“Brilliant value and amazing staff”
Review of Inn on Broadway

Inn on Broadway
Ranked #172 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Melbourne, Australia
“Brilliant value and amazing staff”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

This place is great value for money. Welcoming, FRIENDLY and ATTENTIVE staff who answered all my questions. My room was clean (serviced daily), very spacious and secure, with all amenties (including large flatscreen TV, plenty of towels, soaps, free Wi-Fi and an excellent clothes iron for my clothes that had been squished in my suitcase -so grateful!) The bed was massive too. Very late one night I decided at last minute I wanted to book a Muir Woods tour for the next morning, so I rang the reception (unsure if I would miss out) and it was no dramas at all for the staff to answer my questions and sort it out. Within 5minutes I got a call back and they had booked me onto the first tour to leave the next morning, with zero hassle. For what I paid, I would happily return and stay again in the Inn on Broadway. I stayed in another hotel in SF (&paid twice the amount' with half the customer service) and wish Id stayed at the Inn on Broadway longer instead. I stayed on the 3rd level, so street noise wasn't really an issue. The Bus stops out the front door and I even walked to Fishermans wharf. Thanks for accommodating this disorientated Aussie on her first trip to the States. Loved my stay. & HIGHLY recommend!

Room Tip: My corner room was enormous and had sunshine come through the window
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Dav2207

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights at the end of feb. when we first arrived we were given a room with 2 double beds in the second floor. The tv want working and we had no fresh towels. We rang them to let them know and they came and resolved the problem almost immediately.

On the second day the person I stayed with decided to abandon me after an argument. He drove off in the vehicle we were travelling in and I was flying home from Las Vegas airport. The staff on reception were extremely helpful. They told me where I could use the Internet to print off coach tickets and where I could go to get other things I needed. I was also able to book the room for an extra night.

On leaving the hotel I was able to phone for a cab from my room and the reception phones me back within 5 minutes to let me know it had arrived. I was really grateful they had gone out of their way to help me when I was left in this horrible situation and its nice to know they actually care about the welfare of their guests.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Sarahe40
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Best kept secret for tourists in San Francisco!

I was looking for a reasonably priced hotel for my parents, my boyfriend and I and found this gem and it is definitely worth the price.

Stayed here 2/25/12 - 3/1/13

Family and I decided to come a day early, so I reserved us a 2 queen bed room (room 106) separately from our other reservations of two king rooms. Unfortunately there was a bit of confusion when we tried to check in at 1am on the 25th, but it was easily taken care of. Ramesh gave us a great price ($69 for the night) and got us right into our shared room with no hassle.

Next morning the lady at the front desk (unfortunately we didn't get her name) was extremely helpful. She got us checked into our two 2 king rooms (107/108) (both handicap rooms which was amazing) as soon as we checked out of the double room. Check in is at 3pm and check out is at 11am, so that helped us a lot since we didn't want to repack our car again.

Now for the pro and con lists.

Pro:
- Cheap price, $69 in advance and they do AAA discount as well.
- Free parking (check con list for downside of parking)
- Free wifi (though its a little slow/spotty)
- Great location, close to everything that anyone would want to do
- Updated rooms
- Super clean and cozy
- I felt super safe walking around, very much at home in this area.

Con:
- There is parking, however we came during the week so there wasn't many cars. However, one night we had to park downstairs in a handicap spot since there was no other places to park. Also, the ramp to go downstairs is terrible. No matter how slow you go, it scraps the bottom of your car.

- Maid service doesn't even acknowledge the "Do Not Disturb" sign. Every single day we left, both rooms were cleaned and beds made. Yes, that is nice of them, but my boyfriend had his guitar with him and we all had electronics (ipad, laptops). They also moved clothes and other items from the bed to make it, which was kinda weird (they could've just emptied the trash) We had the signs up for a reason and I have to mark the place down for that since the maid service didn't respect our privacy.

- Noise level. Not really too much noise, typical city noise. Street noise and some people walking/talking but not too much. We were on the bottom floor next to the office, so that might explain some of it. I actually liked hearing the bus.

I will definitely be returning to this hotel the next time I'm in the city.

Room Tip: Rooms up top would be quieter than street. Though the handicap rooms are bigger and very nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Stayed at the Broadway a couple of times...I come into SF pretty frequently, and a lot of the hotels can be really expensive. Found the Broadway, and the rates here are always reasonable. Parking & WiFi is free...The rooms are big, clean and in a pretty good location. Staff is SUPER friendly & accommodating (A big thanks to Ramesh & Sylvia for all the help)...Will stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ibx50
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here in Feb 2013 for 3 nights. This place is excellent value for money, in a great location on Van Ness and Broadway. We moved here from the Hostelling International Fishermans Wharf, which was not to our tastes, and were pleasantly surprised with the size and quality of the accommodation for the price ($10 cheaper than the hostel). We were able to park for free on site (a massive plus), and a quick phonecall to reception beforehand allowed us to park the car in the underground garage before we could check in. We were told we could check in from 3pm, but the room was not available until 4pm, but this didn't matter as we were given a nice quiet room on the 4th floor. The room was spacious and serviced daily. The hotel is a 10 min walk to Chinatown and Little Italy, through the Broadway tunnel. There are also lots of good local bars and restaurants nearby on Polk, a particularly good one is on the corner of broadway and polk called Rouge. We visited on a Tuesday, which had $2 Tacos and many drink specials - it was packed.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dave L
Fresno, California
Reviewed 14 February 2013

Stood a night at this motel and it was very comfortable. Ramesh was the person who helped us and he was very attentive and had a good way about him. I recommend staying here if you need to stay a night.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank RaquelLove
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Well since I was doing San Francisco on a budget I had first booked at the Travel lodge by the airport which was like 50$ a night as opposed to the 90 something bucks this place cost. Well, in short, I left a review of the travel lodge titled " Well if I was gonna start a meth lab.. I'd stay HERE! IT STINKS!!" and went on to add pictures of the brown stain on the ceiling, the blood/burns and white substance on the carpet and the dirty gross bathtub I quickly left that gross place spent my first night at a days inn nearby and then settled on this place. As my money was tied up on now booking a new hotel (and the travel lodge told me it would take 3-5 days to refund my credit card.. ugh!) I had to cut back on unnecessary eating out. This place provided some crucial things to being in San Francisco and living on hardly anything

- Ample parking (some hotels say they have parking, but it's only a few spots on a first come first serve basis and they fill up fast, which is a load of BS and semi misleading advertising IMO) but this place has one parking spot for every room, which is perfect!

-It's fairly cheap considering the area. One hotel I checked out was charging 219$ a night with no parking included and nothing fancy about it.. ouch! This room cost me 119$ on a busy weekend and 90 something$ on weekdays which I considered reasonable.

-You get a microwave and fridge in your room. SCORE! this was the reason I snapped up a room in this place. Since I was broke I did a quick google search (Oh and they have free WIFI! Another bonus!) and found a place called Foods co. A short drive away. Now Food co. is not an upscale grocery store but.. most things are priced like its 1995. So I picked up some frozen entrees, some canned goods, microwavable plastic plates (gotta make sure you buy the microwavable type), and plastic cutlery and snacks (Came out to 50$ with booze to feed two people for an entire week and I even had snacks and burritos to take along with me on the road trip back home.)

- Free WIFI as mentioned earlier

-Close to everything! I did a ton of walking here and it was all made possible by the proximity to this place.

-Clean and the noise was manageable. I was right on Broadway and if you're a light sleeper it could be bothersome but I found if you just kept the window shut it was great.

-Generally good area and decent clientele. I never felt unsafe in this area once! and I was out and about at all hours of the day.

-No bed bugs.. always a plus!

Cons

-Room smelt a little musty but that's just the air freshener they use.. they need a better air freshener.

-A little noise that may be bothersome if you're a light sleeper (In that case ask for a room on the quieter side of the hotel) Although I don't know if this is a con.. since I don't understand what you'd expect in a place that's close to everything, San Francisco is a busy city with traffic to match after all, as with any big city so some traffic noise is always to be expected.

-The coffee they provided everyday wasn't that horrible, but still on the low grade side. But considering most hotel coffee is just terrible, this stuff kept me going each and every morning pretty good... looking back I think I should have sprung for my own coffee though, oh! and if you like your coffee sweet and creamy I'd suggest you buy your own sugar cubes and cream. (they give you a very small amount in your coffee package for two everyday, which includes coffee grounds, two packages of sugar and two packages of coffee whitener)

- We put the do not disturb sign up when we were out and then saw our room had been cleaned when we came back. Nothing ever went missing, even the change on the counter, so that wasn't bad or anything, just surprising.

So overall if you want to do San Fran on the cheap, this place provides all the necessities for a solid price and it's clean with no bed bugs, plus I loved the room decor (For just a basic room they had very nice black and white pictures of San Fransisco on the walls)

This place overall made my trip to San Francisco a little better as it provided a nice clean and safe place to stay in.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the quieter side if you are a light sleeper. If you're not the noise is average...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple