“Not Touristy (which is a good thing)”

Sailing San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Sail the San Francisco Bay on a private sailing charter with a licensed captain on a modern, 37 foot luxury yacht for less than the competition.
Farmington, New Mexico
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Not Touristy (which is a good thing)”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We were in SF with another couple and weren't sure what to do as far as activities with them. We are not the tour bus stand in line kinda, people. I took a chance and booked 3 hrs with Capt. John. It was so cool, we met him at a yacht club and he picked us up at the dock in his yacht/sailboat and we immediately hit the bay. He asked us what we wanted to see and he took us there. We opted for Sausalito and Tiburon. It was gorgeous, we brought cheese bread and wine on the boat and enjoyed the views and his company.

He worked the sails and we loved the action that went with it. He's a true professional.

It wasn't that expensive either considering there were four of us.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Wayne640

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“The Great Escape is the best ever!”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We were in SFO for a long weekend and out day out on the Great Escape was the highlight of our trip! First - the boat is beautiful, clean and well maintained. However, this does not compare to the amazing service from Captain Mike and First Mate Allie. They were not only a total blast to be with but they were very experienced and knowledgeable. While Mike took us under the Golden Gate Bridge and showed us all of the sights, Allie was giving us some interesting facts (and funny stories) about the area and the history of the city. I would recommend The Great Escape to any one and we can't wait to return with our kids for another wonderful experience!

Visited March 2013
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“THAT'S the way to see the Bay!!!”
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Even before Capt. Mike gives you the "Permission to come aboard!", you just feel that you are in for an incredible time. I never imagined that in one sailing trip I would see and learn so much. From the stunning views of the Golden Gate Bridge, to the close-up looks at Alcatraz, the beautiful evening skyline of San Francisco, and on and on. Oh yeah... we also were fortunate enough to see a sailing team training for next years America's Cup, what a bonus!

Anyone can show you all of these sites... but I just can't say enough about our hosts. Between Capt. Mike's steady hand, knowledge of sailing and willingness to let us take a turn behind the wheel, there was never a time that I didn't feel completely safe and comfortable. That easiness, coupled with First Mate Alison's contagious enthusiasm and unmatched hospitality, makes for a 'dynamic duo' of a team! No matter if you book a sunset sail, a half-day or a full-day... it will undoubtedly end much too soon. Can't wait for our next visit and sail... Thanks Capt. Mike & First Mate Alison for a day to not soon forget : )

Dave & Jill

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Dave K
Minneapolis, MN
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Sailing aboard the ALMA”
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Had the best sailing experience today aboard this ship. Run by the National Park Svc and we had the most knowledable park ranger aboard, this lady was wonderful! The whole staff obviously loves what they do and did their utmost to make sure everyone was enjoying the sail and comfortable. Very hands on if you want to participate as you learn about sailing. We toured the bay area, went under the Golden Gate bridge and saw the city in a new way, kids were allowed to help with the ropes and adjusting the sails and could even steer if they'd like, or you could just sit back and enjoy the harbor views. 2 1/2 hrs and well worth the time.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank cruisinsisters
Los Angeles, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Sail the Bay to Fully Appreciate the City by the Bay”
Reviewed 1 August 2012

From the moment I called Captain John Yelda, I felt I was in good hands. I was traveling with my niece and nephew and wanted to make sure the boat was new, clean, and extremely seaworthy and the captain would be safe, afford the kids to learn something about sailing, and make sure our trip was pleasant. John and I stayed in constant reliable contact as our plans changed. We went out to the bridge under cloudy skies and sailed back around Alcatraz under bright sunny skies with an amazing view of the city. I have visited San Francisco many times over the years but never sailed in the bay. To fully experience the City by the Bay, you need to get out on the water.

Visited July 2012