“Interesting peak inside the lives of the Disney family”

Walt Disney Family Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
US$25.00*
and up
The Walt Disney Family Museum Admission in San Francisco
Ranked #16 of 572 things to do in San Francisco
Reviewed 29 March 2012

My teenage daughter and I visited this museum. I should have known that it would have been done in the grand Disney fashion. It is clean and well-maintained, everyone is friendly and it was laid out well. Hard to believe Disney accomplished so much in his relatively short life. I had not been to the Presidio in many years and it has improved from run-down shacks to restored buildings. I would like to have had time to explore the Presidio area.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,381)
All reviews
"huge disney"
in 41 reviews
"mary blair"
in 29 reviews
"snow white and the seven dwarfs"
in 27 reviews
in 56 reviews
"three hours"
in 45 reviews

Reviewed 27 March 2012

Our family attended the Walt Disney Family Museum last week. Walt's daughter made this exhibit happen in tribute to her Dad. Entry into the museum is $20, $15 for students. Worth every penny. The first room shows all of the awards and tributes awarded to Walt throughout his career. I believe he was awarded some 20 Oscars, all on display.

All displays are encased in glass. Each display in this entry room is fabulous. We spent a good deal of time here before entering the main galleries. And this museum is huge! It starts out with the very beginnings of Walt's career. The galleries are filled with videos, interactive displays as well as headphones for listening to Walt himself as well as everyone associated with him through his lengthy career.

It's all here. His early silent movies, much about his family, beginning with his parents, throughout his own daughter's upbringing. The very beginnings of Disneyland, the Mickey Mouse Club, Davey Crockett, Mickey memorabilia, Donald Duck, Goofy, Pluto.

This is an amazing experience. We spent about 4 hours here but it would be easy to spend the entire day here. There is so much to see. As we were on a timeline, we couldn't spend more time so as we went through, we felt a little bit overwhelmed at the sheer size of the exhibits.

There is a theater downstairs where they show a given film for the month. Pollyanna was playing when we went but didn't have time to see the movie. The weekends usually have special events.

You can view more about this fabulous experience at http://disney.go.com/disneyatoz/familymuseum/

There are no pictures allowed inside the galleries but you can take non-flash photos in the large entry room.

I highly recommend this museum for families, old and young alike.

2  Thank memorysgone
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The Disney Family Museum is located in the Presidio in San Francisco. Once into the gates of the Presidio off of Lombard - find Lincoln St and follow it- signs will guide you to the museum. They have detour signs stating that Lincoln at Montgomery is closed- but continue on- the closure is at the other end and does not affect you. You can park on the street or the lot but be sure to pay the meter and put that receipt in your window. I suggest to go during the week day if possible. We spent 3 hrs at the museum and could have spent much more time there. There is quite a bit of reading to do if you want all the info on the Disney Family. Smaller children will get a kick out of the hands on stuff and the "movies & skits" playing but be prepared to make a return trip without them so you can enjoy the entire museum. there is also a coffee shop & small gift shop on grounds. A wonderful tribute to Walt & Roy, their dreams and their families.

1  Thank specialangel62
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I loved this museum. It was so interesting. I did not know how much struggles that Walt Disney had to go through in order to get started. It goes from his childhood all the way to his passing away. The end tears you up. Not only do you see the history behind Walt Disney but some of the history of Disneyland, his movies and television shows. I would say it is not for small kids because of the fact that there is a lot of reading involved. I would say at least 12 and up. Although there is a small theater you can pay for separately I think that shows classic Disney movies that you do have to pay for. It took me and my friend 4 hours to go though. That is why small kids would not last if you care to really take the time to read all there is to offer.

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 March 2012

As a 28 year old fervent Disney fan I LOVED this museum. It is dedicated mostly to Walt's personal story over the history of Disney the company, but they are so closely related. I cherished everything I learned and all of the artifacts I was able to see.

I was also incredibly impressed at how the museum was able to utilize every ounce of available technology today to vary the presentation of a lot of dense material and historical information. The interactive exhibits are extremely well done and the museum took advantage of every last available video or audio source.

Give yourself some time for this museum as there is a lot to cover. I am not sure younger children would appreciate much as it is not hands on, but if you have a mature child who is interested there is plenty to look at. I believe they show older Disney movies here as well.

Take a taxi as it is slightly out of the way from the heart of San Fran.

1  Thank melcort10