“Needs Work”

Ranked #172 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Perth, Australia
“Needs Work”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

In short this is an old U shape motel on the intersection of two busy roads which needs a LOT of maintenance.
The room was clean and the location was close to union square and fisherman's wharf and offered onsite parking ... but that's about it.
I felt sorry for the lone employee with a small reception full of customers trying to check-in / out, after 40 minutes we checked in and then struggled with our luggage up to our rooms.

No soundproofing in the rooms, you could hear everything going on in the rooms around you and the ever present street noise. The lift reminded me of the tower of terror at Disney Land with the noises and shaking it made.
The website pictures definitely give it a better image than it actually is.

I'm sure there would be nicer places to stay for the price.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2013

STREET NOISE like you would not believe. Our room was initially king room 201 next to Van Ness Street. It was so loud, I thought I was standing on the street corner. Thank god, I was able to change into a double room into the middle of the U shape motel. This reduced the street noise but you could hear the rooms upstairs and beside you. Thus, if you are light sleeper, this place is not for you. As for the room, it was good for a budget motel. I paid $124 per night for 3 nights on the agoda website. All other websites showed $165. The website pictures give it a better image than it actually is. The bed was good but the bedding was slightly worn. The room was spacious and clean. The elevator is slow and sounds like it is going to die so we walked up the stairs all the time. Parking is pretty tight, so we never moved our car. We walked or took the cable car, Powell & Hyde - 4 blocks east (7-10 min walk) and California - 7 blocks south (10-15 min walk). There are lots of resteraunts on nearby Polk Street. If you are looking for a budget hotel, I would explore the places along Lombard Street before selecting this one. Or bring ear plugs.

Room Tip: Do not get a room next to Van Ness Street.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I am aware that hotels/motels are quite expensive in San Francisco but we have expected that we will receive things which we have paid for. Wi-fi was barely working, there was something wrong with signal in our tv (it was loosing signal for 1 sec every 10-15sec , very annoying). There must have been wooden ceiling as we have heard every step made by the person above us so we managed to sleep only when he/she was sleeping. Ride in elevator was a scary experience. Cleaner made a little effort to clean our room.
2 stars are given only because receptionist was helpful. she gave us useful tips about commute in SF , highlighted interesting places etc.

1 Thank gosiaczkowo D

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I stayed here a few years back and was pleasantly surprised so, being unable to book my preferred hotel as it was booked out I thought I'd give the "Inn on Broadway" a go.
When we arrived a little early (2pm) my wife and I were told the room would not be ready (as it was being cleaned) until 3.30pm so we walked nearby for a coffee and looked around the neighborhood and returned at 4.30pm and checked in, went up to our room and the cleaning lady was just starting! We then just put the bags back in the car and went down to Fisherman's Wharf and on our return I told the guy at checkin about the delay with cleaning and he just said "well we've been very busy and everyone is working double shifts".
The room was clean and quite well appointed but the bed was one of the softest and most uncomfortable I've ever slept in, and street noise was VERY loud! So all in all a very poor experience!

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The location is amazing. We took public transportation to Fisherman's Wharf, the boat to Alcatraz, to the Haight, Golden Gate Park, even the Giants stadium! A block away were many restaurants of various cuisines. The rooms are updated with comfortable beds and flat screen television. They were very clean! The WiFi could be spotty. We had a problem with the television one night and though it wasn't taken care of quickly, they were polite and informative about it and obviously working on it.

There could have been more info in the rooms about television stations, nearby restaurants and attractions. .The office was small and dark and often crowded so we didn't look to the staff much for help.

1 Thank draePDX
Stoke - On - Trent
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Stayed for 3 nights, the rooms are clean, there is free parking, free wifi, low room rates, and within walking distance of Fishermans Wharf, China Town, Union Square (10 - 15 minute walk).

Great place, no need to drive or use public transport for most tourist areas (excluding Golden Gate)

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Matthew J
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 March 2013

This place is great value for money. Welcoming, FRIENDLY and ATTENTIVE staff who answered all my questions. My room was clean (serviced daily), very spacious and secure, with all amenties (including large flatscreen TV, plenty of towels, soaps, free Wi-Fi and an excellent clothes iron for my clothes that had been squished in my suitcase -so grateful!) The bed was massive too. Very late one night I decided at last minute I wanted to book a Muir Woods tour for the next morning, so I rang the reception (unsure if I would miss out) and it was no dramas at all for the staff to answer my questions and sort it out. Within 5minutes I got a call back and they had booked me onto the first tour to leave the next morning, with zero hassle. For what I paid, I would happily return and stay again in the Inn on Broadway. I stayed in another hotel in SF (&paid twice the amount' with half the customer service) and wish Id stayed at the Inn on Broadway longer instead. I stayed on the 3rd level, so street noise wasn't really an issue. The Bus stops out the front door and I even walked to Fishermans wharf. Thanks for accommodating this disorientated Aussie on her first trip to the States. Loved my stay. & HIGHLY recommend!

Room Tip: My corner room was enormous and had sunshine come through the window
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo