“Tourist stop to try the famous Sourdough”

Boudin at the Wharf
Book In Advance
More Info
US$192.50*
and up
Viator VIP: Early Access to Alcatraz and...
Ranked #5 of 319 Shopping in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: This bakery produces traditional San Francisco sourdough and French breads that can be shipped or mail-ordered.
Reviewed 26 July 2018

Very touristy setting but worth a stop to find out what the famous sourdough is about. The large building houses cafes and the bakery which you can watch the sourdough products being made by the in house bakers and buy to take away along with various souvenirs including the chowder in cans. I used the 'quick cafe bar' (opposite the main cafe counter) and service was very quick - you pay and order at one end and collect your order at the other end. I tried the vegetarian soup (rustic tomato) in a sourdough breadbowl. Service was very quick and I ate outside as it was very busy inside but was a nice day to sit out and the tables were clean. The sourdough verdict - the bread was a bit too tangy for me with its sharp vinegary taste but I guess its an acquired taste although butter would have been a good additon for the bread but none was available which seems odd, but the rustic tomato soup was lovely.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"sf"
in 37 reviews

Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

Their sourdough doesn’t disappoint. In fact i actually inquired if they ship internationally (they don’t, shipping takes too long). The chowder was good, but i feel it’s overrated. I enjoyed the chili in the sourdough bowl more. And the grilled cheese was a bit lackluster.

Great shopping—canned clam chowder, sourdough crisps.

Reviewed 16 July 2018

We ordered late lunch from the counter, and ate on the outside patio area. Other than coping with light weight paper products in a strong breeze, the lunch was enjoyed by everyone. I had a sourdough bowl of clam chowder that was filling and delicious. I also liked that the trash bins were emptied frequently and the tables were clean.

Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

We had lunch before our Alcatraz tour. It was crowded but the line moved fast. They give you a menu to look at while in line, which helps the process. My daughter and I shared a pizza. My son had a Caesar salad. My wife and mother in law shared a grilled cheese sandwich and broccoli cheese soup bread bowl. Everyone enjoyed their meal.