“Nice Room/Unfriendly Staff”

Ranked #171 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Modesto
“Nice Room/Unfriendly Staff”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

The Location is Pretty Good, The People Behind the counter were not the least Bit Helpful.
I Have stayed in that area a Lot so that Part didn't bother me to much. Limited off Street Parking
is a Plus in San Francisco But was a Nightmare there, I was Told I had to move My Car By 8 AM
for There Staff (Rudely at 3:30 AM) I asked where I could Park at 8 AM? Was told maybe some one would leave by Then. Room was pretty Nice and Clean. Never could get connected to
the Internet for some reason. Ended up going to a internet Cafe and Paid to look for another
Room for the next Day that would fit my needs more. Would Have to be a GREAT Rate for me to stay there again...And If You are coming from out of there area you might want to look farther, There are other pretty nice places that offer free off street parking and are helpful,
and greet you with a smile.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Rodney K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Last week, I’ve been in 4 different US states, in each, I booked all through HotWire (prepay , get a hotel...risky , I know...)
3 of the Hotels were actually great (Paramount in NY, Best Western in Cambridge, Peabody Court in Baltimore).
However , arriving to San Francisco , I got to experience a “slightly different” scenario.

I landed from my long flight from Baltimore to San Francisco at 10:30pm , picked up the car and drove to my hotel.
Upon arrival , I walked to a dark external counter (i.e. I’m out in the cold, buzzing a bell , while the “lobby” is shielded with a bullet proof window).
A guy came out of the back , as if I had woken him up.

I told him I have a reservation and he didn’t really know what I was talking about.
He asked me for my last name , and proceeded to check and say: “no”.

He told me that “the credit card was declined. We have rooms, but you need to pay cash”.

After arguing for a while , I realised that there’s no point , and left to go and sleep at an old friends house which was kind enough to accept me at 00:30 in the night.

I only wish I had recorded this insane scenario. As this is definitely a first for me and a first I’ve EVER heard of.

Now I'm working on getting a refund from HotWire (as the card was NOT DECLINED).
Not a great experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Maorsadra

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Los Gatos, California
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Although this hotel is on the edge of the Tenderloin District, it's much nicer than many of the reviews on this site might lead you to believe. (Yes, the area IS iffy.) I stayed there for 2 nights and found the room to be extremely clean, nicely updated, and overall "up to par". The young adults working the front desk were fantastic - pleasant, helpful, and eager to fix anything that wasn't quite right. I think, though, that they are not usually the ones working there. Kudos to them for being so pleasant, though.

The room had a very nice couple of beds, both of which had really comfortable mattresses. However, each bed had only 1 blanket, and there were no extra blankets in the room, which I found to be really weird. My colleague and I were at a convention, in a room with 2 double beds. When we requested more blankets, the hotel only had one. ONE. Really? So she gave me the blanket and threw her coat onto her bed. That should not have to happen.

There were some weird things wrong. WiFi did not work in my room (#204). Breakfast was from 8-10 (great if you are a senior citizen on vacation, not so hot if you are a business traveler.) The housekeepers couldn't seem to remember to leave coffee cups in the room to work with the coffee pot and coffee. The lighted makeup mirror wouldn't light. The hair dryer was a gazillion years old and close to useless. And the clock radio was dead. There was no tub stopper when I checked in, but they did bring me one upon request.

The bathroom had a wonderful Toto Toilet and a shower/tub combo that is elaborate, elegant but WAY TOO COMPLICATED. You can overdue the elegance thing when something is too hard to figure out. There was a framed posted on how to work the shower, and even then, I had baths that were little more than tepid and initially assumed that they simply had the temperature turned down. Eventually, as we were about to leave, I had the Ah Ha with how to make the shower and tub water come out at a reasonable temperature. I have never seen anything like it and wish I had taken a photo of the instruction poster. To the hotel's credit, they did have the poster. But the printing on the faucet itself was super hard to read (push and turn or something along those lines)....

The last thing I have to mention is parking. I reserved this room through the travel agency used by the National Association of Realtors for the NAR conference in San Francisco. I told the reservation clerk that I needed a room with 2 beds as I had a friend sharing the room with me, but we didn't want to share a bed. What no one told me is that this hotel only allows one car per room. Had I known that upfront, I never would have made the reservations with my non-refundable payment.

Our cost was $249 per night, or $590 for two nights with taxes, fees, etc. Long story short: not a bad hotel, but way, way too expensive for both the location and the shortcomings. I'm sure the price was due to my last-minute reservation through NAR and the fact that the conference caused hotels near Moscone to sell out.

Would I stay there again? No. I think that some of the issues are fixable: the weird stuff wrong in the room, the upfront disclosures about parking, the availability of little things like blankets, coffee cups and tub stoppers. The area cannot be fixed. The price - well, that's a factor of the market. But certainly no one should pay what we did to stay there.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank MaryPope-Handy
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

I didn't feel safe there! You are greeted with a hello and a request for your driver's license and credit card thru a 2 inch glass protected window. The manager seemed defensive when I asked if this area was safe. My room was right next to the parking lot. There was lots of foot traffic too. I would not recommend this hotel for people staying alone or with families.

Stayed October 2013
3 Thank seattlerupali
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

This place reminds me of prisoner cell block H except the inmates are still wandering the premises outside the cells at night!!! Rooms were filthy and smelt dirty. Carpets were sticky and got bitten after one night in the bed. Wifi is charged at 14 dollars a day but you have to deal with the reception staff to get it who say they take 30 dollars off your card. The reception is a long walk from the 'cells' and I would advise you do not walk alone in that area late at night. I got a lift on an open buggy and the porter was suggestive and perving the whole journey there and back. I literally ran up the stairs and bolted myself in the room. Avoid at all costs. It's at least a 25 minute walk to the strip also.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Lauraine7
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Creepy neighborhood. Wifi did not work at all. The room was ok but they called us in the morning to know when they could go ahed and clean our room, disregarding the "do not disturb" sign we put on the door. Also loud neighborhood and thin walls, you can hear people shouting in the street in the middle of the night. This hotel is really expensive considering the poor service and the bad location. My advice is stay away from this place

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank deuspi
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We stayed here for three nights. This is in the mission area of San Francisco there are three missions a minute up the street and the area is flooded with homeless people and drug addicts because they stay near the missions to avoid being arrested and to get a place to stay for a night. On one evening we arrived back to find a man on the stairs to the room. We are not people who are easily intimidated or frightened but walking back to the hotel even early evening not late was quite unnerving. We were told not to walk around at night by a guide on a tour we went on.

The hotel room was ok, sink in room rather than bathroom but not a big deal. The walls are really thin and you can hear everything in the next rooms. The staff were odd to be honest for the first few days we weren't allowed in the office and had to do everything through the glass and microphone facility which doesn't help matters and in that area is not pleasant. They weren't particularly helpful either the only thing they helped with were directions for the bus to the airport.

Breakfast is not really breakfast it's cereal in the office(when your allowed in) you have to take a tray from your room and take your breakfast back with you. None of this is explained to you.

Not great and would not recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends