“Thats not breakfast!”
Review of Castle Inn

Castle Inn
Ranked #106 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 21 September 2013

This inn has a good location, walking distance from the north shore, about 20 minutes, not much of a stuff, and they wasn't that nice. The most annoying thing about this one is the breakfast, they say they have a continental breakfast but all they give is are some bars on a counter which you suppose to eat standing or take to your room, say again, that's not breakfast! Another thing the tv didn't work at all, and the room was tiny.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Great location, great price, but the rooms were kind of funky. Clean, but somewhat old and out dated. Electrical outlets were wobbly, plugs kept slipping out (just an example of the management not really caring to make some minor improvements). Air conditioner in our room was broken so they moved us to another room without question. About $50/day cheaper than one right around the corner which is nicer. But I'd say it's worth saving the $50. Free parking is huge! Continental breakfast was nice.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ronald B
Reviewed 29 August 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Castle Inn 24 & 25 August 2013. The staff were great, Damien, hope I spelt your name correctly, fixed up my wifi problems, and gave me some travel tips and even some maps. Nicole was also very helpful when we initially booked over the phone and on arrival. The rooms were adequate, clean, but over priced. But it was the weekend and a central location within easy access of the city, so I suppose it saved us a lot of hotel searching.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Was travelling on my own, and this hotel, suited my needs. It was handy to the trolleys, and buses, and I could travel out on my own. Room and bed were okay, and the only complaint I have was there was no Wi-Fi in room, I would go down to reception and do it there, as I had to contact my children every couple of days. Enjoyed San Francisco, was an expensive city though, and there is a really good Thai restaurant T2J, on the corner just up from the hotel, and a Walgreens just on the opposite corner, where you can get snacks and microwave meals, and pharmacy items. Marshall and another gentleman who did nights were really helpful to me. Walked around to Polk st., for Starbucks, and used there Wi-Fi as well. Would stay again, as handy to everything, could walk to Holiday inn 3-4 blocks away to get 3 day bus pass, which you could use on trolleys as well, so handy. Thanks Castle Inn for my time there, was in June 2013...

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back are quieter, I am good sleeper, so did not worry me, I was close to reception...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank indenda
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Good location near Pacific Heights. Old rooms were a bit musty. Barely OK bed.
Very weak WIFI. Couldn't even get it to work. Very tight parking, but at least, they have parking. Didn't try the "breakfast" but it looked rather meager. Pretty fair coffee shop across the street. Opt for a room near the back to avoid the early morn street noise. But room was quiet with the fan running. A bit pricey but, this is SF. OK for what is supposed to be. Just a place to sleep. Desk clerks were helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: At or near the back.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank simon s
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I'm writing this review sat on the floor of the balcony outside my room on the 1st floor of the Castle Inn. This is the only way I am able to use the provided Wi-Fi, as the connection is non-existent in my room. It's a shame that I have to start on this negative note, however, the Wi-Fi issue has tainted what would have been a fairly pleasant stay. That said, The location of the Castle Inn is excellent and the price paid is definitely worth it for the convenience of accessing the many local attractions which SF has to offer. The provided parking is also a real boon, especially for people like myself who are mid way through a family road trip in a rental car. The room itself is clean and functional, albeit very dated and slightly cramped with two queen beds and four occupants. A fridge and a microwave are provided, along with a TV and a hair dryer. My wife and I have found the beds to be too soft and we've both woken with crippling back ache, however, this is subjective and from reading the reviews of others not necessarily the norm. Having arrived late (approx 1100 pm) we were met by an extremely helpful gentleman on the front desk, who provided us with a map of the local area and as much information on where to see; eat; visit and avoid as we could absorb. Speaking of such, there is a very useful launderette within a 5 min walk on Van Ness Avenue and a plethora of decent restaurants on the adjacent Polk Street. If you're in need of a quick bite I can thoroughly recommend Escape from New York Pizza, which seems to be doing a roaring trade with the other guests. All-in-all I would recommend the Castle Inn if nothing else for it's price, convenience and location. With a minor update and a decent internet system it would easily get 5 stars from me.

Room Tip: Try to get a room which is near to the router.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights on my own while in SF. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly, and there is free wifi, free parking, and a free small breakfast (yoghurt, fruit, muesli bars, coffee, tea) - though nowhere to really sit while you have it so it is best to pop down to reception, grab what you want, and take it back to your room.
The rooms are spacious with heating and cooling, a large tv, a desk, a table, a microwave and a mini fridge. Bathroom was clean and adequate. No in-house room service, but they do utilise a delivery service, but why would you bother with so many great cafes and restaurants in the area?!
The neighbourhood was just lovely. It takes about 15-20 minutes to walk down to the Fisherman's Wharf area, and Russian Hill is a lovely spot with lots of cafes, bars, restaurants, boutique shops along Polk St and Chestnut St. I also love Fillmore St for shops and restaurants, in the Pacific Heights neighbourhood, which is about a 20 min walk from the hotel too.
It's not downtown, but actually I think it's much nicer, and downtown is still accessible (substantial walk or quick bus ride).
I recommend this hotel for a no-frills but very comfortable stay in San Francisco.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo