after a while it seemed to sort itself out. The style and the artwork of the place is actually quite stunning, it made me feel like I was in a special little hideaway, and the area surrounding is quiet so I wasn't disturbed at night. I may not get chance to visit the area again but if I do I would be returning here, it was a nice experience.

Room Tip: The higher rooms are better as you get less foot traffic noise but I got the impression that there w...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Daniel W
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Facts:
Positive:
- Nice Team
- Central

Negative:
- Terrible Breakfast, just from 7-9:00: only with bread toasts (!), bad coffee and the guests had to clean the table on their own, cause there was only one person at the service
- Rooms not very clean, Furniture damaged
- Wifi "damaged". They promised to fix it until next day, what didn't happen. Only one Computer at reception, but very slow
- even if at time of the online reservation, the room price was fixed at 135 US dollars, the Bill was because of "daily variation of prices" 20% higher the second day. When I asked to see the manager, they told me to call him. I'm coming from Germany and have to get my flight in a couple of hours and I am not going to do that on my costs...

I would never come back to this hotel and I would never recommend it to anyone

Reviewed 8 August 2013

We booked this on Travelocity's Top Secret Hotels and got a very good price for two nights. We called in ahead and requested two beds in the room but arrived ad got a room with one very small bed in the corner of a tiny room. The room was so small that there was probably only two feet between the bed (and the bed was squeezed into the corner). We needed two beds and told the front desk that we reserved a room that had two beds, but she said they had no more available. She didn't really speak English so it was hard to communicate with her. I ended up sleeping on the floor (squished between the bed and the wall) for the first night but we were able to get a room with two beds the second night. The first room had a view of a brick wall and a very dark bathroom that had paint peeling, towel racks falling off, and a shower with pretty much no pressure. The next morning we went down to the "breakfast" which was old bagels, watered orange juice, coffee, and some store-bought pastries. We went outside to sit and eat and ended up having a homeless man come up to us asking for food. He then ran inside the hotel and in to the breakfast area to get food. It was obvious he had done this before because he knew exactly where the breakfast was. Another guest told the woman at the front desk and it was clear she had no idea what to do. She went up to him, gently tapped him on the shoulder, and said "Are you staying here?" He then ran out before she could do anything else. The next morning we walked down the street and found a little diner with pretty cheap prices. We were also given a room with two beds that was surprisingly large with an updated bathroom and a pretty nice view. It was obvious the rooms are inconsistent and each one is different, but it was nice to have a better room the second night. Now for some more cons: like the breakfast, the WiFi is not like how it is advertised. You can only get it up to a few floors until it no longer reaches. Our second room was on one of the upper floors so we couldn't get a signal at all. We went downstairs to the front desk and spoke to an extremely rude man who said "Yeah. It doesn't work very well." and then went back to his computer and ignored us. We got it in the lobby pretty well but I don't want to have to sit in the lobby to check my email. If they know it doesn't work, why do they say it does? Fix it or don't advertise it. Also like the breakfast, the "happy hour" is a bottle of wine and two glasses placed on a tiny table in the back of the lobby. Needless to say, we never used that. The fitness center is surprisingly nice with a good choice of machines. The location of the hotel is great for the price. Once you leave the door you will be in Union Square in less than 10 minutes. As other reviews have said, it's definitely not in the safest area. We asked the front desk for a pizza place and she sent us to this very scary street with homeless and some people obviously high or drunk. It is a pretty short (but unsafe feeling) walk to the Metro station which is great so you don't have to bring a car. The valet seemed really inconsistent and expensive so we're glad we didn't do that. Overall, if you want a place to sleep and don't expect much but want a good location, this place will work. If you want a nice hotel for your vacation, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2013

The Nob Hill location of this hotel was convenient to Union Square (where we could catch transportation) and close enough to Fisherman's Wharf that we walked the few blocks. They were installing new carpet on some floors while we were there (a badly needed improvement). It's a historic building with an old-style elevator (manual gate and door) and antiques in the rooms. Room was clean and had a mini-fridge and microwave and a floor fan (which we used since it was warm out and no AC). The bathroom tile was old and had some cracks and it was hard to get a constant water temp. Beds were comfy and it was quiet, even with the windows open. Breakfast was very basic (no meat, yogurt or other protein - just breads & cereal), but there was a complimentary wine in the early evening. Good value for downtown SF. Parking was $30/day.

Room Tip: We initially had a room on the 2nd floor which smelled funky and was too small. Fifth floor room sm...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family