“Roach Motel”

Ranked #127 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Los Angeles, California
“Roach Motel”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

First of all, the room smelled like smoke (and it was supposed to be a non-smoking room). There were burn marks on the comforter and the blanket. I killed a roach that was crawling on the wall in room #21. The chairs were disgustingly filthy and dirty, I didn't dare put my things on them. I had to put my things only on the counters after wiping them down. The people in the "office" (if you can even call it that) didn't really seem surprised nor did they care to move me to a different room. Forget about asking for a refund. So it was either sleep there feeling itchy or sleep in the car, which was not the best weather to try that. I will NEVER sleep at this motel ever again and hope that they either do improvements or go out of business so no one else has to go through what I went through while I was there.

A last minute booking didn't leave me with many options and since I didn't have a lot of money I figured I was getting a deal in booking this room. What a mistake that was. I wish I had read the reviews on here first BEFORE making that mistake again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Travel_Bug_0917

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Czech first
Fjardhundra, Sweden
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My mother and I decided to stay at this motel since we needed a place to crash while running around the city for a weekend. Considering the price and location- it was excellent! Chestnut St and several restaurants are right around the corner. The 30 Stockton, and the 22 Fillmore buses stop just a block away, so we could go to our favorite haunts in town. And the price of the room didn't break our SF budget.
When I booked the room, I did not expect much considering that it was a small motel on Lombard- "motel row". All we wanted was a bed, clean room, tv and refrigerator. And this place definitely met our needs.
I travel a lot for work, and spend more time in hotels than I do at home. But this is probably one of the better low-budget motels I have stayed at. At the time we stayed, they were renovating the rooms (not so we noticed it though). It seems like the new owners/managers have taken consideration to previous complaints and are working hard at improving the rooms. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: I heard that when the ground floor rooms are finished, they will have hardwood floors which will be...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Queenstown
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This is THE WORST motel I have EVER stayed at.

Travelling is a part of my job, and on this particular trip, I'd been on the road for almost 5 months, mainly in Peru and Ecuador - often in very cheap and basic accommodations. Of all the places I've stayed, I repeat - this is simply the worst. Please, I'm begging you for your own health and safety and well-being, DO NOT STAY at the Lombard Plaza Motel!

Staff were smoking in the rooms as they "cleaned", left sheets lying on the concrete before cleaning them, and at one stage even threw broken chairs from the 2nd floor to the ground level - where they shattered, one piece hitting me while I was taking something out of our parked car.

I feel embarrassed for making such a rookie mistake as to stay at this hotel. As a last minute decision, we booked via booking.com, and didn't take the time to read any of the earlier reviews on Trip Advisor. Big mistake...

The room was advertised as having a fridge and microwave, neither of which were present. WIFI reception was poor at best, and I often had to leave our room and walk closer to the reception to get any coverage at all.

One of the staff came into our room, without knocking, for absolutely no reason, on the day of our arrival. We felt intruded upon, and no apology was given.

The old lady on reception was unhelpful and rude. Her son, Moses, who later armed the front desk was more helpful for general requests.

Sheets on our bed had cigarette burns. The carpet under our bed looked like it hadn't been cleaned since it was put down. There was a dirty beer cup and a dirty nappy under our bed, which I only noticed at check-out when I was checking to see if we'd left any of our stuff under the bed. *SHUDDER*

Worst of all - we found out too late that our bed was infected with bed bugs, and we both received multiple bites, as well as a serious rash, perhaps from some bizarre chemicals or possibly a reaction to too many bed bug bites. Now, just over two weeks later from our unfortunate stay at the Lombard Plaza Motel, the swelling, bites and rash are slowly subsiding, but it has been an incredibly uncomfortable and agonising week of unnecessary pain. In case you're wondering, we stayed in room #28. Avoid at all costs this room (and the entire property!).

I spoke with reception to complain about these issues, and while apologetic, all they did was give me the name of the manager to contact later, as she was out at the time. Now that I've returned home, I contacted the office last week to speak with Siguid, the named manager, and apparently she's on holiday until Nov, and in the mean time no one else seems to have the authority to deal with my complaint.

So, for now, I'll be contacting whatever San Francisco authorities I can, to put this motel under investigation, or at least to force it to clean up its act. No one should be subjected to any one of the above-mentioned complaints, let alone all of them!

On the plus side, the motel is in a handy location, and Mel's Diner just one block away does an awesome breakfast.

Please, do not stay here!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Steve W

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We booked it online on short notice the afternoon we headed for San Francisco. It looked ok online (didn't check here though) and price seemed right for SF. Overall basic motel with some shall we say 'interesting' looking people staying here. Room basic, bath seemed renovated and clean. All we wanted was a place for a night and it seemed right. Unfortunately when I woke up the next morning I had about 20 bed bug bites to show. My friend in the other bed was ok, it hit just me. So I guess it's hit and miss... but the low price for SF was what got us here.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank peetg
Reviewed 19 April 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I initially booked 2 nights here for our first stay in San Fran. We pulled up to the motel shortly after check-in time to see a man we thought was homeless walking in and out of the rooms with 'clean' towels and a lit cigarette in his mouth. We went to check in and no body came to the front desk. After waiting a while, finally the dirty rugged man came to the desk and said the manager wasn't there, to come back in 30mins. So we did, still no show. We made a THIRD attempt, now over a hour after we were initially allowed to check in and the manager STILL wasn't there! The dirty man eventually decided to try and check us in even though he had no clue how! Incredibly dodgy! Miraculously the manager showed up to finish our check in ... No explanation or apology of what had happened. Atrocious! We told the manager we wanted to cancel or second night, even though we wished we didnt have to stay at all!! We walk to our room and notice that there are AXE cuts and holes in some of the room doors! It was completely dodgy!! The entire experience was dreadful. I PLEAD WITH YOU ALL NOT TO STAY HERE! We later spoke of our experience with a guy at reception to another motel in this area and he advised us that the local community are actually trying incredibly hard to get this motel closed down because it gives such a bad name to the area. The guy also said that this motel is so dodgy, they somehow pass audits and checks, regardless of how horrible this joint is. TRUST ME! DO NOT STAY HERE! THEY DO NOT DESERVE ANY MORE CHANCES!!!!

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Kat E
San Diego, California
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Last year I drove 49,000 miles doing my school program under a special one year contract at 260 schools across the U.S. I stayed in a LOT of hotels. This was the first time I made a reservation and almost cancelled after reading reviews. But as I learned last year, you have to be willing to take a chance because many times motels or restaurants get reviews that do not hold up to inspection. This is NOT bad motel. I checked out each of the things reviews mentioned and also anything on You Tube. I enjoyed my stay there, I paid a total of $78 or so to be in a nice spot on Lombard Street. I arrived and told the very friendly manager that I had my doubts about staying due to reviews. I also told him what is true: I did MANY MANY reviews last year that were NOT the same as some reviews of hotels because these were not bad places. I told him I read the reviews about bugs, unchanged linen, some people calling it the worst hotel ever. "Here are two keys. Check out these rooms," he told me. "If you don't like those come back." Here is THE REALITY a)the outside of this hotel needs some work, particularly the pavement. b)the outside of the structure is old looking. c)the rooms I saw were REFURBISHED old rooms...new shower...new toilet...new paint job...new bathroom tile..older carpet but who cares? TV was crisp, satellite TV with decent amount of channels. Internet was EXCELLENT d)LOTS of parking space (sort of cramped lot but parking on each side). I told him, "I think some people are impacted by the outside of the hotel and that colors their view in reviews." He said: "It's like a lady. Do you only judge what a lady is by what you see outside?" And he is CORRECT: if you want a hotel with a great value, great internet, right on Lombard street, you'll like it. I didn't see breakfast (I got it walking down the street). But I also write and I could see coming up there for a few days since the INternet is excellent, it's near many restaurants and the price is so good for the area. I suggest if you have doubts you reserve a room and do like I did: ask the desk to let you see a room.Also: reviews talk about some people who live by the week there. There are some but not all by any means. Another review on one site talked about homeless type people near the motel. They are also on that street. The room? No bugs. No unchanged linen. No unwashed linen. No unwashed towels. Just a little, old motel owned by a hard working family that is refurbishing it as they get the money to do so -- with rooms far nicer than the outside (three simple lamps for light, a fridge and a microwave..VERY comfortable mattress and pillows). MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION and check out the rooms.

Room Tip: When you call ask him for a really nice room and, again, the manager was QUITE eager to give me keys...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Joe G
Bathurst, Australia
Reviewed 10 April 2013

This is the worst place i have ever stayed , Noisy , Extremely dirty enough that made you incredibly ill to the stomach. Sheets were dirty . bathroom filthy towels dirty the list goes on and on.... stayed here due to no where else to stay as there was four us . Theres a reason they make you pay upfront . thought about sleeping in rental car that bad ......................

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends