“Awesome hotel & only steps to cable car” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Orchard Hotel
Ranked #11 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Westminster, Colorado
“Awesome hotel & only steps to cable car”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2011

This is the second time to stay at The Orchard and the same great, friendly people still work there! From the minute we got out of the rental car the concierge/doorman greeted us and took our luggage to our room so we could return the rental car on time. We received a phone call when the room was ready. Room was on the 8th floor facing Bush Street, quiet, clean, comfortable bed and plenty of pillows, TV reception was okay, but we did not watch TV and listened to music on the DVD player. A relaxing CD is provided to listen to when falling asleep. Mini bar with coffee maker, except coffee maker is set up for one person with a regular and a decaf coffee packet provided (Starbucks are not hard to find!). Nice large desk for laptop, etc. and 2 comfy chairs. Enjoyed having a large bathroom with fluffy towels, wonderful amenities and bathrobes. You can have your bed covers turned down each night if you wish. Never tried the hotel restaurant so I can't comment, although it never looked busy.
Hotel is at a great location, 6th & Powell and the cable car runs up/down Powell, so hotel is just steps to catch a cable car to Union Station or the opposite direction to Fisherman's Wharf. China town is a short walk. San Francisco is a food lover's paradise! Uncle Vito's Italian Restaurant is across the street and everything is good from the pizza, salad to pasta dishes. Sears Fine Food is 2 blocks down on Powell and don't pass up their famous silver dollar pancakes! Also enjoyed eating at E.O. Trading Co. and The Swell is a small place walking distance from the hotel with succulent dishes. Need I say more about In & Out Hamburgers, which is a must at Fisherman's Wharf! Visit the Ferry Building by the water front and taste and see -- go to the Ferry Plaza Seafood Restaurant and have a cup of clam chowder and try the dungeness crab tower with flavors of grapefruit, avocado and grapefruit vinegrette topped with flaky crab meat - oh yes, it is delicious! We walked to the Ferry Building which is a good hike, but took a cab back to The Orchard at $6.50 for quick transportation. The trip to San Francisco was fabulous, 30 minutes from airport and will stay again on the next trip.

2 Thank colorado-okie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Korean first
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2011

This hotel is a gem. Amazing service, lovely rooms, great location, free wireless. I found this on a hotel search for San Francisco and decided to give it a try. I met many other business travelers in the lobby and elevator--we all remarked how wonderful the hotel is. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

Memphis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

Rooms were ready when promised, but not early. The hotel conveniently stored our luggage and delivered the luggage within 10 minutes of our return. Requested 2 rooms close together and received adjoining rooms - WOW! Regularly greeted by the front desk when departing and returning. The concierge / doorman gave us excellent information when we asked.

Both the king and the 2 twins were very clean, cleaned daily and had an afternoon turndown service. The was a desk and chair, well stocked refrigerator (didn't buy anything) with room to store our food, an oversized bathroom with nice accompaniments, an older TV with an adequate set of channels and a working alarm clock.

The location of the hotel was perfect for our travels. We had a seven day muni/cable car pass (City Pass for San Francisco) and the Powell street cable car stopped 100 feet from the hotel entrance. Union Square (shopping, eating, etc.) was 2 blocks away, Chinatown's southern entrance was 4 blocks and the Powell & Market bus & subway station 6 blocks.

I definitely would stay here again and would recommend this hotel to families as well as business travelers.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Hudson Valley NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

My husband and I were in SF for my conference and arrived Monday before noon. We truly appreciated their accommodating our request for early check in and late check out. Stayed in Rm 1009 - not "high end" but excellent for the most part except need for repair of hand towel rack. Our coffee pot and safe were not working and both were replaced/repaired within 5-10 minutes of my reporting the problem. The location is central to everything we needed as far as my conference, general sight seeing, cable cars, tour buses, and restaurants. Staff is friendly and helpful. We requested a "quiet room" and were given one on the 10th floor in the rear of the building; and reasonably priced.

1 Thank JVCNP
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

I recently spent 4 nights at the Orchard hotel. I have been traveling to San Fran for almost a decade and have always stayed at the Maderin Oriental. But after the last several years I had noticed a drastic decline in the level of service at the Manderin, so I decided to try the Orchard. What a great change... I wish I had done it sooner.
The reception and service were excellent. The room was spacious and extremely comfortable (I had a larger room with king bed.... there are apparently two sizes of 'regular' rooms, and I would suggest the larger). And the location could not be beat, with easy access to nob hill, union square, chinatown, and many others. Even the immediate surrounding of the hotel was perfect, with great restaurants and bars within feet of the place. The hotel bar was nice, low key, and rarely crowded at all.... with friendly bartenders eager to engage. The overall value of the room was unbeatable for San Fran.

There was one rather minor, but annoying, 'con'..... the food. Particularly breakfast. They provide a continental breakfast buffet which was seriously lacking. Stale sliced bread, bland bagels, some limited fruit, and maybe some muffins and scones. It's what you'd expect from one of those horrible Best Western 'free' breakfast, not a nice boutique hotel in San Fran. And while my breakfast was included as part of a promotional deal, I overheard another table complaining that they were charged $14 per person for this "buffet". The hotel was even going to charge me for a coffee only (instead they just made my included breakfast). It's those type of meaningless annoying charges things that really turn me off (just raise your room rates by $3/night and give me the coffee for free... it's a huge appearance plus). So breakfast was a disappointment... and I'm not even a big breakfast eater!

That being said, I will still return with pleasure to the Orchard Hotel. I look forward to returning in fact. It is a truly exceptional hotel in a great location. I hope they fix the breakfast, which would require little effort. But even if they don't its an easy to walk to one of many nearby restaurants and coffee places open in the morning, so that one failure will not keep me from returning. It's a great hotel with all pluses and just that one 'con'.

1 Thank tpool
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

Well located, right at Bush & Powell cable car, but the room was quiet with a lovely comfy big bed. The first night the rumble of the cable car was a bit distracting, but after that it was just fun. NO street noise! The staff and concierge were very very friendly and helpful. I got a super cheap price, by shopping around first on Kayak.com. I called and asked the hotel whether they could meet that price, which they did gladly. I later called and arranged to come a night earlier. Friday nights should have been more expensive, but they still offered the bargain rate. Great room service/restaurant, but also a nice little diner, Roxanne's, right next door and a number of other places close by. An easy walk to BART, Union Square, Chinatown, and a little farther but still easily walkable to North Beach.

1 Thank kgia
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

We stayed in the King suite, it was like having an apartment right on Union Square! The furnishings were all very nice, the bed was very comfortable and it was quiet! The only down side was that the restaurant was not good, but that was easily remedied since we were in San Francisco and you can't trip and fall without landing in a gourmet restaurant. I highly recommend staying at The Orchard, the staff were all very friendly and helpful.

• 4 of 5 bubbles