“Anti-utero”

Specs' 12 Adler Museum Cafe
Ranked #43 of 318 Nightlife in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Small and out of the way, this popular bar attracts an eclectic clientele.
Chicago, Illinois
“Anti-utero”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

In utero my beating heart was so so driving, urging, really. That maddening creciendo has always pounded on, even after the birth cavity; through bicycle-skinned knees, first kisses and last hugs; through, I think, a confused and utterly mesmerizing emotional trip. Clud ump clud ump clud urumpm, with slight irregularity as if to suggest something more is coming. Yes, I know, as we all do, that coming and coming is inevitably death. But, there are moments in life when the beckoning hushes and we truly rest. Mine, it just so happens, has seemed dullest while drinking whiskey, eating cheese, and reading random postcards in the hull of the mighty ship, Specs. The anti-utero, and plain-ol good joint.

I haven't been back in 6 years, but I have written postcards to myself, sitting there six years ago. And to others, sitting there now. No stamps or pen to paper, but long mental reaches through time and space to peaceful sippers, sipping silently, quipping over the hugeness of it all. Or just getting sh$-faced on toddies.

San Francisco, California
“Quirky and Fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

This is such a quirky and fun bar. Its a great place to grab a beer, hangout, and laugh with friends. The decor is fun! One of my favorite bars in san fran!

Visited June 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Quintessential Beat San Francisco!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

I love this bar! Get the cheese and crackers, sit there for hours and enjoy! the decor is pure beat generation, like a collection of a crazy world travelling merchant marine...it's the best.

Visited April 2013
Midland, Michigan
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Great old bar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

I stumbled into this place by accident. It is kind of out of the way but I am sure glad that I found it. Kind of dark, lots of locals but very unique. I really enjoyed it.

Visited December 2012
Toronto, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Great divey/character bar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012 via mobile

Great mix of hipsters and alcoholics, lots to look at and the perfect amount of terrible service that I love in a good neighbourhood bar. Don't change a thing.

1 Thank eric_yld