“Making Things Right”

GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Making Things Right”
Reviewed 2 March 2011

In mid February, I made a quick 3 day business trip to San Francisco. I arrived very late in the evening and was told there had been an "incident' and that my room was no longer available. As you might imagine, this was distressing news for a weary traveler.

Although, I never learned exactly what happened with the room, I can say that the people at the Orchard Hotel most definitely made things right. In my opinion, they went above and beyond to ensure that I was well cared for even as I was being temporarily relocated to another hotel.

All too often, hotels treat business travelers as just another person passing through, but those at the Orchard treated me as if they wanted my business now as well as in the future. I very much appreciate the fact that they turned what could have been a terrible stay into what was one of my best experiences in San Francisco.

In addition to kind and professional people, the hotel itself is gorgeous!
Dr. Funk

Stayed February 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 February 2011

No complaints. Friendly, quiet, clean and efficient. Great location but a steep walk from Union Square. Good sized room for couple and baby.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 February 2011

I am writing to offer a second opinion about Hotel Orchard after my earlier
review of Sept. 28. (Sorry for the belated posting but Trip Advisor only allows
you to review the same hotel after a certain time has passed.)

While I was generally happy with my Hotel Orchard stay in September, I wrote
that I was disappointed in the dingy quality of the furniture in my room, which was chipped
and banged up.

Shortly afer my review was posted I was contacted by Damien Keller, the hotel's
director of sales and marketing. Damien apologized for the room I was given and
offered a special rate for my next trip to San Francisco, which I accepted since
I was heading back in November. Not only did I get a nice rate for my November
stay but I was also given a mini-suite, which was terrific and much appreciated
for this hectic business trip.

In an era when most American businesses seem to have little concern--and often
no clue---about customer service (e.g., Dell Computers, AT&T), I was hugely impressed
with the kind and professional response of Damien, my upgraded room, and the way
everything was handled by the hotel staff.

Will I stay at Hotel Orchard for my next business trip to San Francisco? You bet
I will. A great hotel in a terrific location and management that really goes
the extra mile to earn their customer's loyalty gets my enthusiastic vote.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 February 2011

Small meeting room that is not catered for business meetings.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Melbourne
Reviewed 15 February 2011

Stayed for 3 nights. Fantastic location near Union Square, on the cable car line and short walk to Chinatown. Clean room, comfy bed, helpful staff. Didn't try the restaurant/breakfast.

• Stayed February 2011
Reviewed 15 February 2011

The staff is excellent starting with the doorman/conceirge to the front desk. This is a small hotel that wants your repeat business. The rooms are large and those facing Bush have excellent natural light. For tourists, you are on the Powell trolley line and two blocks to China town. Business travelers are 6 blocks to the financial district - all downhill!

• Stayed February 2011
Denver, CO
Reviewed 14 February 2011

I stayed at the Orchard during a business trip and was greeted by professional staff. I valeted my rental car through the hotel, but there are cheaper garages in the area if you'd like to walk with your luggage. The hotel is more of a boutique property, which suited me fine. The location is right on the trolley line and blocks from most of the convention centers, Union Square and restaurants. My only disappointment were the rooms themselves. They are very comfortable and quite spacious, but the decor is a little too dated for the hotel (which is only 10 years old). They are promoting themselves as a LEED-certified hotel (which is why I chose it), but my room did not have the automatic control system that they touted on the website. Overall, my stay was good.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business