“Good place for lunch in the mall”
Review of Cupola Pizzeria - CLOSED

Cupola Pizzeria
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: SoMa
Cross street: btwn 4th & 5th
Transit: Bart and Muni are convenient ways to travel to the Westfield San Francisco Center. There is an entryway directly into the center from within the Powell Street station.
Description: Cupola Pizzeria a Neapolitan style pizzeria. Serving authentic Italian cuisine with hand made pastas, house prepared desserts. We are VPN certified. We offer a variety of Italian and domestic wines. Located at the Westfield San Francisco.
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Visiting San Francisco on business and decided to pick up a few gifts to take back home so stopped in here for quick bite in this restaurant in the mall. I chose a seat at the bar and received great service and good recommendations from the bartender. A lite lunch of bruschetta and artichoke soup was tasty, eye appealing and surprisingly filling. Nice selection of wines by the glass. If you are shopping, great place for a quick bite with friendly bartender. Excellent cappuccino too!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

OMG this place completely changed what I thought I liked in a pizza and they even made me love their Spumoni! Here is what you need to know to understand this comment. I am a traditionalist when it comes to pizza, who expects red sauce and cheese on my pizza. Occasionally I will try another sauce or wild toppings but I expect cheese. The other thing to know is I have tried Spumoni in a dozen places, and found it boring, until Cupola changed my mind.

My husband, who makes his own pizza dough, is always in it for the crust and of course the meat. He talks me into trying this pizza called the Carne, which has a base of sweet caramelized onions and is topped with house made sausage and a few other delicious meats, no sauce and no cheese. Wow it was fantastic!

We requested the table right by the open kitchen. Marc Tennison is the chef and we were lucky enough that he was cooking that night. The Carne was every bit as delicious this time as the first time 2 years ago, but we had the added bonus of getting to watch Marc and the staff in action. What a seamless, efficient and totally fun crew to watch. It was obvious that they love working together which is part of what makes a great restaurant. In addition we were lucky enough to have Sarah Fay as our server. Sarah was not only charming in a very real person sort of way, but most importantly she knew her wines. Since I needed help picking a Cabernet similar to what I normally drink this was very helpful.

On to the Spumoni, it was creamy and topped with a Claret sauce and crunchy candied pistachios and every bite was superb. In fact everything was so good we went back a second night to try a different pizza and eat the Spumoni again.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

The Good
Funghi Pizza
arrabiata Pizza: add more red flakes for an extra kick
Dome salad
Service with a smile
Convenient location
All you can eat for $32
All you can drink for $16

The Bad
Pulled mozzarella: impossible to cut even with a knife
charred calamari: too chewy

Any place that has an all you can eat on the menu gets a gold star in my book. Although I usually don't eat that much it's nice to know I can go all out for $32. Even better they offer you an all you can drink option for $16. We didn't partake on the gluttony this particular night but boy do I see this in my future!

Reviewed 7 March 2014

We were on vacation and dined at Cupola on March 5. When we made the reservations on Open Table we had NO idea this was located in a mall. If we had known, we wouldn't have gone there. Not sure if we missed that on the website but I don't like to eat a mall -- we thought it was at some off the beaten path in Little Italy etc.

Happy hour was going on while we were there but unfortunately, the bar was full. We asked if we could still have the $5 wine (we had gone in earlier and had wine and then come back for our dinner reservation) and half price margherita pizza. She told us no, that we had to eat at the bar. There wasn't any room at the bar of anywhere near. So I felt it was unfair for them not to honor our request.

The other issue I had was that the pizza I ordered was just ok. My friend had pasta and said it was pretty good. When the waitress took our bills she asked if we needed change. This is a huge pet peeve for me. I think it's rude (in my case) to assume you would get a $10 tip for a $15 pizza (I just had ice water to drink so bill was $16) Why would you assume you would keep my change?

I'd take a pass on this. I think if you really want great Italian food in San Francisco then there are better places in Little Italy to eat. If you happen to be at Westfield and want an Italian dinner and don't care that it's at a mall-then it would be fine.

Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

We tried this place on vacation in san Francisco . What a mistake. The pizzas don't come with cheese and if you order it they just dollop it on in blobs, one in our party had the Italian fried chicken. Basically a half chicken cut up and deep fried. He felt sick all evening after and the waitress recommended it. The service was good and waitress was nice on the up side. We left feeling badly ripped off and sick. We've never had Italian like this anywhere in the world before.

1  Thank bjotraveller