The hotel is a standard HI Express but it has a lot of annoying things to put people off. The air conditioning is noisy - so is the bathroom exhaust. The TV looked old in the age of flat screen televisions. No wireless internet in the room - just a wired one. You are out of luck with an iPad. But there is wireless in the lobby and a couple of free computers in the lobby. There is a touchscreen information facility near the computers but the touchscreen is dodgy.
The room safe is key operated which is weird. No room fridge or minibar. The room did not have a view - you get a window facing other rooms.
Breakfast is loaded with sugar. No healthy choices like oatmeal - brown bread was good quality though. Most hotels in California had oatmeal but this one did not. It can get very busy at breakfast - go early for a seat.
Hotel is very clean and they are keen on composting everything. I found it strange as the breakfast was served in paper plates and cutlery was plastic.
We booked a taxi the night before only to be told that there is no record of this when we had to go to the airport. Luckily it was early morning and there were taxis lining up outside the hotel.
The Amtrak bus drop off point is close by and you can walk to hotel - looked safe at night. Just don't disturb the homeless on the streets. It gets a bit quiet at night.
Anyway the charm of San Francisco made up for the hotel shortcmings. It is a beautiful city. We only had two full days but we saw so much of the city on foot. Don't miss the following whilst you are there:
1. Come to San Francisco by Amtrak - Amtrak train comes to oakland and their thruway bus (must be booked with the ticket) goes on the Oakland Bay bridge into San Francisco. The views from the bay bridge cannot be matched esp. at night. They will drop you at Fisherman's wharf where you can walk to the hotel.
2. Ghirardelli Square: You get great views of Golden Gate and Alcatraz from here. Very charming and a must walk from the hotel.
3. Fisherman's wharf: Not much to do here unless you like seafood. Walgreens is very close by for grocery, souvenirs etc (come out of hotel, turn right and then a right again). There is a McDonalds, Burger king, Chipotle etc. I'm a vegetarian - so ate at Gino's pizza and Chipotle. Boudin bakery is a must see for their wonderfully shaped breads.
4. Walk along the piers all the way to Ferry Building: A great walk and lively in the evenings. You'll find many people jogging and the views are fantastic. The night time view of financial district and bay bridge from Pier 14 is superb. 1 hour walk from the hotel at a slow pace.
5. Muir Woods, Sausalito & Golden Gate: Get a tour company to take you there from the hotel. Wonderful redwood and a charming town in Sausalito. They normally give you an hour at each place. Muir woods is always damp - take an umbrella and warm clothes. If you get motion sickness, sit in the front seat. The road is windy.
6. Alcatraz : We did not get time to do this but it is worth visiting.
7. Walk on Lombard Street all the way to crookedest street: It is a hilly walk - so wear good shoes. You also get great views of the city from Coit tower and Telegraph hill.
8: Ferry building: very nice charming place with views of the bridge. The shops sell some really good gourmet stuff.
Yerba Buena garden was also very nice.
The hotel receptionist will give you a map and I would say - just walk. You'll love the city and the views.
Tip: Stay away from Tenderloin i.e don't wander off Geary and Market street (esp. at night).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Whether for business or leisure, reserve a stay at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites in San Francisco Fisherman s Wharf. At a top option among San Francisco hotels near Fisherman s Wharf, delight in a locale with easy access to attractions including: Pier 39, Ghirardelli Square, Alcatraz and Bay Cruise Ferries while cable cars nearby provide transportation to Union Square, Chinatown and Moscone Convention Center. Experience the Bay City from the comfort of our San Francisco lodging. Enjoy a complimentary continental breakfast at our downtown San Francisco, California hotel before exploring the area. At day s end, retreat to our San Francisco hotel and unwind in a spacious room appointed with our plush Simple Smart Bedding Collection and complimentary Wi-Fi. Upgrade to our San Francisco suites providing wet bars with microwaves and refrigerators. Complimentary amenities include local phone calls, a business center and a fitness center. Travel San Francisco and book your room at Holiday Inn Express Fisherman s Wharf hotel for unrivaled comfort and value. Check our specials for superb savings on San Francisco, California vacations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Southall Travel, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, IHG, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, HRS, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites San Francisco Fisherman`s Wharf
- Holiday Inn Express San Francisco
- Holiday Inn San Francisco
- San Francisco Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Fishermans Wharf
- Holiday Inn Express Fishermans Wharf