“Amazing apartment and great hosts”
other travellers have booked this property
Office Office
Foyer
Office / Kitchenette
Bedroom with hall view
Patio garden
Bath room (shower, toilet not shown)
Shower
Front entry leading to bedroom
Art in foyer
Patio cactus garden
Patio with table view
Bedroom
bathroom
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Vancouver
Reviewed 28 August 2012 for a stay in August 2012

hhp2010
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Decent place to stay; but far away from city center & uncomfortable pull out couch bed.”
Reviewed 12 September 2011 for a stay in July 2011
people found this review helpful

The scoop: You are renting the first floor of a beautiful 3-story house. The floor where you are staying is connected to the rest of the house via "the stairway." The house is far away from downtown. I consider myself to be a brisk walker, but it took over 30 mins of walking despite Gae claiming it's 20-25 mins (per google, it's 2.3 miles, 45 mins walking). The area is not particularly well connected by bus or metro. Nearby, however, there is a whole foods and a nice coffee shop. Overall, decent place to stay, but uncomfortable bed.

Cons: The bed. As pullout beds without extra padding go, it's not bad; but then again, it's a pullout. Place could benefit from a real mattress. The place is also quite far from the downtown area and is not well connected by bus (see above).

Pros: Nice artwork, eccentric, but wonderful if you like modern, avant-garde art. Gae was nice for the little time we got to interact. Parking on the streets is free but with restrictions (you may have to move you car for street cleaning).

Bedding & mattresses Bathroom cleanliness
Liked best: Non-hotel feel.
Liked least: The bed & the location (far away from center).
Travelling group: With Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
12 Sep 2011
I am sorry this guest felt his expectations were not fully met, however our other reviews are excellent. This guest had only stayed in hotels prior to this and it may be for some young couples on their first visit to San Francisco that our location is not ideal. On the other hand, the ability to experience a neighborhood, especially one near to the Mission coupled with free, safe parking and excellent access highways leading to anywhere in the Bay Area (i.e. Napa, Stanford, Berkeley) are definite pluses for anyone visiting SF.

Our space is also listed on other websites and we would be glad to find additional reviews. We look forward to welcoming you.

Gae and Mel Shulman
kengavin
Dublin, Ireland
“Will stay again and next visit take time out in the garden”
Reviewed 10 August 2011 for a stay in July 2011
people found this review helpful

I enjoyed my 3 day stay in this very nice apartment , my only gripe was that I was too busy elsewhere to sit and relax in the garden and did not get enough time to actually relax there and enjoy the atmosphere. The art might not be to everyone's taste but it is certainly eclectic. The owners actually picked me up at my downtown location and ferried me to the apartment on he first day which was very nice of her. Clean comfortable and a nice neighborhood within a $10 taxi ride to the Moscone downtown area or a 25 minute stroll

Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Young singles Friends getaway
Older travelers Tourists
celinecmo...
Grenoble, France
“Great place in SF!”
Reviewed 28 March 2011 for a stay in March 2011
person found this review helpful

We spent two excellent weeks at Gae and Mel's in March and found it hard to leave!

A brainstorming of what we enjoyed: the gorgeous house, the quiet and safe neighbourhood, the spacious and cosy bedroom, the view from the house, the morrocan style shower, the garden which is as tastefully decorated as the whole place, their lovely dog, the nice conversations we had...

But more than that Gae and Mel are the kindest hosts we've ever met :)
Attentive yet not intrusive.
They provided us with valuable information about SF & its surroundings and advised us on restaurants, museums and outings.

Again we want to thank them for the wonderful weekend they offered us in Sonoma.
We enjoyed visiting the wineries and tasting some great wines with them.
Plus, Gae cooked us a delicious typical American meal as well as an excellent brunch in the morning.
Lucky us!

We would definitely stay again at the Shulmans.

Travelling group: With Spouse/Partner
Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
NYC
Reviewed 19 December 2010 for a stay in December 2010

Travelling group: Spouse / significant other
Your age range 25-34
Management Response
19 Dec 2010
This is the only review that mentions an uncomfortable bed, and it was never mentioned by the guest.We have had people stay for over three months and they have been able to use the kitchen facilities and eat quite well
We also extend our larger kitchen and laundry facilities to guests.

Please read the other comments for a truer picture of what you can expect. We can also put you in touch with guests if any questions exist.
Gae and Mel Shulman.

This is the comment sent to us directly in an email by this guest, which includes a request to stay in our Sonoma home which maybe of interest to potential guests.

." Sean slept alright, but I am more sensitive (hence my question: is it comfortable?) and I had trouble. We loved the place in every respect otherwise. Sean & I would be delighted to visit Sonoma and stay at another Shulman home. "
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
from
US$140
/ Night
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing