“Japantown” 3 of 5 bubbles

and up
San Francisco Combo: Ferry Building Food Tour and Alcatraz
Ranked #85 of 285 Tours in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Edible Excursions is an award-winning culinary tour company offering tours for individuals and groups looking to go behind-the-scenes with a local expert through San Francisco, Berkeley, and Oakland. Taste the remarkable food culture that exists in these regions and enjoy an authentic Bay Area food experience.
Arlington, Virginia
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Japantown”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

I traveled with my aunt who is on her 70's during our visit to San Francisco. This is our first time to travel to SFO. We had been to Chinatown and North Beach walking food tour from another company before we joined the Japantown walking food tour with Lisa. Japantown is smaller compared to Chinatown and North Beach. I think one of the contributor did made a detailed review of the Japantown food tour. My review will be short and simple. We went for the sweet Potato latte lasting, mochi, onigiri (the salted rice wrapped in seaweed sheets in triangular shape), Taiyaki (pancake with red bean filling shape like a fish), Okonomiyaki (Japanese pizza with shredded cabbage), Odon soup with seaweed salad, and last one in a restaurant which I can't remember the name of the dish. We went inside the Japanese mall. Took pictures called Pika Pika. Picture booth where one can design the pictures. It was a nice tour but is not our favorite walking food tour. It's just because of our taste buds. I felt that the tour price is expensive. This is the most expensive food tasting tour I ever had $90 each person.

Visited March 2014

Sacramento, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great introduction to this area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

I has the happy participant in the Edible Excursions exploration of Berkeley's 'Gourmet Ghetto' this past weekend led by Anna Mindess. I live in Sacramento but travel to the bay area often and was pleased to get acquainted with this particular area. The variety of places, the samples at each, and the information shared by Anna and the representatives at each place was just great. Came home and promptly ordered two gift certificates for my daughter and son-in-law. Am looking forward to exploring this area further on my own and will be scheduling a similar trip in SF!

Visited January 2014
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Ferry Fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

Wow! What a great tour we had with Joshua as our guide through the Ferry building. For two hours, he filled our tummies with wonderful new tastes, while filling our brains with SF history. We didn't feel too guilty about eating constantly since we were walking off the calories, too! Started off with delicious pear pastries, sampled gluten-free bread, gourmet honey, succulent chocolate, fresh French bread with buttery cheeses, fresh salame, and incredible macaroons. Always heard of their famous Farmers Market and got to wander through it, too. A definite must-do on any foodie's bucket list. And, kudos to the culinary chef tour guide, Joshua Clever, who makes food come alive!

Visited January 2014
California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Berkeley Gourmet Ghetto...Amazing!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

What a great neighborhood!! Without even starting the tour, we could already tell that this area is special. The people that live here support their local restaurants and gourmet markets. Our tour was one of the best (I have been on 6 other food tours throughout the US and I would rate this one as good as my favorite one - Greenwich Village in NYC!!) The food variety is great. From the celery soda (which is surprisingly tasty) and pastrami sandwich at Sauls Deli to the best tasting pizza at The Cheeseboard we had an excellent sample of the different types of food offered in this 4 block radius of merchants. HIGHLY RECOMMEND this tour.

Visited December 2013
Stockton, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Japantown Tour - Highly Recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

My wife & I, along with four other friends took the Japantown Tour last weekend. We were joined by six others and we were all led by our tour guide, Alice. The educational aspects of the tour were most interesting and the various tastings were diverse as well as being delicious. Alice, who lives close by, was extremely knowledgeable, congenial and fun to be with. Our group all rated this tour 5-star plus.

Visited November 2013