“Big dishes”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, French
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Went here for breakfast on a Monday morning after seeing queues during the weekend and it was great. New Orleans inspired menu. Tip if you're travelling is to go there on a weekday.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Brendas was amazing! I had the donuts and shrimp and grits. The donuts were to die for!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shrimp and grits were a little spicy for my liking but overall a great brunch!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Oh my god. I will never forget this biscuit. I am something of a biscuit expert and am regularly disappointed by inferior products – this biscuit met and exceeded very biscuit expectation I have. They call them cream biscuits. I swear they’re using shortening, traditional style. I was so entranced I gobbled up my entire giant plate of eggs benedict and suffered stomach pangs afterward (all that rich goodness of soul food). The rest was good too – sweet tangy slice of ham – spinach. The hollandaise sauce was a little bitter or something but good – still not a sauce I would wax romantic over. I got the potatoes over the hash browns at the waitress’ recommendation – they were probably the second best item on plate (second to the amazing delicious cream biscuits of course) – smothered in some sort of red rub with chives. We were there for dinner on Sunday, which turned out to be their breakfast for dinner night. The wine was disappointing – both little glasses I got – one French country white wine and the other sparkling rose – although the price ($6) should have clued me in. My friend was wanting salad – the waitress set her straight – this is no place for health nuts. Other words to the wise for the squeamish, the setting outside and inside the restaurant is something that will appeal to some and completely repel others. It’s on the borders of the Tenderloin – a strikingly depressed neighborhood – we found out the next day a tourist was shot (not fatally) two blocks up from the restaurant. Despite that, Polk St itself is certainly not the worst the Tenderloin has to offer – it’s more the areas east of this restaurant (like 100 ft east) you want to avoid walking through. The restaurant itself has a ramshackle shack feeling – basically a rectangle separated by a half wall into two spaces. The hostess area is tight so they move you to a ‘corridor’ (a breezy entryway at the exit of the restaurant) to wait for your table – you can get drinks while you wait from the hostess once she’s dealt with other customers. The tables are not cute or charming and are pretty tightly packed in. There was a gypsy jazz band wedged into a corner of the restaurant – the band was good and added to the ambiance – but with our table right next to them, the sax numbers made conversation difficult. Despite the quality of the food, this is no uppity restaurant – and if you have any love in your soul for New Orleans, you’ll love this restaurant.

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

On a recent trip to San Francisco, we made a return trip (our third) to Brenda's. It was worth the wait on a Sunday morning. Though they didn't have my favorite dish that day - sweet potato pancakes - I made a valiant attempt to eat all of my cream cheese-stuffed French Toast with blueberry compote. If I hadn't already choked with friends on the beignet sampler, I might have made it. A memorable meal.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This review is not for the local person in San Fransisco, but for the visitor. The locals already know about Brenda's. The food is great, the portions are huge and the price is perfect. We had breakfast and wish we could have returned for lunch and dinner.