“Playland at the Beach”

US$59.00*
San Francisco Grand City Tour by Luxury Motorcoach
Ranked #76 of 552 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: At the edge of the Pacific, beachcomb, build sand castles or bonfires, but don't swim. The tumultuous waters can be too rough to handle.
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I was born in San Francisco at St. Mary's Hospital. I was raised in South San Francisco. I loved the ocean beach because of Playland at the Beach. It was a wonderful amusement park back in the 1950-1960s. I remember there was a great fun house, penny arcade, and other amusement games. I recall, a feris wheel and roller coaster too. In the 1970s the city tore down Playland at the Beach and they replaced it with condos. How sad! I am not sure but I think the It's It Ice Cream factory is still there.

1  Thank Sue3266
There are newer reviews for Ocean Beach

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We took the N Judah train out to Ocean Beach thinking we'd see the Pacific side of San Francisco. It was a nice ride, about a half hour from Civic Center, with most of it outside. It was really amazing to see and feel the difference in weather! We left sunny, mild civic center and ended up in cold cloudy Ocean Beach. We definitely weren't dressed for the cold, but did manage a brisk walk on the beach - note that there is no boardwalk, you are walking right on the beach. it is nice and wide, and empty. We saw Cliff House and a few surfers. Afterwards we crossed the street to the Beach Chalet to warm up and grab something to drink/eat and then wandered around the park a bit. The whole visit was a bit more than 2 hours, but the beach is free, if the weather was nicer we probably would have stayed longer.
Despite the cold, it was well worth the trip and visit.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I have to say that although this was my first time at the ocean, it just wasn't for me. My wife enjoyed frolicking in the water and looking for shells but I just could not get personally excited about it. Yes the view is gorgeous and the ocean is inspiring in its own right, just not my cup of tea I guess.

1  Thank Ryan E
Reviewed 4 March 2014

After walking all the afternoon in the Golden Gate park, my sister and I walked to this beach for our first contact with the Pacific ocean!! We took our shoes off and walked under the sun and the wind. It was a fantastic place, although we were almost alone because it was too cold and windy! I recognize this place in Blue Jasmine movie!

1  Thank Cecile633
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Very very windy but the view is beautiful. It is a place where kite surfers go and locals to walk their dogs. The beach was clean for the most part. it was my first time here and I am glad we made the stop.