“I was really happy with this hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf
Ranked #44 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel from Feb. 18-20 this year after disembarking from a cruise. As everyone has mentioned - it's at a great location (if I didn't have a heavy suitcase I would happily have walked there from the Pier).It'salso nice to have breakfast included. Yes - a couple of mornings it was hard to find a place and things weren't cleaned as promptly as they should have been but I hope that this is only because it's temporary and that once renovations are over things will be much better. The food selection was there (though I didn't try all of the items) but I suppose that plastic cutlery and paper plates bring the feel of the experience down a bit. Not a huge deal however (at least for us). It was great to start the day after breakfast that we didn't have to travel to! Loved our room on the fourth floor. It was large and clean and we enjoyed looking out on the street - but they also offer courtyard rooms for those who want quiet.The staff at the front desk was always pleasant, helpful and professional and it was wonderful to have the free wifi too. I wish them well as they endure the renovations and I hope to see the new and improved version of this hotel one day if I return to San Francisco. This will definitely be the hotel that I would choose.

Room Tip: If you don't like noise then ask for rooms overlooking the courtyard!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank CameliaFoster
Brainchip, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Hello CameliaFoster,

Thank you so much for staying was well as sharing the thoughts on your experience. We as so glad you had a great stay. We do work hard to provide a great hotel that guests love and I am glad that we were able to do that for you. We look forward to having you back and please feel free to reach me as I would love to offer you a complimentary upgrade upon your return. Until then safe travels and warm regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,652)

Reviewed 25 February 2014

The location is excellent. All the San Fran attractions are within walking distance. The hotel was under renovation so it was messy and noisy during the day. No big deal as we were out with all the tourists. We stayed here instead of other close locations for the breakfast but should have thought better. If your on vacation just go ahead and splurge. The sausages were under cooked, the eggs were tasteless and the room was a crowded mess. Trash cans needed emptying and there was food on the floor. Half the food containers were empty for long periods of time.
The room was fine and the bed comfortable, or we were just exhausted. Hallway was loud and doors slammed often.
Taxi ride to SFO was around $50 for two. The shuttle was $34 but.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jbonk10
Brainchip, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Hello jbonk10

Thanks so much for staying with us as well as posting your thoughts on your stay here. I am sorry for the issues you had with the breakfast during your stay as it is a pop up area as we go through the renovation. That being said I will forward this to our F&B department in order to be sure the refuse is taken care of. I do hope you visit us again when we are finished as it truly is looking great. Until then safe travels and best wishes.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel for three nights in October. The location is great very close to Pier 39 and lots of restaurants. Breakfast is free and there is plenty of choice. The lift to the rooms can be a bit of a challenge during busy times. Be prepared to wait for few minutes. Otherwise great hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Alebraco

Hello Alebraco,

Thank you so much for staying with us as well as posting you thoughts on your stay. It is true we are in a great location. We even have been going through a renovation since you stayed and yep you guessed it the lifts have been worked on as well as a fantastic new lobby and breakfast area. Thank you again for staying and hope to see you again soon at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites

Reviewed 23 February 2014

The Holiday Inn Express was the perfect hotel for our family vacation to San Francisco. It is a great location near Fisherman's Wharf and Chinatown, near a bus stop and cable car stop to all major locations. The hotel is under renovation right now but that did not stop the staff from being helpful and friendly at all times. Our room was clean and quiet, although the window faced the street we could hear no noise at any time. The breakfast buffet was very adequate with eggs, fresh fruit, cereal, pancakes, juice, yogurt and pastries. I think this place has great value for the money and I would recommend it to any families looking for an affordable, convenient place.

Room Tip: We had a room facing North Point St. and it was very quiet at all times.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank IowaMjb

Hello IowaMjb,

Thanks so much for posting your thoughts and for staying with us. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. We do work hard to provide our traveler with the best experiance possible and I am glad we were able to do a bit of that for you. Thank you so much for the recommendation as well as staying with us.

Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Our arrival was efficiently processed by the attentive desk clerk. He made sure we knew what amenities were available, and gave us tourist information and advice. The hotel is within easy walking distance of pier 39 and the waterfront. It is within 1 block of public transit and the staff gave excellent advice on its use. The provided breakfast is the standard for this level hotel with good variety. Staff kept everything well stocked until well past closing time. It is nice not to feel as though you are wished out the door. Halls are wide and well-lit with carpet so plush that heavy roller bags are a little hard to push. The room was very comfortable with plenty of easily accessible plug ins for electronics. There were renovations going on but we heard no noise and the construction dust and dirt were well contained. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in San Francisco.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank SuzanneVS
Brainchip, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Hello SuzanneVS,

Thank you so much for the kind words and for staying with us. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay as we do work hard to provide the best service and I am happy we did a bit of that for you. Thanks again and hope to see you soon at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed here 3 nights 2-14 to 2-17. The location was excellent, the staff was accommodating and beds were comfy. However, the hotel annex across the street needs updating and only one elevator worked. I can't comment on the main building since we weren't fortunate to get a room in that building Maybe it was because we won the room on Priceline is the reason we got the "other building" facing the alley. I don't know. We asked about a refrigerator and a microwave and was shocked to hear our room didn't have one. Since we were traveling with a 7 year old we really needed these two things since he drinks a lot of milk and is very picky about what he eats, too. The front desk helped us out and delivered a portable refrigerator immediately which helped us tremendously and I was very thankful. The first night we showed up late and was really looking forward to a good nights sleep. Besides a noisy air conditioner mission accomplished. On Saturday we spent all day in San Francisco and was looking forward to some well needed rest when we got back to the hotel. We settled in for the night and had to deal with noise in the alley. Once that subsided we were finally able to get some rest only to be awoken by screeching fire alarms at 12:30 A.M. We thought maybe someone opened up the wrong door and it would immediately go off. After about 5 minutes we decided to exit the stairwell in our PJ's into the cold and rain. After about 25 minutes the alarms went off and we figured it was safe to go back in. But now the fire exit's were locked and we had to walk to the street and enter back through the lobby. There wasn't one Holiday Inn representative there to greet us and explain what just happened or if it was even safe to return. That wasn't very encouraging. Now there was a crowd assembled in the lobby looking to return to their rooms and everyone was trying to get into the one working elevator. After about 30 minutes we were able to get back to our room except now I was wide awake and couldn't get back to sleep. Needless to say the next day I was extremely tired, moody and really didn't want to do anything but relax. Vacations shouldn't be stressful but this one was. I have to say I expected more from the Holiday Inn chain. I will be visiting San Fran again but will probably be hesitant about staying at the Holiday Inn unless the reviews from people say things are changing and the update is complete. I think this could be a fantastic hotel in a fantastic location if they would just put forth a little more effort to making their guests feel comfortable and addressing their concerns when a fire drill sends them into the streets.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Brainchip, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Hello Lasvegasgrl,

Thanks for posting your thoughts and sorry for the issues you had at the Holiday Inn. This is however the portal for the Holiday Inn Express & Suites. I do how ever apologize and hope you try us. Feel free to reach out to me and I will be sure to give the best possible room as well as rate do to your problems. Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We booked this hotel as IHG members, not knowing too much about the Fisherman's Wharf area in San Francisco. We are SO glad we picked this one. They are currently under construction, but it didn't interfere with our plans at all and the hotel was really nice - one of the nicest Holiday Inns we've stayed at. The hallways are really nice and clean, the hotel is really big, and our room was really nice, clean and comfortable. The free breakfast was what we expect from Holiday Inns - big, plentiful, and delicious.

The hotel is in a great location, next to everything you could hope for. It's close to Ghirardelli Square, Pier 39, Pier 33 (where Alcatraz tours depart from), and Pier 43, which also has great restaurants and other things to do. It's also right around the corner from rental car places, and a few blocks down from picking up the Market-Powell cable car.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mstrctrlprgm

Hi SuzanneVs,

Thanks so much for staying with us and the kind words. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We do work hard to give you the service you deserve when traveling. I also glad the renovation did not disturb you. I hope to see you soon at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites