“Good choice for downtown SF”

San Francisco Marriott Union Square
Ranked #45 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Mexico City, Mexico
“Good choice for downtown SF”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

This Marriott property offers spacious rooms, good amenities, very well put exec lounge and one of the best locations in town, facing Union Square. The rates are high, even with a corporate agreement, but still more accessible than Four Seasons and Hyatt. The restauran downstairs offers a good wine selection and great food. All in all, a good choice for downtown SF.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Madison, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Well yes it is very expensive. It's in the middle of Union Square San Francisco, so you pay for the location and the top notch service. This hotel is just about in the perfect location. Dozens of shops and restaurants are all within walking distance. We even walked to the baseball park from there. The trolleys and buses stop right on the corner too. The service is really good all around. The woman at the bar spent quite a bit of time giving us restaurant tips in the area. The check-in folks were great as well. Plus the doormen were just the best. I couldn't open a door on my own there if I tried! They really do a good job of making sure you have everything you need. The rooms are average in size, but kudos for the smokin' hot water and water pressure in the shower. Loved that. If you have access to the concierge lounge I definitely recommend it. Very good breakfast during the week and good snacks in the evenings, along with great service. I can't complain about the WIFI or other breakfast since we are platinum and didn't have to deal with those costs. If I had to complain about anything in this hotel, it's that there is no parking, only valet, and it was over $60 a day! Do NOT bring a car. I don't know how hotels get away with that kind of parking price, but I guess people pay it so they charge it. I guess if you want cheap hotels and free parking you can try getting out of the middle of the city. But this hotel suited us. We wanted to be where everything is and this is it. If you are willing to pay, I definitely recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Barbados
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

I stayed on the 21st floor here very recently. This is a well located hotel on Sutter street at the junction with Powell. Lori's Diner is right across serving tasty breakfast and too many choices at that. Walgreens is across and so is Star Bucks. What more do you need? Not enough? Seven eleven IS FEW STEPS AWAY FROM WALGREENS.
Their in house restaurant BIN 480 is also quite good. The waitress is quite smart and polite. I suspect she is from Vietnamese origin but obviously one of the best I have seen. Their pizza with mushrooms is very delicious. So is pizza with garlic prawns. Room service is prompt too.House keeping is good in changing bed linen, towels and sundries.The hotel is clean even though not recent. It could do with some refurbishing if you ask me. The rates are high and I would go to JW Marriott which is a stone's throw away at Mason street. Will write about it separately. JW Marriott is the next place I stayed at. I loved both the hotels. The location of 480 is far better compared to JW. Nearby Indian restaurant was 3 blocks away on Ellis street [New Delhi] Will review it separately as well. Thanks folks at Marriott. I loved my stay. Only regret is that I forgot to leave a tip for our housekeeping lady who was so considerate to us. I f I visit SFO again, I will visit the hotel just to tip her.

Room Tip: Higher floors less noisy.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Visited in August, so was very busy. Nonetheless the front desk and all the staff were courteous and efficient. Room wasn't the best view but I expected that having made a v late booking. The room was spacious and beds comfortable. The bar was an oasis of calm, and the food and service excellent. The most annoying aspect of the stay was the lack of free wifi. The Marriott needs to quickly move with the times. Trying to sell an internet connection as a premium business add-on is in these days frankly pathetic. Decent Wifi is now an expected basic utility and to charge more on top of an expensive room rate can only alienate and irritate customers.

Room Tip: The diner next door was great for breakfast
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Joe M
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We came here to celebrate my mom's 50th birthday. It was a family trip and the hotel was great! The views of Union Square were amazing, and it was a very walkable area. The hotel was good with recommendations of where to go and eat, and the hotel bar was very cozy. Great trip!

Valet parking only and it is EXPENSIVE, but that is expected in San Francisco.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Milan, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Magnific rooms, very comfort king sized beds and a spectacular view from our 23th floor bedroom!!
The hotel is clean, but wifi and breakfast are not included!
Prices are too high and they don't offer us sleepers or bath robes.
I'm changing my hotel reservation for the Hilton one.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank BeaSimo1
Oscar480, General Manager at San Francisco Marriott Union Square, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for your comments about our hotel.

I am pleased that you found our rooms and beds to be excellent. I apologize that breakfast and internet is not included in our rates. I appreciate the feedback and thank you for staying with us.

Oscar R.
stockton on tees
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We spent two nights at this city centre hotel for our visit to San Francisco. Situated close to Union Square where all the city tour buses gather, the Marriott’s location was ideal. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was what we expected for a hotel such as this. It was a reasonable size, clean and well decorated and on the twenty something floor it had a superb view across the city and the bay in the distance. Another advantage to the height was the night time quietness from the city below. Free wifi was offered but I could not log on in the room having missed the all important words ‘complimentary wifi...in the lobby’ on our arrival. This hotel is excellent but like any San Francisco hotels of this standard, very expensive in our view. This is why we have rated it as only ‘very good’ because for what you pay it should be! We had our evening meals in the hotel but had breakfast at Lori’s diner across the street which was excellent. We had a hop on - hop off tour of the city from Union Square which we had pre-booked but this was not necessary as you could just turn up. There are several companies offering much the same tour. The cable cars go by outside the Marriott but they are always crowded with long lines, but at around 6am they are empty so perhaps this is the time to catch a ride...we didn’t, but hey ho. Great hotel for staying in the city centre.

Room Tip: A high floor gives a goodnight's sleep, very little noise from the street below.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple