“One of the world's great opera houses”

War Memorial Opera House
Book In Advance
More Info
US$39.00*
and up
San Francisco Parks and Coast – Summer of Love Edition
Ranked #133 of 535 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: This beautiful beaux arts structure is home to the San Francisco Opera.
San Francisco, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“One of the world's great opera houses”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I have just read reviews from people who complain about the SF Opera House having tiny seats. This is true -- but I have to assume that they have never been to opera, or at least that they have never been to any of the major European opera houses? I have attended the San Francisco Opera many times before and after its renovation. It is one of the most beautiful opera houses in the world. Right after it's renovation, I took a friend of mine who I met when I was studying at Trinity College Dublin. He was teaching composition there and is now a major composer whose works have been performed by the BBC Symphony, etc. After the performance (of "Peter Grimes") I asked him his opinion of the performance and the venue. He said "have you ever been to La Scala in Milan? Have you ever been to Covent Garden? They are TINY and DARK -- your opera house is so large and beautiful, light and sparkling..." He was utterly enchanted. Just saying...

Visited November 2013
1 Thank SFintheFogBelt

Fremont, California
126 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 285 helpful votes
“Elegant historic building”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My wife & I went here for Shen Yun 2014. It is a very historic & elegant facility. You can spend at least 30 minutes just looking at its art & architecture. Parking is plentiful in lots nearby. As with most such venues, food & drink is expensive & limited. Bathrooms are a short walk down the stairs.

Visited January 2014
Walnut Creek, California
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“UNCOMFORTABLY TINY SEATS AND BAD ACOUSTICS”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

The theatre is beautiful, but the seats killed my back and knees. I'm 5'3, 125 lbs, so I'm not a very big person. We got the more costly seats in the dress circle area, hoping it would provide more room. alas, this was not the case. to top it off, a tall person sat in front of me, so I had to keep leaning to the left or right to see the stage. I don't think I'll be seeing any more performances here. It just isn't worth the money and the pain.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank dabugs
San Francisco, California
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Nutcracker”
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Went to see the Nutcracker here for the first time. The building is stunning...However we opted to spend less on seats and sit up in the balcony. Wow, this was a mistake. The seats are absolutely tiny...worse than airline seats. Ridiculously uncomfortable. I wish we would have spent more money and gotten better seats. It was really hot, noisy, and like I said uncomfortable. The show was great, however. If you are in the city and are looking for something to do, you have to pay this place a visit.

Visited December 2013
3 Thank TravelGoddess86
San Francisco
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Wonderful old opera house”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

This is a lovely old (1920s) opera house. The SF Opera is world-class, with not only good singers, but a wonderful orchestra. All sorts of opera is presented, including Mozart's masterpiece Cose fan Tutte which has a brilliant score. The Green Room in the adjacent Veteran's Memorial indeed would have terrible acoustics if music were performed there, but fortunately it's used only for receptions.

Visited October 2013