“Not Upscale”

Ranked #90 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Atlanta, Georgia
“Not Upscale”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

If you are looking for just a clean place to crash, not bad for the money. However, not worthy of an upscale rating. Check in service very friendly. Had to call for non- working remote and received prompt service. I did not visit pool area or gym, but they looked well maintained. Room was clean, and beds comfortable, but by no means upscale, the only thing upscale was the wall mounted flat screen TV, otherwise, dark room with no warmth or charm, comparable to lower end chains. Cynderblock walls with stucco, no vaniety, no safe, no drapes, indoor/outdoor carpet. I would actually classify it as more of a motel than a hotel because of the exposed outside entry. As a female business traveler, I would have been uncomfortable if my husband was not with me. Unexpected charge of $25.00 per night for parking. Offered complimentary breakfast at adjoining cafe.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karen G
Dear Guest:

Thank you for giving us your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that our hotel did not meet your standards. Your comments are valuable to us for it gives us a chance to make adjustments where necessary.

With warm regards,
Hotel Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

Would never stay here again, ended up checking out early. First off there is no air conditioning, I realise a lot of SF doesn't have A/C but I've never heard of a hotel not having it! The room was very stuffy so we had to open the window in order to get any type of breeze or fresh air, well the noise from the road right outside was so bad that having a window open meant no sleep for us. The internet was horrible, we could barely get it to work and the times it actually did (about 3 minutes at a time), the connection was slower than dial up. The pillows were all feather pillows which meant no support for our necks, and the bedding was an old Kimpton hotel duvet!? The walls are very thin and we could hear the neighbour's TV all night, the bathroom light won't stay on for longer than I think 5-7 minutes so when I was in the shower all of a sudden the bathroom light went out and it was pitch black (right as I was shaving my legs!)... The check in time for this hotel isn't until 4pm which is a bit inconvenient, I arrived at 2:30 and they would not let me check in early. The elevator is the slowest elevator I have ever experienced. All in all this hotel is a disaster, beware before you book it, it may seem like a good deal but if you're used to decent hotels you will be disappointed at this one.

Room Tip: If you do decided to stay here, I would suggest asking for a room that is not by the road.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Boleynlover
Dear Guest:

Please accept my sincere apologies if we were not able to meet your standards. I have shared your comments with the various departments so we can work on things that we are able to adjust and change. Thank you for giving us your feedback. It is through comments such as yours that we are able to see where we can improve on.

Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

My wife and I were there mid April for ten days. There was some late night noise but was quickly attended to by staff when we told the front desk. Room doors are controlled by card lock so is very safe. The hotel is a recently renovated older hotel so the rooms are clean and suitable and ours (247) if it of any consideration, was wheelchair accessable. The hotel is a distance fron the commercial area so it is safe to walk at night up to Polk St for dinner. Its is also centralized with buses to any direction, and is 6 blocks from the waterfront but if you are not fit to walk up and down hills I suggest the buses. Good value

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
east midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

Family road trip starting in San francisco. We stayed in the family suite, had 1 king and 2 queen beds, large corner sofa , writing desk. It was a very large room , comfortable , 2 large screen tv's , ipod docs and free wifi so the kids were happy. The bathroom wasn't large but enough for the 5 of us, yes no vanity but not a problem. Lots of wardrobes if you wanted to stay for awhile. The room was clean and well presented. The beds were comfortable and bedding was good. Our room backed onto the elavator , my wife is a light sleeper but wasn't disturbed by any noise. Staff were polite and helpful , came up right away when I couldn't get the safe to work. The kids used the pool and loved it , great to relax after a day sightseeing and as it was heated they enjoyed swimming in the rain. Gym looked good but we didn't use it. I did use the parking and yes it was $25 but this is san francisco and I was charged $32 for half a day parking in the city. Good location , we used the restaurant for dinner and breakfast , stay were polite abd helpful too. Yes it looks basic but the food and the service was good. Breakfast was fine for us too, wasn't busy for us. We stayed 2 nights and would stay there again. I did read the reviews before I booked, didnt experience any of the issues that others have , although the rooms are abit dimm! For us it was good value, getting an equivalent suite or 2 rooms elsewhere would have been twice or 3 times the price. We have been to san francisco a couple of times before and this hotel compares well with the other places we have stayed.

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank footycoach
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012 via mobile

We stayed there in early April. I was immediately disappointed when we arrived. The staff was nice but the room left much to be desired. Bare bones decor, no vanity in the bathroom and noisy all the time. I too was concerned with the safety we had someone knocking on our door at 3 am I immediately had my boyfriend get up and check the door to make sure we had locked and set the security bar because as many other guests have stated any one can just walk in from the outside. The elevators are gross and super slow. My main problem with this hotel is that it is not as advertised if you book an upscale boutique hotel you should not end up at a barely remodeled motel. You will be disappointed. Continental Breakfast was good though and I received good service there.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Martrip2012
norwich
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

\if you want a good sleep try elsewhere the televison is on the adjacent wall to next room so people who are deaf or like lod music disturb everuone else especially until 4 in morning suggest go elsewhere

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

No more easter egg hunts with a teenager, so we decided to drive up the coast and spend 4 days in San Francisco. Received a great deal @ 50% off for a 3 night stay. We checked in and noticed it was a king size bed when we reserved 2 queens. Although they were sold out for the night, they moved us the next day while we were out and about. The king size bedroom felt small, but was clean and comfortable. Becareful what you asked for....lol, when they moved us to the other room with queen beds, we were given a jr. suite. The room was so big you could do cart wheels. We just laughed and felt like we went from this small room to a room they didn't know how to fill the space. Staff was very friendly and helped us out when needed.
Continental breakfast was really nice. It was located in the cafe downstairs with bagels, bread, dry cereal and juices.
Understand up front there is a $25 per day charge for your car to park and space is not guaranteed. Pay for it and use mass transit. Much easier and less expensive overall. Trust me.
Never used the pool, although it looked really nice and could be used well in the summer months.
Couple of corks, no space in the bathroom to put personal items. Hotel has 2 different elevators to get to different levels of the hotel. Thin walls so you hear neighbors upstairs very well.
Tip for hotel - put small lights in closet to see items. The rooms are dim and its hard to see at night even with the modern lights.

Room Tip: Room on 5th floor with street view. You can open your window feeling safe and get fresh air. All roo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jvkforever
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share with us how your stay was at the da Vinci Villa. We are so pleased to hear that you had a great time during your stay. We hope to welcome you back at the hotel in the near future.