The Dakota Hotel
US$260
US$185
MysticHotel.com
  • Restaurant
Comfort Inn by the Bay(San Francisco)
US$217
  • Breakfast included
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$290
US$235
  • Restaurant
InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$254
US$222
  • Room Service
Hotel Rex San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$258
US$212
  • Restaurant
San Francisco Marriott Marquis(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$511
US$476
Marriott Hotels
  • Bar/Lounge
InterContinental San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$405
US$345
InterContinental
  • Pool
US$444
US$398
  • Restaurant
Hotel Zoe Fisherman's Wharf(San Francisco)
US$329
US$278
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 March 2013

The hotel is a total dump. No need to consider this place. The room was totally dirty. The bed was dirty. Avoid this place like the plague. If we knew any better, we would not have booked this place. Save your money and book elsewhere. The only thing going for this place is the location.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank RahulI_13
Reviewed 5 December 2012

When I left New York and moved to San Francisco, two different private rooms in the Dakota were my home for the first three weeks. And what a home it was. I had stayed in their sister hotel (the Fitzgerald) when I had visited a few months prior, and there was no doubt in my mind that the Dakota, Fitzgerald, or Adelaide (they are all sister hotels) was where I wanted to be.
The rooms are clean and cozy. The staff are usually friendly and enthusiastic about community building. The location is convenient, right downtown, blocks away from the Powell-Market transit hub. The price is extremely competitive and affordable. Many of the staff and guests live there long term, and there is a sense of ownership and pride in the hotel's atmosphere, cleanliness, and livability.
Guests are of all ages and backgrounds, but there are weekly evening events including a pub crawl, poker night, and wine and cheese night, which are perfect for 20-something travellers looking to make friends and see the city.
Of course, the devil is in the details, which is what ultimately cemented my high opinion of the Dakota. The water is good quality. It's not hard water, it was easy on my skin, and I could drink from the tap. The bathrooms were spacious, the tubs were deep, the sinks were wide. The carpet was clean, and dust was almost non-existent. The mattresses were firm, and the sheets were new. The view was charming. The lounge was very cozy, with old, upholstered furniture that made me feel like I was checking my internet in a wealthy uncle's library.
I was there for three weeks, and any time an issue arose, the staff handled it promptly, with professionalism and care...making a point to follow up with me later on. They gave me, not just tourist's advice, but helped me in my search for jobs, apartments, and community organizations.
I haven't stayed at any other hotels in San Francisco...but having found the Dakota, I don't feel like I need to. I recommend this place highly!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Hasan U
Reviewed 3 December 2012 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying here this summer and had to write a review. I arrived in SF during peak season and have to say most hotels downtown had no space and didnt seem to want to help either! Until I walked into the Dakota that is. The girl Suprita on reception went above and beyond to find space for my friend and I and I couldn't have been more grateful. The hotel itself is clean, big and smack in the middle of the heart of SF. Anything you could ask for is a stones throw away and you will never be stuck for something to do, especially with the free activities set up by the hotel in the lounge all week, poker night, trivia night and free wine and cheese! In fact it's all free! Breakfast is included too and also a free walking tour. I can't wait to come back here already made my desecration :)

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I have been travelling all over the West Coast for a couple of months now, and this is surely one of the best places I have been to! The location is amazing, walking distance from anything you might want to visit and very well connected. It is in the center of the city, so there are a lot of places to eat and drink around. I had a room on the 7th floor and the view was literally amazing.Everything was very clean, rooms have tv and fridge. The bathroom was clean, with shower and tube and everything is in an exquisite San Francisco victorian style.
I really enjoyed breakfast, you have choice of jams, chocolate, bread, porridge, fruits, coffee and more and it is a buffet breakfast, so all you can eat!!! Internet is fast,I finally could have a good chat with my friends on Skype. There are also free computers to use if you don't have any laptop. The staff is helpful and friendly,they made me feel totally at home. Everybody knows the city by heart and I have been suggested some great places that I am sure I would not have found if they hadn't told me. Special thanks to Liz who sent me to the best pizza place in town! The hotel has also 24h reception and it is super safe. It is a great value both for the area and the service provided. Highly recommended to all kinds of travellers!

Room Tip: Rooms on the highest floor are quieter and have a breathtaking view of the city
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Dakota hotel during my stay in SF and had to leave a review after my experience. The hotel is in central downtown just 2 blocks from union sq and all of the city lights. Public transport is easily accessible from the hotel, with cable cars, the muni and bart all within minutes of the hotel, bringing everywhere in SF within reach. The rooms are spacious, super clean and fantastic for the price. I stayed in another hotel within a block of the Dakota and found it to be subpar in comparison and vastly higher in expense. The Dakota staff are wonderful and always at hand no matter what hour to lend a hand. The hotel itself is beautiful and rustic and the ornate elevator is something to see! looks like something out of the movies. Id definitely recommend the hotel, with the nights they put on for no extra charge to entertain the guests (trivia night, poker night, wine and cheese free!) and the free breakfast in the morning, you really cant pick a better place for the price.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are biggest, however, all of the rooms in the dakota are pretty big. They are clean, bright and definitely a cut above other hotels that cost considerably more.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends