“Disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Winery Collective

Winery Collective
Ranked #214 of 528 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Taste over 50 wines from more than two dozen boutique wineries across California while visiting Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. Wine tastings daily from 11a-9p. No appointment necessary.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

Pours are way too small for the price, given the price of the bottles. The wine was fine but the number of tasting choices were limited.

2 Thank Jencolenm

Egersund, Norway
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Uncomfortable experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

We thought this place would be a good place to sample local wines not being abel to go to any wineries. My boyfriend and I often enjoy a glass of wine, but are by no means wine snobs. You get the option to choose between 4 tasting menues with 4-5 different wines. I chose "city tour" and my boyfriend a selection of reds. They pour enough for three small mouthfull so be aware that this is a "tasting" ulike I have experienced before. Yes we were dissapointed with the pouring size (especially considering the price), but we thought it was also a pour selection of wines, most being very light with short aftertaste. You didn't feel like you were drinking wine, more like at 2 am when you ran out of wine and drink the aftermath of glasses in the kitchen. But the worst part was not the wine but the bartender on staff. We were the only patrons in there (why you nede a reservation I do not understand), but he kept giving us the wrong wine, mixing tasting menues. Though we tried to engage in conversation to learn about the wine and the wineyard, we were constantly reminded that he lived on tips while we were tasting the wines, and had very little to contribute with except a pre-memoriesed list. He kept asking us how many bottles we wanted to buy before we were even finished tasting. The whole thing was very uncomfortable. He seemed displeased when we left without buying any wines. What has probably once been a very good idea has gode completely rotten!!! Save your money fellow traveller, and go to any restaurant and drink by the glass. You will Get more wine for the same money, and most likely save yourself from being harrassed by a staff member pushing to sell cheap wine. To the spot: change your staff!

Visited May 2013
2 Thank JeannethN
Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013

This is a sorry excuse for a wine tasting experience, don't waste your time or money. We weren't going to be able to make it to napa or sanoma valley so tried here. The rude staff told us nothing about the wine and we got the impression that they would have been happier if we didn't visit.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank jburn79
San Francisco, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Thinking about doing a Winery experience in SF? Winery Collective is not what used to be!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

When I was becoming a food connoisseur, I became big fan of Californian wines and a regular client of the Winery Collective. This place was where I started having samples of Californian wines, which are incredibly complex, and since then I tried to go as much as I could. The staff was always friendly and the owners choose the best selection of wines from the California region. They offered wine samples for a very convenient price (15-30 dollars). The place was full of tourists, but pleasant at the same time. Unfortunately, it has changed in the last few months. Now, the service is not what it used to be. They still have good wines from Napa and SFO surroundings, but they are losing the sprit that characterized them in the past. The last two times I’ve been there, I sadly witnessed what the bad reviews have mentioned. This is such a shame.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank GerardG899
edmonton
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Above and beyond”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

We stopped in here twice on our short trip to San Francisco! My husband and I had been on a wine tour the day before and I was sufficiently impressed with the wine selection. Both on nights the service was excellent, I am so mad that i can't remember his name. The bar was busy but he informed me about the wines and was very good at answering my questions. I had been making my husband taste wine with me all day, so he said to the server " I don't suppose you have a cold beer for me?" The server responded that they didn't serve beer only wine, but that he had a couple of beer left there from a party a couple days before. He gave my husband his last 2 beer and didn't even charge him for them. Made my husbands day! That is good service and because my husband was happy, I was able to sit and enjoy more good wine.

Visited October 2012