“Awesome Old Classic Hotel”

The Pickwick Hotel San Francisco
Ranked #114 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Loved my stay here. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean. And I loved the little extra touches. Like chocolates on my bed, Keurig coffee makers, and free wifi. Even though the rooms were little small, they were quite nice and quaint. Plus great location for Union Square, and all kinds of city transportation. Only drawback, no parking. If I am ever back to San Francisco, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bridgette K
Write a ReviewReviews (1,407)

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed during Labour day Weekend - it was very busy but the hotel was clean, spacious and very fresh. Great location too, close to trains and buses ect. Staff were friendly. My only negative is they charged us $80 a night for one night parking - but we did not have a choice due to Labour day weekend.

Room Tip: Do not use the hotel parking - it was VERY expensive - they charged us $80 for one night! OUCH!!! We...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank drivenunder
Reviewed 14 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
1  Thank Anne G
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Cute little hotel, small but nice rooms and ideal location. Literally a few minutes walk from Powell Street train station. Right next to a shopping centre, 2 streets away from Dotties (great for breakfast!), and the Powell Street tram way and bus stops are just 2 minutes away.

Reception staff were friendly and helpful and the house keeping always did a good job of making up our room.

For what we needed it was ideal!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sarahracheI
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I am actually still at the hotel. The room is small but very neat and pretty darn cute! The service has been wonderful! The maid staff is very friendly, especially Marie who is taking care of our room, and the front desk has been very helpful and kind. The bellhop brought all of our super heavy bags up to the room with a smile. Overall all of the people we've encountered have been great!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Stayed here for the proximity to the Moscone, which is a short walk away. The overall hotel is OK. It's an older property that was refurbished which was enticing when I booked. It looks like a lot of paint and tile was thrown up, but it wasn't really done well.

The first room I checked into smelled like a junior-high boys locker room.

Pros:
Location, restaurant in the lobby is good, price

Cons:
The wifi was so bad that it was basically useless. You have to log into the network anytime your system goes to sleep, rather than staying logged-in for 24 hrs as most properties do. Also, I was constantly being thrown off of the network. The front desk provided no sort of solution.

The walls between rooms have no sound barrier. I heard the guy in the next room take a conference call and could hear him and the people he was talking to on the speaker phone as if I was in the room. The same was true of the middle-aged couple on the other side. He was upset that they didn't leave more coffee in the room. She said it wasn't an issue because Starbucks was nearby. Good times.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I was searching for a hotel that was well kept, friendly and close to everything well I found it in this hotel. Lisa was working the front desk that day and she went above and beyond for us, I had a rough day and right away she made me feel welcome and gave me an upgrade wow! I didn't even have to ask for it. Of course your in the heart of the city, you're going to have some noise but our room was clean and wonderful. I read some reviews before mine that said the room smelled bad I didn't experience that, and if your room smells just tell them I'm sure they would have no problem changing it for you they are extremely accommodating. Remember this hotel is very old, but it's also very beautiful and charming. When we checked out Randy helped us and he was also very nice, fast and efficient. Not everything was perfect, the heating and cooling system was old and the parking lot downstairs was a little scary but overall we were very pleased with our choice to stay at this very Franciscan hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple