“Wasn't what I expected.” 3 of 5 bubbles

and up
San Francisco Deluxe Half-Day City Tour
Ranked #39 of 528 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Four-acre refuge in Golden Gate Park featuring Japanese architecture and gardens.
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Wasn't what I expected.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

My daughter and I arrived on Friday, June 27, 2014 at 10:15AM via bus #44.

Hours: Open Daily, no holiday closures.
Summer (3/1 through 10/31): 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
Winter (11/1 through 2/28): 9:00 am to 4:45 pm

Admission:
Mon, Wed, Fri: FREE admission if entered by 10:00 am
Adult: $5.00 (Residents), $7.00 (Non-Residents)
Senior (65+) and Youth (12-17):
$3.00 (Residents), $5.00 (Non-Residents)
Child (5-11): $1.50 (Residents), $2.00 (Non-Residents) Child (4 and under): Free

Upon entering you tell the cashier whether you are a resident of San Francisco or not. ID is requested if you say that you are a resident. Also your child will be asked his/her birthday if the cashier is told that the child is 17 or below.
I paid for our entrance fee, as we were 15 minutes late for the free entry. I should have listened when a resident told me that he wasn't gonna pay to get in. We weren't given a map to guide us along the course of the garden, and to be honest I don't feel what I saw was worth my money. The tour only lasted about 15 minutes. My daughter made a comparison of the garden to Fort Lauderdale's Japanese Garden. Her statement was. "Mommy, the Japanese Garden in Florida is much better than this garden."
Once at the end we circled back around to take pictures of what we had seen. I'm not interested in visiting the garden at a later date.
The Tea House was so crowded, we didn't have a chance to enjoy any of the food or tea provided. The little souvenir shop was cute and that is where my daughter and I found the maps to the garden. And because the Garden is in the Golden Gate Park, the souvenir shop sells Golden Gate Bridge souvies. However, I recommend buying all souvies in Chinatown because they are muuuuch cheaper for the same quality.
I'm not suggesting that you all don't go an experience the garden for yourself, I'm just giving my point of view based on what I'm used to.

Visited June 2014

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Relax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Very beautiful and must see in the GG Park. Go on a week day and avoid some of the crowds. SF residents get a discount entrance fee.

Chester, New York
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“San Francisco-Worth the Climb!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

A few years ago my husband Joe and I toured California for 3 weeks driving from Lake Tahoe to San Diego. San Francisco was one of our stops. What can I say about the city of hills? You have to be in good shape to climb Lombard St., the steepest street in the USA. How do they park cars there?
Gazing on the Golden Gate Bridge on the bay while eating out-of-this-world creamy Ghirabelldi chocolate ice cream on Ghirabelldi Square was a treat!
I loved browsing through the shops at Chinatown, the best in the USA. In one shop I took a picture next to a baby-sized elephant made of mahogany. There are many such Asian treasures. Of course, we had a delicious Chinese meal-noodle and vegetable soup for me!
Driving around the city we saw many brownstones, just like in NYC, only more decorative. I would love to live in one of those!
Hilly or not, it's worth the trip!

Visited July 2014
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A Piece of Japan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Nice, tranquill setting. A beautiful spot to wind down and relax. There is a tea shop there where you can order tea and enjoy the serene surroundings. However, with all good things, there's always a line.

Recommended to allocate some time to order tea and enjoy the surroundings.

Visited July 2014
Warrington, United Kingdom
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Tranquillity pure and simple”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

If you have an hour or so take some time for reflection and recuperation from the hustle and bustle, just a perfect end to the day!

Visited June 2014