“Fabulous Stay”

Casa Loma Hotel
Toronto, Canada
“Fabulous Stay”
Reviewed 28 March 2011

I have stayed in various places around San Francisco over the last 10 years and I must stay this is one of the best ones. An amazing bargain with wonderful staff. The rooms are basic but very nice. I had an inside room so no problem with noise a nice TV set and fridge. The location is great on both the 22 and 21 bus Routes. Both are very frequent during the day the 21 less so at night but you also have the option of taking the Market car over and the the 22 bus north which I found more frequent. The Haight bus also runs a couple of blocks south of the hotel. As a single women I never felt unsafe in the neighborhood including during the evening.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank MargaretJC59

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed 17 February 2011

What a surprise.. A great location close to several MUNI lines. Great restaurants two blocks away on Lower Haight Street. At the hotel, I opted for the room with the mini fridge but shared bath. A sink was in the room so it wasn't that bad. My only issue was the noise from the street. I still recommend this place and definitely will stay here again. Internet is extra....

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank ericke w
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 17 February 2011

I just spent 7 nights at Casa Loma San Francisco. My son was expecting his second son and only lives two blocks from the hotel....t was so convenient to be able to walk to their home, I will stay there many times during the next year not because it is close to my sons house but because the experience was really great. The entire building is so fresh and clean from paint to furnishings. I stayed in a room with a full bathroom which was ideal, and the view fom the windows was great to wake up to. I cannot say enough about the staff, the manager Michael is top notch and really cares about his guests and staff. I recommend this to any traveler, you dont have to pay a fortune or a nice room and a good experience....Casa Loma proves that.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Broken Hill
Reviewed 20 November 2010

great place to stay when traveling on a budget... the place was clean and service was excellent. Very handy to have a washing machine available and rooms came also with a TV..

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Amherst, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 November 2010

We stayed for 3 nights while visiting our daughter who lives in a postage-stamped size apartment in the Alamo Square neighborhood. The hotel is clean and comfortable; a little nicer than a youth hostel, but certainly not luxury. It was just perfect for a brief stay. The very clean bathrooms/showers were down the hall, but there is a sink in the room. The staff was pleasant and professional. The walls were a little thin, so that I woke up when people were talking loudly in the room next door. Overall, the place can't be beat: 3 nights for $190 including tax!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed 12 November 2010

This was one of the best hotel experiences I've ever had. I am 50 year old adult women and usually stay in 31/2 to 4 star hotels. I wanted something different...so sick of places with windows that don't open or where you are gouged for every trifle. Casa Loma received such good reviews I had to check it out for myself. From the minute I walked in the door, I fell in love with the place.
Michael, the hotel manager got me to my room in under 5 minutes...no fussing, no endless minutia. He was charming and helpful throughout the entire visit.
I was prepared for tiny rooms, but for 5 dollars more I went with the mid-size room. I had a small fridge and a sink. The room was wonderfully stylish with a large bed and dresser. A clothes rack to hang your nicer clothes and coats. The bathroom was just a few doors down and was never occupied.
I was worried about the noise level (as so many reviewers here mentioned it) but I came prepared with my Brookstone sound machine and earplugs and slept like a baby. I liked that the windows opened and there was a lot of light, and light blocking shades at night.
The neighborhood was more vibrant than "noisy." Very diverse with lots of Eastern Europeans, Middle Easterners, Black, and Hispanic; very eclectic and artistic.

There are two bus lines that are right out front that take you everywhere you could possibly want to go in the city. (Fillmore 22 and Hayse 21) The uber-trendy Hayse Valley with dozens of trendy restaurants and cafes is walking distance (less than a mile). If you have a weakness for shoes, don't go there : )

The Alamo Square Cafe is diagonally across the street and has free internet, fresh pastries and a friendly staff.

The hotel itself has internet for $5.00/day or $20.00/week with 24hour support. Forgot to mention there is state of the art washer and dryer in the area behind the office which also has a microwave. There are two delightful corner stores where you can get just about everything from wine to Amy's organic frozen dinners, which I popped into the microwave a couple of times because I was on a budget.

Okay, so you are wondering, come on, there must have been some down side...Yes, a couple of things...I didn't especially like the lightening in the rooms. It was a bit too dim. But I think they are just energy conscious and use the eco-friendly florescent bulbs...I've just never liked florescent lighting even if they are good for the environment. (So that may just be a personal preference.) There is a very nice flatscreen tv, but not many channels...There was local news and CNN I think, ION TV (which has all the law&order type shows.) I wasn't crazy about the carpet (although the room was exceptionally clean); I just don't like carpets in hotels in general. Next time I come I may actually bring my own little throw carpet to put in front of the sink.
Other than that I cannot find a negative thing to say about this place. It was more like living in the city for a week rather than being a tourist.
Michael mentioned that they are opening a Mexican restaurant next door (attached to the hotel) which should be another great addition to the neighborhood.

I almost regret writing this review because I think it is one of the best kept secrets in San Francisco. Hotel has only been open a year I am told. I hope when I return I won't have a hard time getting a room.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank maria617
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 November 2010

i arrived to the hotel at night, had to ring the bell cos for the staff to come out because there's no 24 hours front desk. our floor was on the 3rd or 4th (can't remb), had a lot of difficulty dragging my humongous luggage up, so do take note of that !

our room was situated right at end, it was small but comfy and lovely! ok even though it was a bit (a wee bit) scary at night because it was pretty quiet in the hotel and due to that painting of the scream (?) by van gogh on the wall, i still really enjoyed my stay there!

our room was facing the road, so it might be a bit noisy for light sleepers, but like i said, dont be too fussy, you'll get used to it. after a long day of sight seeing, you will fall aslp really fast believe me! the bed and the comforter are RLY comfy ! (:

the shared bathrooms were always available and clean! no problems with that.

oh, the area which this is in is near the famous painted ladies row of houses. I loved the area in the day because all the buildings were victorian and gorgeous and felt artistic. but it might not b very safe at night though.

it was clean, there was a sink in the room!, and the internet's pretty cheap and fast if u get the package for the week. another thing to note is that there seems to be no housecleaning during my stay though. we stayed 5 days, and the sheets were never changed or cleaned. but that's fine, jst treat it like an apartment and do stuff yourself. it's already so cheap, don't expect daily housecleaning!!

we kinda made the mistake of driving there, san fran has the worst parking situation ever. we made rounds arnd the hotel trying to find a spot to park at night, that was very vexing. i do believe the bus would be much more convenient as they have a pretty good public transport system!

all in all, i highly recommend this place, it's a no frills boutique hotel that is good value for money!

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple