“awesome”

Price range: US$0 - US$10
Cuisines: Venezuelan
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Neighbourhood: Mission District
Description: In 2008, Adriana Lopez Vermut and her father decided to bring their beloved Venezuelan culture to their California home. Since starting our brand in 2008 and opening our San Francisco location in 2010, Pica Pica Arepa Kitchen has been committed to sharing the fresh, vibrant flavors of Venezuela from a kitchen that slow cooks and hand makes every dish from scratch. Based in natural, healthy ingredients like yucca, plantains, and corn, our entire menu is 100% gluten-free and filled with healthy options. We're proud to introduce our family's tradition and culture's heritage with San Francisco, and we hope we'll get a chance to share it with you soon!
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I was so happy that a friend told me to try this place. 100% gluten free and it was so yummy. I miss them already!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Maybe you've tried arepas before but I had not. Hubby and I gave it a shot at this small San Francisco restaurant in the Mission District. Arepas are a soft cornbreadish pouch stuffed with chicken, beefs, pork or vegetarian. I had shredded beef and it was yummy. It was served with a sort of cabbage slaw that was refreshing with the rich arepa. Hubby had nachos that were huge and made with fried taro instead of corn chips. Also very good. This a casual place where you order at the counter but service was quick and polite. I couldn't tell you how authentic every thing is but I can tell you we enjoyed our lunch very much.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

My vegetarian daughter takes me to some not-so-usual eateries, but what a nice surprise Pica Pica was. Venezuelan it says on the outside sign, but I'd call it cosmopolitan. I had the chicken arepa since I was wary, but not to worry. The meat, fresh avocado, veggies in the wonderful corn "sandwich" were so tasty & delicious, I wished I could eat a second. Had yucca fries and fried plantains so had more food than needed. This small restaurant is a treat and a very nice surprise!

Reviewed 11 November 2013

My family and I were on vacation and are all gluten free. This was so good we came back a second time and will definately be back the next time we are in san fran!!

Reviewed 4 November 2013

This is the worst Arepa I have ever had around the world. -- When you get into the place the odor is what we say "huele a coleto humedo" o a "trapo mojado" .....that odor when you clean a floor with the same cloth in a row without washing the cloth. -- Then I ordered a "Arepa con Pernil" which is arepa filled with pulled pork ....it seems that by default PicaPica puts "hot sauce" picante with the avocado that fills the arepa ....this is not common in Venezuela...I mean the fact that the arepa comes filled with something that is "picante" .....normally you add the "picante" (hot-sauce) as an option. I asked the waitress to give me an arepa with different filling ..not picante .....and she was very kind to re-do the order for me without picante. - However the next arepa was in the same dish with a salad portion that comes with the order and ended up that the arepa was totally "wet" ....as we say in Caracas estaba "enchunbada" .......converting the eating moment in a "mess". Also the pulled pork was kind of boiled ...."blanco" ...not like the "horneado". -- I also ordered "tajadas" ( ripe plantains ) ...they were "horrorosas" ....duras y quemadas.....the plantain was "verde"...not ripe. - For drink I just had tap water since no Chicha de Arroz or Kolita in this venezuelan restaurant. -- I live in Austin, Texas where no Areperas are around but when I visit other cities like Miami I can have excellent arepas.......is the case for The Arepazo ( famous Miami Venezuelan arepera ). -- This place PicaPica seems to be a tourist-trap food court poised to grab quick vacation dollars and never expect you to return. Expect to spend almost 10 dollars for a "Arepa de Pernil horrible" folks ! Como dicen en mi pueblo : Una y no mas !