“Great morning start at the Ferry Building in SF”
Review of Edible Excursions

San Francisco Combo: Ferry Building Food Tour and Alcatraz
Ranked #5 of 321 Nightlife in San Francisco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Edible Excursions leads award-winning walking San Francisco food and cocktail tours, Oakland food and beer tours, and Berkeley food tours. Book public walking food tours, private tours, or corporate team building food tour experiences from one of the first food tour companies in the US.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
san jose, ca
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Great morning start at the Ferry Building in SF”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

My friends and I wanted to get together so we decided to meet up in SF for a food tour in the Ferry building. This would be a great start for anyone wanting to try out a food tour. It was a short walk since everything was inside the ferry building. We tasted a bigger than palm sized cherry tart, a thumb size sea salt Carmel chocolate, 2 different cheeses, bread, cupful slices of prosciutto, French macaroons, small cup sized chilli, and spring rolls (from slanted door). The tour started at 9:30 and ended at 11:30am. Sophie was our guide and she was great and knowledgeable. She is very passionate about food. She could also give you tips on where to go and what to do around the area.
It was a great day in the city. There were a lot if people in the ferry building. The farmers market on Saturdays was bustling. Lots of interesting things to see and taste. There are definitely other food you can taste for free as you walk around after the tour. Come hungry or have a light breakfast as we did. Don't forget to bring water or any beverage as there is no stop for a beverage during the tour. My friends and I am looking for other tours to go to since we had a great experience here.

CAPITOLA
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Temescal Tastes”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Took our parents as a Christmas gift. Had done food tours in San Francisco with another company, so we were hoping this would be at least as nice. We chose it because it was nearer their home and parking is super easy.

This tour blew the other tours out of the water! The owner/manager of every single place took the time to personally deliver our "tastes". We learned about what experience the owner had before starting their current enterprise, a bit of history about their philosophy around food, and we learned quite a bit about the food itself and how the restauranteer decided to create the dishes. One of the chefs had been on the "Top Chef" TV series.

I put "tastes" in quotes because the portions were unbelievably large. In one of the restaurants, when we arrived the table was nicely set, with a snack size, but still large main dish, a cup of chai, a pitcher of water, and then we were given a sample to go! In a Korean restaurant there was a similar setup, but the owner brought out over 12 side dishes, two large bowls of food, and then another large platter of food.

So, not only were the owners extremely welcoming and friendly and the food delicious and plentiful, but the diversity of the food on the tour was astounding. I know that these tours change from time to time, but on this tour we had food from at least 5 ethnicities, including Ethiopian, Korean, Mexican, and Indian.

Our guide was very knowledgeable about food in general, and this neighborhood and these restaurants in particular. She and the others that joined the group were very welcoming and friendly. So, I enjoyed exploring a new "foodie destination" on a beautiful day with friends old and new. All in all, this trip exceeded my expectations in every way.

Visited May 2014
Arlington, Virginia
91 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Japantown”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I traveled with my aunt who is on her 70's during our visit to San Francisco. This is our first time to travel to SFO. We had been to Chinatown and North Beach walking food tour from another company before we joined the Japantown walking food tour with Lisa. Japantown is smaller compared to Chinatown and North Beach. I think one of the contributor did made a detailed review of the Japantown food tour. My review will be short and simple. We went for the sweet Potato latte lasting, mochi, onigiri (the salted rice wrapped in seaweed sheets in triangular shape), Taiyaki (pancake with red bean filling shape like a fish), Okonomiyaki (Japanese pizza with shredded cabbage), Odon soup with seaweed salad, and last one in a restaurant which I can't remember the name of the dish. We went inside the Japanese mall. Took pictures called Pika Pika. Picture booth where one can design the pictures. It was a nice tour but is not our favorite walking food tour. It's just because of our taste buds. I felt that the tour price is expensive. This is the most expensive food tasting tour I ever had $90 each person.

Visited March 2014
Sacramento, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great introduction to this area”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I has the happy participant in the Edible Excursions exploration of Berkeley's 'Gourmet Ghetto' this past weekend led by Anna Mindess. I live in Sacramento but travel to the bay area often and was pleased to get acquainted with this particular area. The variety of places, the samples at each, and the information shared by Anna and the representatives at each place was just great. Came home and promptly ordered two gift certificates for my daughter and son-in-law. Am looking forward to exploring this area further on my own and will be scheduling a similar trip in SF!

Visited January 2014
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Ferry Fun”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Wow! What a great tour we had with Joshua as our guide through the Ferry building. For two hours, he filled our tummies with wonderful new tastes, while filling our brains with SF history. We didn't feel too guilty about eating constantly since we were walking off the calories, too! Started off with delicious pear pastries, sampled gluten-free bread, gourmet honey, succulent chocolate, fresh French bread with buttery cheeses, fresh salame, and incredible macaroons. Always heard of their famous Farmers Market and got to wander through it, too. A definite must-do on any foodie's bucket list. And, kudos to the culinary chef tour guide, Joshua Clever, who makes food come alive!

Visited January 2014