“This is OK - but could improve”
Review of City Sightseeing

US$84.99*
Half-Day Sonoma Wine Tour
Ranked #94 of 298 Tours in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Offering Hop On Hop Off Double-Decker Bus tours of San Francisco, Alcatraz Tickets, Sausalito, Wine Country, Yosemite National Park, Monterey and more. We also offer discounts on many other San Francisco Attractions.
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I had the 48 hour ticket and value wise it was good. However - they need to run more buses especially on the Golden Gate Park route, these ran every 2 hours.

The trip to Sausalito was excellent with a stop at the Golden Gate Bridge for photos. I only went one way to Sausalito as I discovered I could buy for $5 a ferry ticket back to the city cruising via Alcatraz - a much cheaper option.

I agree with others that the downtown option is only OK and could improve a lot. I also did the evening tour, while you repeat some of the route there were some new sights.
The tour guides were OK and knowledgeable - however I did wonder if they were hoping to get a stand-up-comedian act? They seemed to want to outdo each other with jokes!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,351)

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Prior to our arrrival in San Francsico we intended to actually use the big bus company. But ny complete chance we ended up going with city sightseening tours(CST) which ended up being the best descion of the holiday.

We go our early to walk to union square to buy tickets for the big bus tour company however bumped into somone from CST and I explained what we were looking for and she explained the different packages. She was truthfull and noted that we didn't get into some attractions for free but they offered muir woods and sepreate trous not just one big route. She managed to gives us a very good compeative price for 2 x 72 hour tickets so we thought why not.

We then hoped on the shuttle to catch the fist tour to Muir woods, which was one of the best exeperiences ever !!! such a beautufull place and only cost an extra $7 each entry. We ended up spending neary 3 hours there and loved every moment and it was nice to get out of the busy city and experence the country side. I recommend this tour strongly.

Each bus offered live commentry which I personally prefer instead of headsets. The only reason this review didn't get excellent was the fact that no one explained that there was no 19:00 night tour so me and my partner looked like a couple of burkes waiting for that.

Apart from the enjoyed the tour loads and would defiantly use it again if I go back to San fran :)

1  Thank mitchellh865
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We bought the 48 hour pass from the San Francisco Tourist Information Centre,bad move....

We got down to Union Square to find another 4 companies offering the same type of tour and "touts" bartering the prices!!! My advice go directly to Union Square and decide which is the best tour and price for you!!

Saying that we used the bus to go all around and had various guides throughout our 48 hours,all well informative,some overly irritating but one was outstanding!! That honor goes to "Soda Pop"

Agree with some of the previous comments,buses not connecting etc,we arrived at fishermans from Golden Gate and the bus for Union Sq pulled out right in front of us??? Other minus is the "green route" once every 2 hours is insufficient.

You need a bit of coordination guys, get that and you will compete,after all you have the best guide in Soda Pop!!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Hi,
We booked the two day pass on April 12-13. The first tour we took was the Sausalito Tour, the tour guide was phenomenal and very entertaining. He operates a "rebel" bus and that is all I am allowed to say, because what happens on the rebel bus stays on the rebel bus.

With that being said we hopped off in Sausalito and were told that the Bus would only come back once an hour. When the bus came back we were lucky enough to get on, however there were at least 15 people who could not get on the bus because it was full. The driver initially told everyone they would have to wait another hour but then said he would try to get another bus to come. I'm not sure how long they had to wait.

The next day we took the Golden Gate Park tour and they only had stops once every two hours. We hopped off at Haight/Ashbury and walked to the Painted Ladies (which the bus will not go by) and walked back to Haight/Ashbury. The bus eventually picked us up about 2 1/2 hour after we were dropped off.

It seems the main problem with this company was they did not have enough buses. Hop and Hop off and only having pickups every hour or 2 hours is not good service, plus you are always worried the bus will be full. With this company I would not recommended to "hop off" as you may never get another bus to "hop on" to.

There are several other hop and hop off buses in San Francisco, I can't speak to their quality but I assume they are better then this company. This company even asked for a Trip Advisor review; well you asked for one and you got a bad one.

3  Thank peterharriman5
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Bought the 48 hour pass which gave access to most of the routes. On the day you buy the ticket, you get 2 full days after this so you get 2 and a half days.
The tour routes are comprehensive and cover off on all the main areas.
There are lots of guides on each bus, we had 2 excellent guides, 1 average and 1 poor. So it's a bit of a mixed bag.
Overall a worthwhile experience and a good way to get around town

1  Thank tbloom5