“Perfect place for two...”
Review of Casa Loma Hotel

Casa Loma Hotel
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for five nights for the San Francisco Marathon in July 2014. It was perfect for us. We were a little nervous about the location (don't be). It is in the perfect location, and fit our needs. We stayed on the second floor facing Fell Street. Yes, it is noisy with the cars - but we fell asleep from all our activities. The shower/toilet situation was perfect. We were busy during the day, and it was a great place to come rest and take a shower. If you are on a budget - this place is for you. The front desk were helpful, and were always willing to help with stamps, maps, change, directions, etc. Continental breakfast in the morning, and the best beverage machine. I would not recommend this place for kids, or the rooms in the center with the courtyard not facing the street. We had to move the last night, the room was smaller and it was hot and more noise came from other rooms rather than outside. Good thing was our last night we were there for a couple of hours to sleep. We will stay here again,you can not beat the price - especially in San Francisco!

1  Thank Simplymarichu

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is my first 1 star review for an hotel.
The bad part about this hotel resume itself with one word: Noise
We got a room on the street side (Fell St).
It was litterally impossible to sleep because of the noise coming from the trucks and motocycles climbing up the steep hill just beside the hotel.
We had to use ear plugs for the whole 3 days and even then...

Also, we were on the top floor. Dont expect water in the morning, it gets all sucked up by the lower floors.
The carpets were pretty stained.

Maybe it wouldnt be that bad if we had a room not on Fell St, but be warned.

All in all, you are better off paying 30$ more to get something way more decent, and most of all, get some sleep.
Or check out other alternatives like airbnb or whatever.

Room Tip: Dont get a room on Fell St side.
1  Thank JS_Side
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Finding a cheap place to stay for four days in San Francisco isn't easy, which is why I was excited to find this hostel/hotel hybrid for a great price right in the city.

Pros:
1. Like mentioned before, it's cheap. If you're not looking for something extravagant and not planning on staying inside a hotel for most of your stay, this is a good choice.
2. Rooms on our stay were clean and as long as you didn't have the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door, were made up each day by housecleaning. Some days we received clean towels, other days we did not.
3. Staff is friendly and willing to help. On our checkout day, our flight did not leave until 8:00 p.m. that night, so we asked if they could hold our bags for the day. They did, and also set up a shuttle for us to take us to the airport that evening.
4. Showers are clean
5. There is a sink in each room. If you're staying in a hostel with communal bathrooms, this is a big perk. I liked being able to just get some water, brush my teeth, or wash my face without leaving the room.
6. Located near

Now, the cons. And they were big:
1. This place is noisy. I swear the walls are as thin as paper. Our room faced toward the inside of the building and we could hear everything.
2. Our room was extremely warm. A simple fan would have made it a huge upgrade. Opening up the window made no relief, as there is no airflow (rooms with windows facing the inside of the hotel open up into a closed "courtyard" of sorts). This doesn't help the noise level either. Not sure if their A/C is just not very good or they don't turn it on, but our room was stuffy and made it hard to sleep.
3. WiFi is ridiculous in this place. Yes, it's free, but it's nonexistent. They have about 10 different WiFi connections, but none of them work or they are so slow that it's useless.
4. Don't accidentally leave your items in the showers for more than a minute or they'll be thrown out. Twice I brought my stuff to the showers, forgot something, ran back to my room just down the hall, came back, and it was all in the bathroom trash. I appreciate their willingness to keep things clean, but wait more than two minutes to throw my stuff out!

I'm not really sure if I'd stay here again. Maybe if they put in some fans and were somehow able to reduce the noise level I would consider it.

Room Tip: Don't get a room with windows facing the inside of the building. Ask for one with windows facin...
1  Thank TheJimmyLegs
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and I spent a week in San Francisco in April and did NOT want to blow our budget on a hotel. This place is a step above a hostel and is reasonably priced at around $100/night- cheaper if you don't mind sharing a bathroom. The people at the front desk were always super helpful and so nice, rooms were clean. My only complaint is that the windows didn't have screens but that might be because the hotel is part of an older building. It's definitely not for the feint of heart- no elevators so pack light! The coffee machine in the lobby is the perfect wake-me-up for the short (1-2 block) walk to the bus stop. It's also in the perfect spot to explore all of San Fran and never have to cross the entire town to get back to base- right in up-and-coming Hayes Valley!

Room Tip: If you're not one for stairs- ask for a room on the first floor. If you're afraid pigeons m...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Don't stay here if you have a car that needs a parking space. Arrived at 11PM and road around for a half hour looking for parking. Was told by the hotel that there was a garage 6 blocks away where I could park. Didn't feel comfortable walking six blocks at midnight. Cancelled my reservation and went to a hotel that had parking. If you are lucky enough to get a parking spot don't move your car.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank jstarr2014
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Booked hotel via Expedia. I doubt i will take their recommendations again.
Floors dirty and the walls are so thin you can hear the idiots stomping around next door and up above. You can also feel them stoping around as the floors and walls vibrate.
Windows open to let air in and passersby can see you in room.
Free WiFi was a joke.
Though the staff were friendly.

This place is awful.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Overall if you're young, low-maintenance and not squeamish about sharing washrooms and showers you'll be alright.

Definitely ask for a room with a window facing the street if you plan on being comfortable - there's a few rooms which have windows open into a courtyard which is closed off (no breeze, VERY hot)

The staff is very nice, although a few of the receptionists who rotate on a shift basis aren't very helpful.

The housekeepers also cleaned the rooms weakly and very late in the day but they were very friendly.

No hair dryers, no computer access, the wifi is HORRIBLE.

Free breakfast, free coffee and espresso based drinks all day.

Great location near ALL necessary bus stops.

Overall, id recommend it to most friends.

• Stayed: July 2014