“Hostel prices for decent yet 'basic-traditional' old city hotel.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Dakota Hotel

The Dakota Hotel
Ranked #187 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Wallasey, United Kingdom
“Hostel prices for decent yet 'basic-traditional' old city hotel.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

Me and 4 mates shared a room here at the beginning of our road trip. We had a room with double, single and bunks. It served its purpose and outdone any hostel options in the area at a good price. Real,old style San Fran hotel. Tight stairs, industrial lift. Sash windows out on to external fire exts/staircases. 2 minute walk to union square. Verging on the tenderloin but so what, great bit of town.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Clicelillie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

My boyfriend and I booked a private room with Adelaide Hostel and we were directed to their affiliated Dakota Hotel which is just along the next street. Location was great. It was near the town area. However, on our final night we were unable to have a good night's sleep as there were some loud screaming coming from the streets in the middle of the night and this went on for an hour or two. You might want to arm yourself with some ear plugs if you are a light sleeper. Love the quaint old-school elevator which helps a great deal when you are lugging your luggage around and the last thing you'd want is to have to scale flights of stairs.

Includes complimentary simple breakfast which includes toast, cereal and beverage.

Staff are really helpful as we shipped some packages over to them before we collected them on our final day and this was done smoothly without any hiccups.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Piao L
Greymouth, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

I only stayed one night in Dakota but spent 4 nights at the sister hostel the Adelaide and became part of the family. Joe, Kevin and Beth in particular were stay out performers but a bunch of the others were good too. The toilets and room were clean and the social aspect of the hostel was spot on.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Lyndon B
Storrs, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013

My friend and I booked a private double room with the Adelaide Hostel and got a room in the Dakota Hotel. It is not a Hilton...it is a hostel. Taking this into account, it wasn't bad. I would stay there again. We had a fridge, a microwave, and our own private bathroom. We were on the 7th floor, but the hotel had an elevator (it was old school, but kind of neat). There was also a complimentary breakfast each morning, which consisted mostly of bread, bagels, and assorted jellies. But, it was free, and there were pots/pans available, in case we wanted to make a more substantial breakfast. There were also events hosted at night, though because of our limited time in San Francisco, we were unable to take advantage of them. This hotel is located on Post Street, which was a prime location for us. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Sarah521912
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

Great location to downtown spot. Very basic but definitely worth saving the money over other fancier hotels. Free continental breakfast in the morning to get you by and free events nightly. We didn't get a chance to take advantage of any of the events but would have if we had more time. Had a very European hostel feel. We had a room with a window next to the street that we had to keep open at night to keep it cool so there were a lot of street noises but it didn't bother us as my husband and I are both heavy sleepers. Would recommend if you are looking for an affordable spot in a great location.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angela G
Mesa, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

The hotel is a total dump. No need to consider this place. The room was totally dirty. The bed was dirty. Avoid this place like the plague. If we knew any better, we would not have booked this place. Save your money and book elsewhere. The only thing going for this place is the location.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Rahul I

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

When I left New York and moved to San Francisco, two different private rooms in the Dakota were my home for the first three weeks. And what a home it was. I had stayed in their sister hotel (the Fitzgerald) when I had visited a few months prior, and there was no doubt in my mind that the Dakota, Fitzgerald, or Adelaide (they are all sister hotels) was where I wanted to be.
The rooms are clean and cozy. The staff are usually friendly and enthusiastic about community building. The location is convenient, right downtown, blocks away from the Powell-Market transit hub. The price is extremely competitive and affordable. Many of the staff and guests live there long term, and there is a sense of ownership and pride in the hotel's atmosphere, cleanliness, and livability.
Guests are of all ages and backgrounds, but there are weekly evening events including a pub crawl, poker night, and wine and cheese night, which are perfect for 20-something travellers looking to make friends and see the city.
Of course, the devil is in the details, which is what ultimately cemented my high opinion of the Dakota. The water is good quality. It's not hard water, it was easy on my skin, and I could drink from the tap. The bathrooms were spacious, the tubs were deep, the sinks were wide. The carpet was clean, and dust was almost non-existent. The mattresses were firm, and the sheets were new. The view was charming. The lounge was very cozy, with old, upholstered furniture that made me feel like I was checking my internet in a wealthy uncle's library.
I was there for three weeks, and any time an issue arose, the staff handled it promptly, with professionalism and care...making a point to follow up with me later on. They gave me, not just tourist's advice, but helped me in my search for jobs, apartments, and community organizations.
I haven't stayed at any other hotels in San Francisco...but having found the Dakota, I don't feel like I need to. I recommend this place highly!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo