“Good Downtown Location”

Ranked #63 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good Downtown Location”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Stayed here for one night. Price at 300 was higher then paid in past for Courtyards but its SF. Great location close to everything. Clean throughout. Checkin was good and fast. Room was nice, clean and comfortable. Starbucks on site with good selection of bfast stuff. I would recommend but try to book earlier to pay less of a premium.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Debbie B, General Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Downtown, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. Although you were with us for only one night I am glad you were able to enjoy some of the hotel amenities, especially Starbucks! As you can imagine, our Starbucks is one of the busiest in San Francisco! Thanks again for reviewing our hotel! Debbie Bonafede, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Sparks, Nevada
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We stayed at this Marriott because it was so close to Pier 1 and the boat show for one night. Rachel checked us in, said we had been given a free upgrade, she began her spiel, explained the free wi-fi and I asked if it was secured and she told me no, but you we had to pay for extra if we wanted secured! As I was explaining to her that I was on a unsecured wi-fi at a different hotel my checking account got hacked, she cut me off explaining the nightly dinner etc etc. Not to mention the girl never smiled or was at all welcoming. She gave me the card with room 1522 on it but, my husband heard her say on the 14th floor. We went to 1522 and our keys didn't work so we went down to the 14th and sure enough they worked. I called the front desk to let them know that we were in 1422 not 1522 as written on the card, the girl that answered was very curt and once again cut me off and hung up. The room was very small, air was stale and not at all impressive. This was an upgrade? I wonder what the regular room looked like? Being an avid customer of Marriotts...but after staying here and from the rude staff, very small musty smelling room, having to pay extra for secure wi-fi, offering a breakfast buffet for $20, not complimentary breakfast and then charging $208 a night? I am reconsidering my choice of hotel chains from now on. Being in San Francisco, I expect it to be a class act. This Marriott is not that!

Room Tip: Ask for a newer room if they have it.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank divetravlr
Debbie B, General Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Downtown, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am so sorry for the numerous service failures you experienced. I am also very disappointed you were given conflicting information regarding the security of our complimentary Wi-Fi. Please know I have addressed this issue with our Front Office team and they will certainly exercise greater care with their communication in the future. In addition, I will personally read your review at our afternoon pre-shift meeting this week which includes representatives from all hotel departments. I assure you we will learn from your feedback. I hope you will give us another opportunity to make up for this poor experience. I know this was a short visit for the Boat Show but should your travels bring you back to San Francisco please do not hesitate to contact me so that I can assist you with your reservation. Thank you again for your feedback! Debbie Bonafede, General Manager.
Mumbai
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I booked the hotel because my conference was in the same hotel. I paid over $500 a night because I had no choice - the other hotels were all booked as well. I stayed in a suite which itself was very spacious and comfortable. The check in was quick and efficient. My only problem is that the hotel is a 3 star hotel and paying over $500 a night for a 3 star was a bit too much. The location is good and its not terribly far from market street. But it is quite far from union square. I had to call the reception 3 times to deliver a hair dryer which was a bit annoying. Other than that, I had a comfortable stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mrijay
Thanks so much for reviewing our hotel. I completely understand your frustration with San Francisco room rates. The demand for the San Francisco market has been on the rise for the last 3 years and 2014 looks to likely continue this trend. I am happy you enjoyed your room and the overall location. Please accept my apologies for the lack of responsiveness in replacing your hair dryer upon your first request. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you back in our hotel on your next trip to San Francisco! Debbie Bonafede, General Manager.
Trabuco Cyn, California
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Wife & I flew up from So Cal to spent my 10 year wedding anniversary staying here. Originally called up to request something for 'her' in the room and was asked if I would like a Suite upgrade at N/C. Really did not matter to me, but did appreciate having the extra room. Thanks Trent! Our suite was on the 17th floor giving us a great view towards Market Street. Room was large and comfortable. Had small Frig, Micro and 2 flat screens. Location was good for we flew into SFO and took Bart. Property a short 6 blocks from Bart Station. Lots of local restaurants and other bars withing a 3 min walk. Union Square about a 7 minute walk. We hope to return to this property in the future. Every time we returned from out day outing, the front staff always said 'welcome back'. That is nice.

Room Tip: Higher floors to take pics of the City from your window(s)
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Debbie B, General Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Downtown, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
What a pleasure it was to read your recent review of our hotel! Thanks so much for the great feedback. I am thrilled you enjoyed our location and even more that Trent was able to get you into one of our suites to celebrate your anniversary! Be assured, I will pass on your comments to Trent. He is a great guest ambassador for our hotel! Thanks, again, for taking the time to share your experience! Debbie Bonafede, General Manager.
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

Hotel Lobby, bar/restaurant; staff are reasonable and friendly. However, rooms are average and clean but unimpressive and in vital need of an update. Moreover, beds are uncomfortable!!!!!! After a long journey from the East coast it would have been nice to have a more comfortable bed and a more restful night's sleep.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Renea H
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so sorry you were disappointed in your room and especially with the comfort of the bed. The very least a hotel should provide is a comfortable night sleep. Please know I am passing on your comments to my staff and the owners of my hotel. I hope you will give us another opportunity to have you as our guest on your next visit to San Francisco. Debbie Bonafede, General Manager.
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I can't say enough about how awesome this place is. From the time I Checked in at the front desk, (everyone greets with a smile and eager to please). Whispers Lounge, can't get any better.
Laurie, Robert, Erik Kirk and Jon, again friendly and eager to please.. Everyone is soo happy there, that it just makes me feel happy, even when I know I'm far away from home.. My room is always clean and just so comfortable..
I have to honestly say I have never stayed at a hotel that I just couldn't wait to come back and see everyone again..
The entire staff not only is your friend, but definitely made me feel like family..

Room Tip: Every room I have stayed in was perfect, and I was there on and off for 18 months
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Mary thanks so much for your kind and enthusiastic review! I have shared your wonderful comments with the entire team and especially those you mentioned in your review. You are one of our most faithful guests! As you know, we consider you as part of our Courtyard family! I understand your project may be coming to an end. Count on our warm welcome whenever your travels bring you back to San Francisco. Until then, travel safe! Debbie Bonafede, General Manager.
New York
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The hotel is well situated and the rooms are comfortable; the pool and fitness facilities were good, and the food in the lounge was surprisingly good and affordable. The wait staff was also very attentive.

The best thing about our stay was the Front Desk staff. Robert, who checked us in, was really friendly and helpful; he saw that I had two consecutive reservations (one paid, one with points) and made sure that they were combined and that our keys would work for the duration of the stay. Jeanette, who checked us out, was exceptional. I mentioned that we had booked the first night under a promotion that offered a $50 Visa card, and although another staff member had said she wasn't familiar with the promotion and that the hotel was not responsible for providing the gift card, Jeanette went out of her way to buy the card herself and deliver it to the W, where we were staying for New Year's Eve. It isn't often that someone is both friendly and effective at their job; Jeanette was that person.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Debbie B, General Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Downtown, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I want you to know that I am also in receipt of your Marriott comment card. I apologize for the fact that the $50 gift card, that was included in your package, was not presented to you upon your arrival. Please know how grateful I am for the wonderful feedback regarding the service you received from both Jeanette and Robert to ensure the situation was resolved. I will make it a point to personally recognize both of them. Thanks again for your kind review and Happy New Year! Debbie Bonafede, General Manager