“Man this is a really bad hotel”
Review of Europa Hotel

Europa Hotel
Ranked #48 of 71 San Francisco B&B and Inns
“Man this is a really bad hotel”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

A few things we noticed, but certainly not all:

Graffiti in the closet denounces love
Dried urine in the drawer
Pubic hair on the pillow
Holes all over the walls
Very uneven floor
Open wiring presumably for a lamp or smoke alarm
Deep burn marks all over the top of the broken tv
Drug baggie (mostly empty) in the sink drawer

We hope we don't get any skin diseases from this place, and hope you take heed our words: spend more on a better hotel, for your own health is worth it. Don't make the mistake that we did!

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank hydrogen_hypothesis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Hotel is close to the centre and within walking distance to Fishermans Wharf. However, the hotel is dirty and smelly, I have been travelling for 6 months and I have stayed in some pretty dirty places but this is by far the worst. The sheets are dirty and covered in stains, the floor is filthy and the room smells of stale smoke. There are some odd people hanging around the place and at times I did not feel safe. I would not stay here again and would never recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Amysarah8183

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Do not stay here!! I wanted somewhere cheap- online it didn't look too bad however I felt unsafe the minute I checked in-its a horrific, terrible and disgusting place. My room smelt like faeces and urine, there were cigarette buts everywhere, stains on the sheets, it was filthy. I could hear men coughing, snorting and other horrible noises through the walls. I was so scared to leave my room with the men that were hanging around. I didnt sleep at all and booked another hotel at 3 in the morning and left after having my door knocked on by men during the night-I would not want my worst enemy to stay here. I can't remember the last time I felt so scared and unsafe.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank AlwaystiredEmma
Mulhouse
Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

Because we are travelling on budget we already stayed in many many cheap and dirty places. But this is one of the most awful places we ever stayed.
We booked Europa for 3 nights because it was the cheapest place we could find for 60$ per night, thought SF is a nice but VERY expensive place.
We were luky and had a room on 2nd floor. We didnt see any bed bugs, mices, roaches etc. And the shared bathroom was ok and cleaned at least daily. (exept some [--] on the wall).
They room was just DIRTY and run down.
Wifi worked only a few hours per day.
There are a lot of long term resistens, some of them are very strange and drug addicted.
The hotel is located in the red light district (strip clubs). But not that bad if you have already seen "real" red light districts.
China town is just a stone throw away.
Staff was not very nice but not rude at all.
Better spend a few bucks more and stay somewhere else. The risk of bed bugs is just too high.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GoedDruff
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2013

From the moment you try to peer thru the filthy glass front door, you know your trip is off to a bad start......unfortunately it just gets worse! Sticky stair carpets and handrails lead you up to the reception window which makes you feel as tho you'll get sheets thrown at you when you sign in! The whole place smells vile and is disgustingly dirty. The room (for a better word) was horrendous.... filthy, stinking of rotting something with a window which had the joy of a strip of material for a curtain that didn't even meet both sides! The bed covers were awful, full of cigarette burns and holes of some other making and not inviting to say the least. Room was over the local nightclub and at 3pm was blasting away so god only knows how people were meant to sleep with it. Nightclub wasn't the only worry, shared toilet and shower room on the corridor were so dirty and smelly that i knew we couldnt nor wouldnt be staying here for even one night! We locked our cases in the room and went searching for another local hotel. (we did this after enjoying a drink in a local Irish bar). The manager of this second Hotel was really shocked when we told him we had actually ventured into the Europa, and started scratching his arms at the thought...asking us if we had brought any 'visitors' with us!!!!!!! We said that the bugs were safely back at Europa and that we hadn't even opened our cases! This place should be removed from all hotel booking sites as soon as possible.......it is nothing like their advertisment in any way, shape or form.It's disgusting, dirty, stinks, is vermin and roach ridden, it homes prostitutes and smack-heads, and should really be visited by some form of authority and closed down to the paying tourist market. I wish i had taken some photos.

Please Please Please ...... do not book this hovel (yes i meant to write hovel) unless you are a prostitute or a smack-head........in which case you're welcome to it!!!

Shame we can't give a minus score as it'd be off the scale! Only good thing is the location of it.

Room Tip: Avoid this Hotel at all costs.......... A park bench would be healthier and safer!!!!!!!!!!!
Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank crinx
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2013

omg..... no words could explain our experience at this ???? hotel, no way..... taxi dropped us outside front door, glass door which was absolutely filthy, not a good start I thought, but hey ho, we only needed a bed to sleep, after treking up the filthy stairs, which our feet were sticking to and trying to hold on to the sticky banister we arrived at the reception ..... well a room with an opening..... we were shown to our room on the first floor..... was this san francisco or a third world country geeeeeeeeeeeeeeez it was awful, I had to use the shared toilet on that floor and that made my mind up, no way could we stay here..... on returning to the room i pulled back the top bed cover which wasn't the cleanest of covers, to find it covered in cigarette burns, we didnt look any further..... it was 3pm in afternoon and the noise from the club next door was deafening, could you imagine that going on all night?????? how on earth they allowed to trade is beyond belief...... we left our cases and found another hotel nearby, then came back to check out.... no way could we have slept in that dark, dingy, filthy place. Surely this place should be reported to the authorities and all trading ceased until cleaned up..... I'm sure it would keep pest control workers employed for weeks...............There is no way i could even consider giving this hotel a rating.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank 29Flip
Albany, New York
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I'm not somebody who's scared away by slightly sketchy conditions. I've stayed in plenty of terrible hotels on the road to save money. I travel all the time and have encountered some of everything. This hotel the worst I've ever stayed in.

Unfortunately my friends bailed on a trip to SF and I couldn't afford my hotel so I canceled the reservations the day I was leaving. When I got there I was looking for somewhere cheap, had a friend look up on line and I called a few places. Ended up at the Europa hotel.

Now I'm not an idiot and I know it's generally not a good sign when there's an old atm on the from of the hotel and what looks to be a strip club next door, but again I've seen it all(Or have I).

The first person I encounter before I even pay for a room asked if I needed various things to which I politely declined. Anyway the hotel was pretty cheap so I said whatever and did it. I needed to sleep somewhere and I'm not afraid of a little sketchiness.

I never actually went into the shared bathroom but judging by everything else I wouldn't recommend it. There was a sink in the room and I used that to pee. As so as I got into the room I knew it was going to be interesting. One thing you notice right away is the loud music blasting from the club downstairs/next door.I checked for bedbugs and found no signs. Just in case I kept everything in my backpack and kept that on a chair in the corner.

The bed was in rough shape but hell it was a place to sleep right? Right after I settled down there was a load argument, included screaming pounding against a wall or door and possibly a fight. I turned on the ghetto tv that had no remote and was missing some buttons. There were 4 channels, one was discovery. I cranked up some show about gold mining and went to sleep. In the middle of the night I woke up and noticed a couple black spots on the bed. Was hoping it was just pieces of dirt(The place was a joke) I looked at my pillow and there were bedbugs everywhere. At this point I didn't really have much choice so I killed all that I could see and went back to sleep.

Luckily while I was at a show in the mission district the next night I called my friend and had him look up some hostels. Ended up staying at a hostel in the financial disctrict for 27 a night. I was rooming with 11 other guys but the place was immaculate and all I really needed was a place to sleep.

Honestly you're better off sleeping on a bench in the park than staying at the europa. If you're broke save your money for something else.

Luckily keeping everything in my bag kept me from bringing any bed bugs around with me.

Place is a disaster 0/10 rating

Room Tip: If you're young check out some of the hostels. If that's not your style you might have to sp...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo