“A maze, a bit off target.”
Review of da Vinci Villa

da Vinci Villa
Ranked #90 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Oslo, Norway
“A maze, a bit off target.”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The hotel was clean, nice and in SF.
But it stops there.
The rooms are laid out in a maze, its hard to find the various rooms, stairs and elevators are not placed at any sensible level.
And then its the naighbourhood. Its a bit off. Not to may restaurants or bars sourounding the hotel. You have to travel some blocks to get to any sensible food/drink action.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing off the main street and off the pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Einar Alfred Ve... H
Yasar C, Manager at da Vinci Villa, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Einaravh,

Thank you for taking the time to review da Vinci Villa Hotel. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. However, there are many restaurants and bars in walking distance around our hotel. Some of our guests also mentioned that "We have a great location which is close to Tourist Attractions, restaurants and bars."

If you ever come back to San Francisco, I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please call me at 415 529 2612 or email me mkobak@davincivilla.com.

We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

Best regards,
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Monroe, Washington
Reviewed 30 May 2014

It is evident that the da Vinci Villa Hotel in San Francisco has invested in renovations and while it is a comfortable hotel some of its age is revealed through frayed seams in the hallway carpet and elevators that are slower and creakier than one would find in a Soviet era apartment elevator in Russia. The rooms are clean and comfortable however the blinds of the sliding windows allow the morning sunlight to invade the room.

They offer a heated pool that for my taste was a little bit too heated, not particularly refreshing, as I like after spending the day walking around the city. The pool area is very nice with comfortable new deck furniture.

During our five days, the advertised vending machine was out of service and a second ice machine was not made known to us until we called to inform them that the first ice machine was not working. One of the antiquated elevators was out of service for about 24 hours.

They offer a complimentary continental breakfast, which is nice in a room that will soon become a full service restaurant.

The da Vinci Villa is one of a few hotels that are mixed in among a residential area. From the hotel it is an easy ten or 12 minute walk to Fisherman’s Warf but other than that it is not within walking distance of any restaurants or shopping areas save a corner convenience mart. Public transportation is available and adequate to get anywhere in the city.

The staff was very kind and somewhat helpful although it seemed at times as if the right hand wasn’t sure what the left hand was doing. We were told of the aforementioned ice machine on the third floor but not about the one of the fifth floor and the signage is vague. We were informed that one city tour bus was a better value than another only to find that the first tour company had raised their rates unbeknownst to the counter employee.

I may not sound like I am very high on the da Vinci Villa but I really did enjoy our stay. I believe that they are still reestablishing themselves and I expect improvement to be forthcoming. The difficulty for me was that it seemed as though they presented themselves as having a higher level of product and service than they did and they were priced accordingly. San Francisco is an expensive city, I get that but I am confident that better accommodation values can easily be found.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve W
Yasar C, Manager at da Vinci Villa, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Steve W,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at da Vinci Villa Hotel. I am most grateful to you for taking the time to outline the shortcomings in your experience, as it is by means of such constructive feedback that we are able to improve the standards of service we offer our guests here at da Vinci Villa Hotel. I did want to let you know we are still investing on our hotel to make da Vinci Villa Home-Away-From-Home for our guests.

Please accept our apologies that we did not meet your expectation and know that I will be reviewing your experience with the appropriate staff members to ensure they are aware of these shortcomings.

I hope your recent experience will not deter you from considering da Vinci Villa Hotel on a return visit to San Francisco and I would be most grateful for any opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel. Please contact me directly to book your next stay and I will personally supervise your booking arrangements and ensure extra special attention is given to you.

New Plymouth, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This is an older hotel, showing a bit of wear but clean and well looked after. Beds are comfortable, free breakfast is a bonus...BUT get a room away from the road. the hotel is on an intersection and even though our room is on the side road the noise funnels up and it is loud!!! Trucks seem to go all night but traffics starts about 5am, lots of revving, horns and braking, I wouldn't come back myself but aI do live in a very quiet area. If you are coming ask for a room at the back of the hotel off the road.
good location. Bus stops right outside, Polk St restaurants only a 5minute walk way, as is the cable car, you can comfortably walk to the harbour as well.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel, off the road would be much quieter
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Yasar C, Manager at da Vinci Villa, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Neetis-nz,

Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback. We apologize that we failed to meet your expectations. Your observations will be shared with our management team to ensure we improve the experience of all our guests. We hope you will provide us with another opportunity to show you true da Vinci Villa Hotel.

Novato, California
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Great beds! Outdoor pool. Perfect central location for a visit and exploration of San Francisco. Walking distance to ghirardelli square, the wharf, the marina, chestnut street, 10-15 minute cab to mission, castro, union square, haight, sunset district, downtown, embarcadaro, golden gate bridge & Presidio.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank sazeiter
Dear sazeiter,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review of your stay with us. I am thrilled to know how much you enjoyed your stay with us - this is just what we love to hear! I am glad you enjoyed our beds and heated outdoor pool.

We hope to have you at the da Vinci Villa in near future.

Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night and there were 7 of us. Our room was huge with 2 queens, a king and a pull out couch and two flat screens. Very nice room, updated and clean. We did have to call to have a refrigerator brought up as well as extra towels and coffee. Pool was great too. This place has on site laundry, free breakfast, cafe. Close to wharf, bus line. Parking was $30 a night which I found to be a lot! Cost was $336 total for 6 adults, great deal. I would stay here again!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Dana P,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at da Vinci Villa Hotel. I am glad you chose to stay with us on your recent trip to San Francisco. It is great to know that you enjoyed our de Familia Suit and its settings.

We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel based in the reviews here and Expedia. The deluxe room was $250 USD and very disappointing. There is no elevator at street level so you have to drag your bags up stairs, the elevator to the room is very slow and the room was small. It was clean but there is no AC and the climate control seemed to be useless. There were kids partying until after 4am. Closing the windows did nothing to help the noise. Although the area is safe, there's no restaurants close and the hotel had no room service. Absolute waste of money.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Ellah86
Dear Ellah86,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at da Vinci Villa Hotel. Although I am deeply concerned to learn that we fell way short of expectations during your stay, I very much appreciate your valuable feedback. There is one thing worse than hearing all that went wrong and that is not knowing what went wrong, as it is only in this way that we are able to improve upon our shortcomings.

Please know that I will address all of these shortcomings with our team, and working with them to ensure that we prevent them from occurring in the future. Our collective goal is always to provide our guests with service excellence from the moment they step out of their car to the moment they depart.

It my sincere hope that you will return so we can provide you with the exceptional experience that our guests have come to expect from us. I would ask that should you consider returning to da Vinci Villa Hotel, please contact me directly so I may personally oversee your reservation.

Warm Regards,
Breckenridge, Colorado
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This place was like a little private oasis in San Francisco. The rooms were clean and comfy. Staff was always helpful and pleasant. Breakfast was good with enough to not need to go out. The location was excellent with a bus stop very close and easy to get to any destination. Fisherman's Wharf and Chinatown just minutes away. The pool area was excellent. Very nice plenty of sun and the water was a great relief from the days heat. I will say at first arrival I was not sure what to expect from the outside. But once we were in it was a pleasant surprise to see what a great spot we had found. If we ever return we will stay here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Matthew M,

Thank you for taking the time to review da Vinci Villa Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you consider us an oasis in San Francisco. What truly means the most to me is knowing that the service you received from our team members was excellent. I will be sure to share your feedback with them, as I know it will mean a great deal to them.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.