“Pretty poor”

and up
City Sightseeing San Francisco Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #93 of 299 Tours in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Offering Hop On Hop Off Double-Decker Bus tours of San Francisco, Alcatraz Tickets, Sausalito, Wine Country, Yosemite National Park, Monterey and more. We also offer discounts on many other San Francisco Attractions.
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Bus tours are such a good idea to get your bearings in a place you don't know. We've been on several in many different cities around the world. This one was the worst. I agree with people who say don't get off the bus. Once you're on stay on!!! However if you want to walk over the Golden Gate Bridge or visit Muir Woods you have to so prepare for a wait to get back on.
I'm not sure why all the drivers think they have to be funny. I just wanted information about the area I was visiting. Some were really terrible. There was only one exception, Spencer was brilliant. He was full of information and made us laugh out loud.
Over 3 days we did get to see all we wanted and visited Alcatraz. They cover all the sights but we could have done it a day if they had more buses and less jokes that just aren't funny.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,366)
All reviews
in 90 reviews
"alcatraz"
in 198 reviews

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Totally great. I got the 48 Hour pass that allows you to go on four tours- Golden Gate Bridge, Night Tour, Golden Gate Park Tour, and Downtown Tour. My ticket was around $45 and it was worth it.

The setup was very well thought out. I found it was easiest to just go to their main office at 2800 Leavenworth in Fisherman's Wharf. All the tours start and end there except for the Golden Gate Park Tour which starts in Union Square. BUT if you get on the Downtown tour they make a stop at Union Square. The last Golden Gate Bridge Tour of the day can also bring you back to 2800 Leavenworth. The main office is near a bunch of shops and food options so you have something to do between tours. But you don't have to know SF to get to these tours.

The tours themselves were great. The upper deck was the best and most popular seats because the tour guides will point out buildings and statues that are hard to see in the lower deck. Lots of information. The tour guides were really informative and engaging. They told the history of SF but also added their personal stories which I liked. The best were Zelda, Spencer, and Keith. Keith was amazing. He was really comfortable with all the guests of all ages. And playfully teased people on the tour but knew when to stop. Zelda had a great attitude and little jokes. There was another tour guide who was a young female with long hair and several tattoos on her arms who was really good too. And another older black man who was really funny. All tours start with the main rule which is don't stand up while the bus is moving. They will call you out if you do. Spencer called one guy out who must have been older then him and they had a short "chat". I thought it was great because if people stand on the bus the tour guides can get a ticket or lose their jobs plus its dangerous.

All the employees were great. I went when there was some huge rock concert going on in Golden Gate Park so the tour could go to the beach but they said you could come back tomorrow and your tickets will still be good. They supplemented the missed beach tour for a drive down Ashbury Haight . I was going to go on the 6:30pm night tour but it was cancelled for some reason. I had to get home by 8pm so one of the guys at the front desk renewed my ticket so I could get on the night tour. In all, every employee is friendly and knows their stuff.

Wear sunscreen! The sun will come out even if its cloudy in the morning!

1  Thank 121EmilyP
Reviewed 11 August 2014

These tours were excellent. We bought the 48 hour ticket, and had no trouble. The buses were very regular (even on a sunday), and the tour guides were all excellent. Very informative, very friendly and made the tours very enjoyable.
We got the downtown loop, then changed to the golden gate loop, then went onto the redwood tour (the traffic was a little bad on the golden gate loop, but the driver called ahead and got them to hold the redwood bus until our arrival - which was excellent).
Would definitely recommend for a good, fun way to see the city.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We have just moved on from a city break in San Francisco. We booked City Sightseeing through our travel agents and were very pleased. Yes, it's busy but it is high season. Yes, the guides repeat facts but each guide has his/her own spin on a story. And yes, some of the jokes are corny. But it was good fun! We saw lots of the city, got to sit down between huge amounts of walking and were well entertained. And yes, they remind passengers about tips but this is America. I'm sure other tours are similar but we really enjoyed this one!

See more reviews
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Took the Sausalito loop tour with Tara and she was awesome! Funny and engaging throughout the whole ride. Didn't have any of the issues others wrote about with long waits or full buses- but maybe because we went on Sunday.
The night tour was okay. It wasn't dark so we didn't get the lit up sights we were hoping for but it was still pleasant. Our guide was pretty good too.
Guessing that the less talented guides get put on the hop on hop off tours around the city because that's the only time we had a so-so guide who was hard to hear. Overall a positive experience and looking forward to doing more exploring tomorrow!