“A good insight into Victorian San Fransisco”

Haas - Lilienthal House
Book In Advance
More Info
US$69.00*
and up
Go San Francisco Card
Ranked #148 of 567 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: This Queen Anne style home, now a museum, was the house where the merchant family of blue jeans (Haas) and canned goods (Lilienthal) lived.
Reviewed 23 May 2014

An interesting insight into the Victorian era in San Francisco. The tour (which was almost personal as there was only 4 of us) was very good, with the guide very enthusiastic about the subject and very engaging.
It was also interesting learning about the earthquake of 1906 and the aftermath in the city.

$8 entrance fee as of April '14

1  Thank marct0603

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We had high hopes of a self directed tour through the house. We were told that that wasn't possible..a tour had just started and they were an hour long. You could see it was a genuine old house in the lobby and the price, as I remember it, was $5 for seniors. If I had gone through it I don't know if I would have had trouble with the steps.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Very beautiful building with great history. Check for polish volunteer guide - she is the best!
You will lear a LOT of history in very interesting and not boring way!

Reviewed 12 February 2014

This Queen Anne House is a wonderful example of the architecture of upper middle class homes in SF in the late 1800s. Its rarity is emphasized by the fact that many of this type were destroyed in the 1906 earthquake. This style of home is almost emblematic of a bygone era in northern CA as you see these homes in well preserved neighborhoods in this region. It seems that they are not as pervasive in other parts of the country. That was why this opportunity to go through this home was attractive to me in the short time I could do anything "touristy" when I was in SF. According to my guide, this is the only home of its kind that can be toured in the city. The tours were indeed all guided by one of the docents. In my case, the guide was very good and very informative about the home, the family and the era. The lower levels were very attractive rooms done very elegantly in period furnishings. The upstairs living quarters were more practical as was normally the case but still showed the same sort of elegance of comfortable living. The train set in the downstairs area was impressive and worth a look as well. Within the narrative of the story of this house and family was also a good dose of SF history from the late 1800s to the early 1900s and I considered that a terrific bonus. Some of the stories regarding the earthquake were particularly intriguing since that was a major event. In all, I thought this was worth the time. If you are interested in seeing homes furnished in the period, put this on your SF itinerary. The price was reasonable and I unquestionably felt that I got my money's worth.

3  Thank Debbie K
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The home is beautiful and you get to see most of it and they have kept it in very good shape. Tour takes about an hour and has some interesting history about San Francisco and education about Victorian architecture. Well worth the $8 tour cost

2  Thank AmyWren