“Basic room for a short stay - may be noisy in the night”
Review of Post Hotel

Post Hotel
Ranked #187 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I was nervous about this hotel I have to admit. I haven't been on a budget for a long time. As this trip is a personal extension of a business trip, I am sharing a room with a friend and on budget by staying in Post Hotel. I really believe you get what you pay for. We get 2 queen size beds which barely fit into the room - but am contented that for 60 USD per person, we do not need to share a king size bed. We can hardly open the bathroom door as one of the bed was blocking the way. A little of a squeeze, for 2 petite female travelers. The bathroom is of a decent size with a bath tub. The basin is located outside the bathroom. Our room is facing the main road with a pub across the road - you can hear conversations till 2 - 3 am in the night. If you are a light sleeper - I recommend other hotels. The room next to us is undergoing some sort of renovation. We were woken up by noise of renovation works at 9 am on Day 2 - I guess it helps us get over jet lag by forcing us to be up early. The hotel seems fairly clean. At a corner of the room, there was a pipe which looked torn in the middle that ran from the floor to the ceiling. I really do not know what the pipe is for as the torn parts seems to be mended by some tape or some sticky thing that is soft......Well, we are only here for 3 nights - so it's an alright stay all in all. Location is great though - 7 minutes to union square :) Very basic hotel - not sure if I would come back though - it feels clean but rather shabby at the same time.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Post H, Guest Relations Manager at Post Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

We appreciate the fair feedback about our hotel. As it is our commitment to offer excellent service to all our customers, we always keep in mind every matter that concerns you. We apologize for the inconvenience at the time of your stay. Consider that all your concerns regarding the bed blocking the bathroom door, ambiance, the renovation, and pipe at the corner of the room will be noted respectively. Thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

Post Hotel has a wonderful location on Post Street in the Union Square Financial District of downtown San Francisco. It is basic but clean. The rooms are smallish (so small that there was no table or chair), but the toilet was reasonably large and well furnished.

There is no restaurant, so prices are without breakfast. There is a vending machine in the hotel with snacks and beverages. There is a laundromat, but you have to buy your own detergent from the Walgreen's around the corner, which doesn't make much sense if you're staying for a couple of days.

The staff were reasonably friendly. They also provided a coffee maker which was requested during booking. The room I had was very quiet (also requested during booking).

In summary, although the room is clean and the hotel is well located, at around $120, this is somewhat pricey.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

It is our pleasure to give satisfaction to all of our customers and your fair review about our hotel is an encouragement for us to continue our goal to provide quality service to you. Thank you for acknowledging the cleanliness our hotel, large and well-furnished toilet, good location, and customer service we have brought you. As for your concerns regarding the size of our hotel rooms, restaurant, breakfast, and our rate, rest assured that these are all noted. We will be pleased to see you again soon for a better service.

Reviewed 17 May 2013

The boy at the desk was possibly the worst receptionist I have ever encountered. Every single time we came into contact with him, he screwed us around and seemed to lie to increase prices and change things around. He made us move rooms half way through our stay, charged us $3 to print 3 pieces of paper and then refused to let us have a room that another guest had given to us (because he wouldn't let 4 of us stay in the room he had moved us into - even though we had booked a room with two double beds) because he could sell it. Then when we asked to buy the room (which had already been paid for by the couple who was leaving and had given us the room), he told us it would be $350 a night.

I hope you are fired soon Mihau because you have probably ruined more than one experience at this hotel/ hostel.

• Stayed: May 2013
5  Thank Emma S

Our sincerest apologies for inconvenience you experienced at our hotel. As a part of our yearning to meet all our customers’ expectations, be at peace that your concerns regarding our staff will surely be given a careful attention. We appreciate your review about our hotel. We are hoping to serve you better on your next visit.

Reviewed 26 March 2013

I paid close to $70/ night for a deluxe king room, when I booked this place I really don't expect much especially for the price I paid in San Francisco, I get to the hotel around 11am to drop off my bag, nice surprise they have the room ready so they let me check in early, the building is quiet old but clean and well maintain, the location is very good, on the weekend there so many things going on in the area so may get a little noisy but didn't bother me, many restaurant open late, convenient store around the corner, a good breakfast spot "honey honey" right next door, gotta try their fresh squeeze OJ umm yumm, good coffee spot "cafe encore" is a block away, ask for Lidya to make your drink she is awesome barista, Al post hotel employee help me a lot with parking and what ever question that I ask about the city He know the city very well!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank oceanrfrizz

Thank you for sharing your experience you had at the time of your stay. We are happy to know that you find our location very good, our building clean and well maintained, and our customer service great. As we aim to provide exceptional service to all our customers, you can be sure that we will keep this exceptional service at all times. We look forward to serve you again.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

My friends and I stayed here for New Years and booked a $200 room with 2 double beds. When we first got there the guy at the front desk didn’t want to let 2 of our 2 friends come up with us to get ready even though they were not staying over night. When we got to the room we found out it has no bathroom, there is a COMUNAL BATHROOM with NATZI SIGNS all over the place. The room was INCREDIBLY DIRTY, there were 2 twin beds with plastic wrap on the mattresses. The room looked nothing like the room I found online, and they gave us twin beds instead of doubles! When I asked to see the room I actually booked they told me this was it and to pay now or get kicked out which they "didn't want to do" we decided to stick it out because we were already there and it was late. The pillows had no pillow cases, the free "cot" they told us they would bring up for free is really a 3 inch pad covered in BROWN AND URINE STAINS that they place on the floor. When we asked for 3 pillow cases, towels, and a blanket for the third person who now had to sleep on the disgusting matt brought up, they kept asking why we needed these things and acted especially annoyed that we wanted pillowcases. Finally 30 minutes later it was brought up and there were gum wrappers still in the blankets from the last person…. obviously not washed. They gave us a bill for $250 when our booking receipt was $200 for a decent room with 2 double beds. We had to argue for an hour before they gave us the room for 180… Plus we had to pay 50 bucks for parking because they were full and have no discount system set up with the garage next door for guests. This room was a complete waste of money and I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. Its one thing staying in a terrible room, I can deal with it, but paying $230 to stay in one makes it so much worse. I still feel robbed. Worse than any hostel I’ve ever stayed in and 12 times more.

Room Tip: Walls and windows are paper thin, stay on a higher floor away from the street if possible
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank TheVulcann

We earnestly apologize for the inconvenience incurred during your stay. As we aim to provide quality service and better stay for our customers, all your concerns regarding the customer service of our staff, bathroom with natzi signs, room cleanliness will not be ignored. We appreciate and accept your comments as our motivation to improve our services even more.

Reviewed 24 November 2012

Stayed here for a weekend. We often stay at fancy places and this was a great change :)

The room was clean, well heated, the wifi worked. We did hear very little noise from the street, no noise from other rooms. The staff was super friendly and helpful.

It is a bit annoying to have to go out of your room for the toilet and shower. But we knew this in advance.

If you want to spend little and have a great stay 2 min from union square, go to the post hotel !

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the wonderful feedback you gave for our hotel. We highly appreciate the time and effort you exert to express your satisfaction to our hospitality, cleanliness of our rooms, and the convenience of our location. It is our pleasure to meet and exceed your expectations. Rest assured that we will continue to provide quality customer service and great experience to all our valued customers. We are excited to give our best to serve you again on your next stay.

Reviewed 3 November 2012

This hotel really was a nice surprise. I decided last minute to stay the night in the city. The room was relatively inexpensive, compared to SF standards. The lobby was small and a bit dated, and the elevator is old school, but the room was newly updated and remodeled, and actually quite nice. It was a very small room but very comfortable for one person. It was very clean and had a private full bathroom, which was also completely updated, a flat screen TV with dish network, brand new king size bed and a separate closet. There was a room on my floor that had coin operated washers/dryers, along with vending and ice machines and a nice sitting area. Not a lot of extra's, but certainly a pleasant place to stay One thing to keep in mind...part of the hotel is a hostel, and it can be kind of noisy at times. However, it wasn't anything that bothered me, just an observation. The location is fabulous...only blocks from the theater's, shopping, restaurants, bars, and Union Square. Market street is minutes away (walking) where you can catch Bart or Muni to anywhere in the city and most of the Bay area. The staff was very friendly, and the front desk is 24 hours. The neighborhood is pretty good and safe, especially on weekends, when there are lots of people out and about. There are quite a few 24 hour places in this area as well. I would stay here again, and I would certainly recommend this to my friends for a cheap, clean, convenient place to stay in SF!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Post H, Guest Relations Manager at Post Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

We are happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We really appreciate your recommendation. Rest assured that as we aim to provide the best for our customers, we will continue to improve our services more. Thank you for commending our rate, room, bathroom, furniture, appliances, location, and customer service. It is our pleasure to exceed your expectations. We look forward to serve you exceptionally on your next visit.