“Only for people who like their tongue on fire”
Review of DOSA on Fillmore

Neighbourhood: Pacific Heights
Cross street: Post Street
Transit: Fillmore - 22 Sutter - 2, 3, 4 Geary - 38, 38L
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Just took my kids to Dosa on Fillmore last night for dinner. I like the open modern feel of the place. The music was a bit loud and the tables are a bit too close together and I had to listen to the conversation of the men next to us. I came here because I heard that they had gluten free items. The allergy menu lists "wheat free" items but should really clarify "gluten free" since they are not the same thing. I had a nice waitress and asked her for suggestions for mild dishes. She basically said that they didn't really have mild dishes. The chef/cooks make things their own way and refuse to make changes to their food for customers who prefer things on the milder side. Perhaps this explains why a large portion of the customers were Indian.
I ordered the Masala Dosa and it came in a gigantic pancake with the potato part hidden in the middle. There was a soup to dip the pancake in. The soup tasted good but was much too spicy for me. The potato part was tasty but with a kick. Not as good as the masala dosas my friend, Meena, used to make but pretty good. Next I got vegetables fried in a gluten free dough. I didn't enjoy them. My daughter got chicken biryani (which can not be made less spicy or else I would have ordered it). It comes in a bowl with chicken legs still on the bone. I tasted the rice and it set my tongue on fire. My daughter ate it but we went through two bottles of mineral water. She said it cleared up her sinuses. The only part my son and I got to enjoy was dessert. We had the mango pudding which was wonderful. My daughter had cake that she liked. I would come back for dessert only. If you love super spicy food this is your place. They use good ingredients and therefore expect to pay a lot more that your usual local Indian restaurant. Our bill was over $100.

1  Thank misanthropicdreamer

Reviewed 30 April 2012

Dosa is in a great location to grab a bite to eat either before or after a movie. Between the loud music , the loud chatter and hanging chandeliers I felt as if I was in an Indian dance hall. The tables are very close to each other. We ordered small plates and the mung bean salad was terrific. My grilled octopus was overwhelmed by the green chili sauce. My partners small plates of fried vegetables and a chicken dish were just ordinary. The restaurant was full and the other patrons were clearly enjoying everything. Perhaps not a good fit for us.

1  Thank SFGAL8
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We went with 4 couples. Everyone loved their food. The service was great and the bar tender was super friendly.

Reviewed 8 March 2012

We ordered the small plates of soup or salad and entree. If what we received were the small plates, we couldn't have finished the regular portions. The mint lemonade was refreshing. The fire broth was tasty, but not as spicy as the name would indicate. The mung salad was beautifully arranged and bursting with textures and complementary flavors. I had the caramelized onion uttapam and my sweetie had the masala dosa. Both came with several dipping sauces, which were perfect. A very satisfying meal, for a very reasonable price.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Dosa is a fantastic restaurant. Big (but not too noisy), elegant, modern, with excellent Indian food. What initially brought us here (and continues to bring us back) is a separate Allergen menu. We have a Gluten and Tree Nut allergy, and Dosa's clearly articulated allergen menu helps us understand what is safe to eat. We would go here for mediocre Indian food because of this, the fact that the food is fantastic is a bonus. Location is great too, walk North on Filmore to reach the Filmore shopping district, and East on Post for 1 block to reach Japan town.