“Location Can't be beat”

GreenLeadersGold level
Crownsville
“Location Can't be beat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

Great convenient location, Well appointed clean rooms, high speed elevators, Very polite and attentive staff, Quiet and peaceful for a city center hotel. Have never had a bad experience in a Mariott hotel. Only negative was a big convention and lobby crowding.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2012

We booked this hotel because of it's great location in the middle of great shopping at Union Square. What a surprise! We got a great rate for the concierge floor which had terrific breakfasts, appetizers in the early evening & deserts later in the evening. Our room was clean, modern bathroom with Bath & Body products and the most comfortable mattress one could ask for. There is a turndown service each evening where they refresh towels and leave chocolates for guests. We normally travel with Hilton and in fact moved on to a Hilton property in San Diego. The Hilton could not compare to the Marriott's comfort & service. Highly recommend!!!

Room Tip: If you ask for a higher floor the views are great.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

I will keep it simple. Excellent stay at this hotel. Clean, somewhat new, great helpful staff, you can't beat the location right in the middle of it all in Union Square. I had a king bed room on the 22nd floor (Room 2221 with an amazing view of the city and Coit Tower - ask for it!). Congrats to the management of this hotel. You are keeping it nice for all of us.

Room Tip: Room 2221 - The higher you go, the most amazing view you will have.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank mrod1026
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

I'm a Marriott gal for their convenience, dependability, and pet-friendly policy.

When I travel for work, I always request a Marriott, so I have stayed here the nation over. The SF Union Square location is my new favorite, hands down.

When I checked in, they were not able to accommodate the room preferences I had pre-specified with my reservation, so I was promptly upgraded to a Jr Suite, free of charge.

The room was stunning--floor to ceiling windows with panoramic views of the city. Even in the bathroom! Being on East coast time, I woke up early, sat in bed, and watched the fog roll in over the rooftops. Magic.

I was also exhausted when I arrived after a 7 hr flight, so just ordered room service. (Something I typically avoid.) Holy garlic prawn, feta, and arugula pizza! I scarfed the entire thing...carbs be damned.

The entire room was spotless...and the perfectly-pressurized rain shower?? Yes, please!

As others have remarked, a big benefit of this place is location. I had read the weather report a few days before traveling, which promised 78 degrees and sunny in SF. Ha. I woke up to a 52 degree, foggy day and was woefully underdressed for a client meeting. Needed tights and new shoes ASAP. I walked outside to find both a DSW and Aerosole right on the block. Done and done. (Not to mention Walgreens, Starbucks, Macy's, etc. Convenience. You get the idea.)

I'm surprised at other reviewers who have commented on sub-par customer service. This is not the Intercontinental, people. You won't find people tucking Ghiradelli chocolates under your pillow. That said, I found the staff courteous, pleasant, and responsive.

In fact, after leaving SF to drive up the coast, I realized I had left my phone charger in the room. I called to see if it had been turned in, and sure enough, the cleaning staff had promptly returned it to the front desk. (A lesson to everyone: ALWAYS remember to tip your room staff!) I was able to pick it up before my return flight home and charge my phone in the lobby.

Overall it was an excellent stay and I am looking forward to coming back if work brings me to the city on the Bay.

Room Tip: Just a tip: as a city hotel in a busy area, it can be a tad noisy @ nite. I always travel with earpl...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank KR_bklyn
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

It's a first time stay at a Marriot hotel. So far it's one of the best hotels i've stayed. I felt the staff really put the best forward and stepped up to the plate to make me and my family to be welcomed. They answered my questions about touring San Francisco and gave really awesome advice of where to go and how to plan my tour of the bay. The price was a bit much for me, I'm satisfied staying a motel 6 or comfort inn. But this trip was planned around out of country family members, and I wanted to be happy and comfortable on their first trip here. The location was another key since it close to everything we wanted to see without getting into a car (traffic is nuts in downtown).

Room Tip: The pillows in the rooms were so freakin' soft. I couldn't get enough of them. I would pro...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012 via mobile

I am a loyal Marriott customer with platinum status in past and current gold status. I have had good and bad experiences Marriott in many countries which I have visited or lived in over last 10 years. By far this property is the worst in terms of customer service and being tourist friendly.

Location is excellent. Getting in to the hotel is easy but that's where all our fun came to an end.

Hotel checking in took 30 min at 11 am. Inspire of being a status member no upgrades were provided. When asked for concierge we were told that she had gone for lunch and need to come back later.

Room which we had was tiny and all backside view. We paid top dollars to spend 1 night and we were not given a decent room.

We ordered some delivery food and the delivery guy directly came up to our room for the delivery without any notification from the front desk that we have some visitor. There is no sense of privacy and anyone can just walk up without proper check. I have never had such an experience. I would expect a courtesy call from front desk.

When we requested for some plates and cutlery we were provided with cheap plastic cutlery. It forced me to think if I was in best western or in Marriott.

On the day of departure the bell man got us a cab to which we believe he had some commission tied up. When we reached airport and started to pay by card the cab driver yells at us that it was cash only deal and no cards. We didn't have enought cash and we were not told at the start of our journey that it was cash only. We did end up paying by card but I think it was very unprofessional of the bellman not to tell us in advance and push us into a cab where he had his own personal interest.

I am surely a bit upset with level of service at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

I was there on 09/22/12

I had the best stay EVER.
GREAT HOTEL, AMAZING LOCATION, CLEAN, GREAT ROOMS, CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN
I was able to Check in before 3pm, I was comp late check out at 1pm. The Front Desk clerk Andres was AMAZING, he directed us to all the good places in the city, I wish all front desk people were as friendly and knowledgable as Andres. Big Kudos to Andres and his team.
Centrally located. The Troley is right there at the corner of the hotel, the world famous Lories Dinner is accross the street, walk up a bit up on same block to find an amazing suhi place (Maru Sushi).
Great eats even after hours all around the hotel, just gotta walk up 1 or 2 mini blocks.
They also have a great, clean and peacefull fitness area inside the hotel (level C)

My Downfall: I wish I had stayed longer

This hotel will blow your socks off, AMAZING!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends