“Single guy, ten day stay”

SOMA Park Inn - Civic Center
Ranked #159 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Davenport, Iowa
“Single guy, ten day stay”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for vacation and was very pleasantly surprised. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and protected from bed bugs. You need a key card to get to the rooms- my stuff was safe and sound all week. It was noisy, but not overpowering. I didn't need ear plugs, I just kept the air conditioning on (an amenity you don't get in SF at this price point). The absolute best part though was the location. Get a MUNI pass while you're here. You won't have to walk more than three blocks to get anywhere in the city.
The homeless are an issue in this area. There are several civic outreach programs nearby, so they tend to flock in the area. But really, it's hard to go anywhere in SF without seeing them. Just walk with purpose, and no one will bother you. I was asked for money three times. At no time did I encounter aggressive behavior. I walked the Embarcadero after a Giants night game and felt more spooked than any time I went to or from the hotel. And if you do feel uneasy, take a cab. It cost me $13 from AT&T Park with tip.
This place is great.

2 Thank markwilliam1974
Manager1019, Manager at SOMA Park Inn - Civic Center, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for your input regarding your recent stay at our inn. It is refreshing to hear that you had a positive experience in the heart of a major downtown area. Downtown areas in major cities can be difficult to navigate for tourists not accustomed to the hustle and bustle of a big city. from different parts of the country or the world.
We are happy to hear that your stay with us was a positive experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This place.

First, after staying in the city, this is not an area I would want to stay in. It's centrally located, but surrounded by riffraff.

My first impression after walking in was that it was very loud. The staff had a child in the back who was running around the office. Once I checked in, they ran my credit card number as usual, but then the woman behind the counter handed my card to some other employee who WROTE DOWN MY NAME, CREDIT CARD NUMBER, AND EXPIRATION DATE on a piece of paper. They did not tell me they were doing this, but my boyfriend noticed. When we protested and asked what they were doing they insisted that this was normal. I told them that they had run my card, had the number in the computer, and that writing it down and sticking it in a drawer was not OK. At this point some other man came out of the back office and starts arguing with my boyfriend and I that writing down the number is fine and that "putting it in the drawer is the same as being encrypted."

After that, I had them cancel my reservation, take the charge off my card, and hand me the "encrypted" paper on which they had written all my information, and left. We wound up with a room at the Hilton which was very nice and cheaper than what I would have paid here.

I'd avoid this place completely. The area is bad, the staff was rude, and, oh yea, I'd prefer to not have my credit card information in some drawer where every Tom, Dick, and Harry on staff can have access to it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ARC101
Your comments are very helpful in trying to improve our level of service and delivering a positive experience for our guests. Be assured that we have taken certain steps to make improvements to ensure a level of service that our guests are accustomed to. In addition, guest security (physically and digitally spacing) is of paramount importance to us.
We apologize for the inconvenience during your recent visit

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The room is fine, quite comfortable, and the location is pretty decent. It's only a couple of blocks from BART and Muni, and there's parking too of course. But it's very NOISY. This is an old motel, on the corner of 9th and Mission. There's a building site opposite, but it's the cars, buses, trucks, and everything else that creates noise which then echoes around the central open area of the building.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Manager1019, General Manager at SOMA Park Inn - Civic Center, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for your input regarding your recent stay at our inn. Unfortunately, you are absolutely correct, we are located at busy corner and at times it can be a bit noisy.
We have insulated windows in all of our rooms, but there are times when it is less than ideal to block out the street noise.
Nevertheless, we hope you give us a try again the next time you visit SF.
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We came down to San Francisco to enjoy the 4th of July. I often book with Choice Hotels and figured I would again search for a choice hotel. Well this place is far from the quality that I know Choice Hotel International expects. We almost got killed walking from the Bay Area Rapid Transit Station to the hotel. We get to the hotel and you have to be buzzed in to even get into the office. Once in the office we were greeted by a staff member who was less than thrilled to be working. While checking her the staff members child was in a back room screaming bloody murder. She left the desk to go shut him up and then came back. At this point my wife and I are already ready to get the hell out of here. We finish check in and are directed to use this sketchy service looking elevator. We make it to our room which stunk to high heaven. My wife and I made a quick decision to get our money back and get the heck out of this place. We went back to the front desk and notified the unenthused staff woman that we needed our money back and had an emergency. The emergency was getting out of this hotel and neighborhood as quickly as possible. I requested my money back. She refused. I asked for a choice hotel credit and again she refused. I informed her that I knew she could do something for me. I'm a cop and could read her body language. She just didn't want to help in anyway. I asked to speak to a manager and he said no one was here. I asked her to call the manager and she told me that he was unavailable. I asked when he would be available and she said noon of the next day. Of course right after check out time. I asked for his name and her name. She was reluctant to give me her name but eventually did. I then informed her that I would be contacting my contact at Choice Hotels Corporate Offices. She told me that "this hotel is privately owned" basically hinting that corporate wasn't going to do anything. She I'm afraid is going to be looking for another job once corporate comes in for a random inspection of this dump. I'm sure corporate wouldn't want their brand affiliated with this place. I am calling my contact with corporate on Monday morning unless my card is refunded by local management. DO NOT BOOK AT THIS HOTEL!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Tlang46815
Your comments are very helpful in trying to improve our level of service and delivering a positive experience for our guests. Be assured that we have taken certain steps to make improvements.
We apologize for the inconvenience during your recent visit.
Paris, France
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Flee! This is the worst hotel that exists. The room smells toilets, carpet is disgusting, you can not even walk barefoot. In the neighborhood there are a lot of homeless people and offenders. We do not feel safe.
I urge you not to take this hotel.
I am currently in the hotel and I have not even spent the night, I booked 3 nights and I really regret it.
I immediately booked another hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ines z
So sorry to hear that our Inn did not meet your standards. All of your points were noted and we will address issues to the best of our ability. Our neighborhood is in transition and probably looks worse than it really is, as evidenced by the increasing number of people actually owning or renting in our immediate vicinity.
Nonetheless, we are sorry that you didn't have a positive experience at our inn.
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Very nice staff.
Great daily parking value.
I was in and out.
The rooms come with microwave and refrigerator.
The location is perfect.
Of my visits to San Francisco, the Rodeway Inn is one of my favorite choices.
I highly recommend it because of the cleanliness and location.

• Stayed April 2014
Manager1019, General Manager at SOMA Park Inn - Civic Center, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you very much for your input regarding your stay in May. We pride ourselves in providing clean, comfortable accommodations at a reasonable price.
We hope to see you next time you visit SF.
Sagaponack, New York
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Certainly adequate and my least expensive option. The hotel is definitely in a sketchy couple block area at the corner of Mission and 9th. I felt ok but would not bring my wife and kids. Two female colleagues also stayed at this hotel and were uncomfortable returning after dark. Rooms are adequate: clean towels and sheets and the bathroom area was clean. Carpet was oldish so cleanliness was difficult to discern. Small coffee maker, a microwave and a small refrigerator. Flat screen TV is nice. Design (open courtyard) and location make noise an issue for what I am guessing is every room. My ear plugs provided a satisfactory work-around. Our last evening was even louder with a group of guests drinking and standing in open doorways. An altercation the next morning at 5:30am in the courtyard/parking area was even more unpleasant. My calls to the front desk to alert them were never answered. Nobody at the front desk upon departure at around 8:30am.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
We are sorry for not meeting your expectations. Hotel policy is to have doors open by 7am. On your departure date, more than likely there may have been a few minutes where the front desk personnel may have stepped outside or upstairs for some reason. We appreciate your input so that we can continue to improve the level of service we provide to our customers.