“Hit & Miss”

Ranked #193 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Carterton, United Kingdom
“Hit & Miss”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The good part of the Hotel is the location, close to all attractions & China Town just around the corner which was like another world. Unfortunately the room was tiny, no room to move, the bed was very uncomfortable & I came away with 2 nasty bites :(
Be aware you have to request clean towels & a bed change...windows & blinds could do with a re vamp.
The staff at the Hotel were a bit frosty to start, but seemed to improve as the week went on.
On a good note the Happy Donut café 2 doors away was great for breakfast & sweet treats, the staff were always friendly.
It was what you would expect for the price

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road if you want to sleep
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Huntington Beach, California, United States
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Pleased with the quality of this hotel considering the low price. My room was clean and had its own sink, mini-fridge, microwave, and TV. I would have preferred to see a duvet with a removable cover on the bed instead of a bedspread, but the bedspread appeared clean. The nights I stayed there were quiet and I slept well. Staff was friendly. Shared bathrooms were reasonably clean. The location is great for tourists with Chinatown right there, Telegraph Hill close, and just a short bus ride or walk to the F line on Market Street. Use some of the money you saved on accommodations to eat at at nearby Cotogna (get the fixed price menu) or House of Nanking or get some Blue Bottle Coffee at The Station.

Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Sheila P
Leeds
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We could not have stayed anywhere else so central for the same price and although basic it was everything you needed, a clean room and clean shared bathrooms, you get what you pay for and if you want luxury you probably won't enjoy it

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Shared bathrooms and Restrooms(toilets) Are you used to that? Than you are totally up for this hotel. The staff is really friendly and helping whenever they can. There is a computer + internet you can use and our room was just really clean + sink / Tv. I liked the location just in the centre of China Town and Little Italy. 10 a 15 min walk to Fishermens wharf and 10 a 15 min walk to the city centre. Around the corner when you walk up the Colombus (to Fishermens wharf) you find a really cosy counter with a lot of chinese costumers and open almost 24/7(?) with cheap coffee and water and bread/donuts etc. We always had the bagel + veggies and creamcheese for just 2,35 dollar. Just not really a supermarket that is really nearby. Only the wallgreens and maybe a 7/11 but still 10 min walk. Safeway is a good store to get your groceries and just visit the off the grid food truck Friday(get there early!) Its quite cheap and just I wouldnt go there if you are a traveler on your own but just with children or with friends/couples totally worth it!.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor because the second and third floor are a bit bigger so maybe you h...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Internet is promised but not delivered, it's as bad in the lobby as on the 3rd floor. Bathrooms are all common and not very clean. Most of the staff is rude and will not even log complaints. Beds are uncomfortable and rooms are tiny (a double room is same size as a single, only larger bed). No cleaning unless you ask for it.

I stayed during a 6 week study exchange. That meant I had to become a resident (stays longer than 30 days) When you become a resident, you loose lots of privieges. For example, you can no longer pay by card, only cash or money transfer. You also have to pay for cleaning. To clarify: you pay the same amount as the short term guests, but you don't get the same service. The worst part is that they don't tell you in advance, only the first time you try to pay by card or order cleaning. I feel cheated about my stay, as I picked a hotel over a flat just because it was easy and I would not have to worry about things like cleaning and bills.
If you try to complain you get the answer that "Rules are rules, even if you didn't know about them. Talk to the manager". The manager is a very nice lady, but she is rarely here.

In short, I am very disappointed. I know that you get what you pay for, but I will not tolerate false advertisement and rude staff!

(The worst part is that I've got one week left of my stay that I've already prepaid and I wonder when they will start charging me for using the bathrooms)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Kubisen

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We stayed here for two nights (on the first floor, if i remember correctly) and made a note to ourselves never to stay here again. Given it is one of the cheapest to stay in the heart of San Francisco (China town is just there!) at this time of the year. But other than that it was a huge disappointment. The staff at the front desk was VERY unfriendly and there was a lot of noise in the corridor at night, which made is difficult to fall asleep. The room we stayed in was veery hot, and because the window was very low and anyone could get in through it, we could not keep it open. The shared bathroom and toilets were not clean and smelled really bad. Our overall experience was quite a disappointment.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank viharaa
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I stayed here June 30th-July 3rd and I've been fighting bedbugs in my apartment since then. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. When I stayed at Hotel North Beach, I kept getting bug bites on my face (three in a row) then on my arms. I told myself it was mosquitoes, and the desk person even told me she thought it was mosquitoes. Little did I know...I carried the BEDBUGS back with me and I've now spent over $600 trying to get rid of these stupid pests, meanwhile having to go to work covered in red bumps on my arms, hands, chest, back, and FACE. DO NOT STAY HERE - it's not worth the savings!!!!!!!!

And they don't have a website or a way to contact them to complain and at the very least get my money back for the worst stay of my life.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo