“Return visit to my go-to hotel”
Review of The Orchard Hotel

The Orchard Hotel
Ranked #12 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles
“Return visit to my go-to hotel”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I've stayed at the Orchard a number of times in recent years. For consistency, value, cleanliness and quality staff this property is hard to beat. If you are drawn to small hotels, this is the place to go. As I said in a review I posted several years ago, someone's keeping a close eye on this hotel. The GM and his staff are very responsive.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Collins C, Front Office Manager at The Orchard Hotel, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Thank you for the loyalty of staying with us. We loved repeated guests. The more you visit, the better we get to know you and what you like. We have guests who frequently return to us time and time again. They soon become part of our family, which when you are traveling, you long for the feeling of “HOME”. It is our # 1 goal to provide every guest a consistent and exceptional experience, from service to amenities and product. We value and respond to guest’s feedback very seriously. We truly believed that all these reviews have given us value information on the guests perspective and to that, we are grateful. Once again, we appreciate and value your patronage. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 February 2014

This hotel was as good as the reviews all say. Very central, clean, well fitted out, quiet, friendly staff. Definitely worth staying here. Little more needs saying and now I am writing stuff to make up tripadvisor's stupid 200 character requirement.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for the great review. We really appreciate your time and effort to write and meet TripAdvisor requirement to have your words posted. It is always nice to hear we are meeting and possibly exceeding our guests’ expectations. Can’t thank you enough for the high recommendation and glad to hear that you have concluded your stay indeed value worth. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon in future.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My wife and I really loved the Orchard Hotel. It was central to everything, and we were able to walk or take a trolley all over town on our vacation. It was large enough to have a decent restaurant and good amenities, but small enough to give a more boutique experience. Great, helpful staff. Would definitely return in the future. I know it's marketed as environmentally friendly, but I didn't feel like that took anything away from the experience or the hotel in general if you're picturing stark efficiency.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the great review. As you mentioned the location is pretty stellar with easy access to all means of activities and sightseeing. The Cable car is just round the corner from the doors, and plenty nice and decent restaurants are only minutes of walks from hotel. Thank you for the kind words about the staffs. We really appreciate your recognition of our efforts being the green boutique hotel. Our goal is to provide an environmentally friendly and healthier atmosphere. We are happy to hear that you will definitely come back. We Look forward to seeing you again very soon in future.
Greer, South Carolina
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We were pleasantly surprised how clean and how convenient this hotel was located. As it is not one of the big chain properties, we found our check in to be prompt. The use of our names was used quite often. The staff could not do enough to make our trip pleasant. Our doorman even got us on a half-day city tour after the one I had booked was cancelled as we were the only ones booked with that particular tour operator. The cable car is just steps away from the hotel. Nob is is a short climb away. Chinatown is just a few short blocks away. Breakfast at the hotel, despite being pricey (since we come from an area where prices are still relatively inexpensive) was very good. The food was prepared well and the service was prompt. Our room was clean and the bathroom was large and adequate. My only complaint, if one can call it a complaint, is that I felt the mattress was too soft. We had an early checkout - 4:30a.m. and after notifying the desk the evening before, our bill was ready after we stepped off the elevator. This is good to know as the charges are all published after midnight, so one can not take care of their bill until checkout. They were kind enough to even print out our boarding passes for us! I would strongly recommend this boutique hotel to anyone who plans on visiting SF.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that does not face either Bush as even though we were on the 7th floor, you could...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the kind review regarding our hotel and staff. We have received so many compliments specifically pointing out the service that our employees give to our guest. Our staffs are just outstanding! Not only are they great at doing the daily business, but are always willing to go an extra step to help our guest as much as they possibly could manage. We are pleased that you have liked the hotel location; and also felt the room is very clean and have lived to your expectations. Glad to hear that that you have tried and enjoyed the food and services at the Daffodils restaurant. We appreciate very much of your high recommendations and sincerely hope to see you again soon.
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The Orchard is a very nice hotel and I'd genuinely like to rate it higher. I just can't given the limitations it currently has compared to the other hotels I've stayed at.
The Good:
Location - great location near Union Square, but not too close so the noise doesn't overpower you.
Reservations - The reservations folks were top notch
Most Staff - the doorman when I arrived was incredible, and the desk staff generally were helpful
Bathroom - the bathrooms were large and well maintained
Shower - the showers had plenty of hot water and good water pressure. I needed this after climbing up and down the hills. San Francisco hills are no joke.
Room was Quiet - did not hear our neighbors or much noise from the street
Room appointment. I found the furnishings to be nice and the comfort level of the room to be pleasant.

The Bad:
Internet, while free, was wonky. Often had trouble signing on, and when on it was terribly slow. Skype was out of the question. I could barely check my email on some days. I ended up using the hotspot on my phone.
No microwave and with no food in this place a microwave would have saved the day.
Toilet seat slid all over the place.
The "restaurant" did not have food - the only thing they had were a couple questionable happy hour offerings if you bought some drinks and the drinks were not cheap. Thankfully the bartender showed us the prices of the drinks and encouraged us to go down the road. The was a bit frustrating since we really wanted to just sit down, eat, and go back to the room after being out all day, but at least we didn't have the experience I just read some other travelers had.
My "guest robe" was dirty. I typically don't use them and don't know why I thought to try one on this time, but when I found it to be unclean. It appears to have just been re-wrapped instead of laundered.
Other reviewers found the rooms spacious. I do not see this. The size did not bother me, but I would not call the rooms spacious.
Lack of common area, lounge space.

Overall, the stay was nice, but without food service, room service (even a microwave), internet that is not reliable, and a couple staff members that did not do their part the stay did not live up to expectations for a top 10 hotel. Frankly, I am surprised by the rating given the number of hotels that do not have these deficits.

Room Tip: Higher is better to avoid street noise.
4 Thank robert s
Collins C, Front Office Manager at The Orchard Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
We really appreciate you taking the time to write us detailed review of your recent stay at our hotel. While we are happy to hear of your favorable comments about the hotel location, helpful and friendly hotel Front Staffs, quiet and well-appointed guest room. However, your overall experience was disappointing due to deficiencies in other areas during your stay. We are so sorry about the internet connection. Please accept our sincere apology for the inconveniences which may have caused you. To better serve our guests, we have already augmented the bandwidth again and boost the downloading to a much higher and faster speed per second. We truly believed that this will be vast improvement of our services. Please rest assured, we have also taken your other comments very seriously to heart and will rectify all the issue with concerned department and personnel for the attentions and improvements. We value guests’ feedback, positive and negative, allows us to improve our service and offerings to not only meet but exceed our guests’ expectation. Your detailed review has given us value information on the guests perspective and to that, we are grateful. We sincerely hope that this will be detour your choice to return to stay with us again. Next time when you are in town, please contact me directly in making your room reservation. I will personally assure you of a pleasant and enjoyable stay with us. Look forward to seeing you again soon.
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We liked our room. It was as quiet as could be expected, I guess. You could still hear the street noise even on the top floor. We heard nobody inside the hotel though which was very nice. The beds were comfortable, but small. Not sure how these were called "over-sized". The room was kept clean, but it was definitely worn and not what I expected from a "Top 10" hotel. The shower was hot and the water pressure good - very important after a day climbing up and down the city's hills. The toilet seat slid all over though. I liked the larger pump bottles of shampoo and conditioner vs those little sample ones that never have enough in them.
The Internet was slow and intermittent. This was a real pain.
The restaurant does not have a menu for food. I don't get this. Top 10 restaurant with no food? You can have reheated "happy hour" snacks if you buy over-priced drinks though.
The front desk staff and bellman when we arrived were great. Too bad they could not have stayed all weekend. The ones who were there on the weekend looked and acted like they would have rather been anyplace else. The bellman didn't even bother to leave his reading or whatever he was doing to help open the door as we were struggling though with our bags from shopping. The man at the desk never looked up even once. These 2 people almost made me move the rating to a 2. This lack of courtesy is just too much and nowhere near a 3 star hotel standard let alone anything above it. It is a shame since the weekday folks were so over-the-top nice and helpful. In fact, it is because of them that I could not give a lower rating. They were just too nice.
There was hair in the guest robe. Gross.
Location could not be much better.
Sadly, the poor outweigh the good this time and I just can't see choosing this hotel over the other choices when we come back through.

2 Thank Maria D
Collins C, Front Office Manager at The Orchard Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
We appreciate very much your comments of your recent stay at our hotel. While we are happy to hear that you have enjoyed the convenient location; and liked our quiet and well appointed guest room. However, your overall experience was disappointing due to deficiencies in other areas during your stay. We are so sorry to hear that the WIFI did not meet with your needs during your stay. To better serve our guests, we have already worked out with the internet provider to increase our bandwidth and the downloading speed to 5 megabytes per second. We truly believed this will be a vast improvement of our services to the guest. Thank you for the feedback regarding the staffs worked on the weekend. In no way this represent the level of service we aim to provide for our guest. We strive to maintain and provide our guest the best and consistent service possible. We want to assure you that your comments have been addressed to the concerned personnel and department for the immediate attentions and improvements. We regret to read you may not choose to come back. We sincerely hope that you could consider giving us an opportunity to regain your faith to the Orchard Hotel. Please contact me directly next time while you are in town in making your room reservation. I will personally assure you of a pleasant and enjoyable stay with us. Once again, we value your patronage and comments. Look forward to seeing you again very soon in future.
Regards,
Alhambra, California
Reviewed 14 February 2014

The Orchard Hotel in San Francisco is a great little hotel. It is quite, clean and the rooms are very accommodating especially the large bathroom and guest robes that they provide. It is near Union Square (where you can find many shops and department stores), China Town and not to far from Little Italy and the famous Fishermen's Warf.

Plenty of restaurants in the area especially Roxanne's on the corner of Powell and Bush. And it is close enough to get to from SFA by the Metro, however, it is a little walk up hill but you can take in all the sights on the way up.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daniel C
Collins C, Front Office Manager at The Orchard Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
We appreciate the comments of your recent stay with us. We are thrilled to hear you have enjoyed our comfy rooms, considering our rooms are one of the most important elements of the hotel. Glad that you felt the room has lived up to your expectations. Can’t help but agree with you on our location. The shopping, the restaurants, the sightseeing… The only decision you really have to made is which direction to go out our front doors? Thank you again for the review. We look forward to having the opportunity to see you again soon.