“Great location”

Courtyard San Francisco Downtown
Ranked #66 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 18 March 2014

This property has a lovely location downtown San Francisco. Close to all the tourist destinations, shopping, dinning and you can easily access the tour buses right in front of the hotel. There is a Starbucks on premises.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Debbie B, General Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thanks so much for your kind review! I am happy our location worked so well for your visit. The tour bus pick up in front of the hotel is, indeed, a great convenience! Please come visit us again soon! Debbie Bonafede, General Manager

There are newer reviews for Courtyard San Francisco Downtown

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I was on a business trip with several of my laptops. Overall, the hotel was suitable but made my stay uncomfortable or uneasy. First, there is no safe in the room, and I had to leave my laptops with sensitive information open to the maid and the open door during room service. I therefore decided to stay and have the room made during my presence everyday. Opting out of room service was an obstacle because the maid constantly left notes on my door. A hotel like this should purchase closet safes--simple. Secondly, the airport shuttle left without me, even though I had a reservation. No call to my room, and I was in fact waiting in front of the service desk. I took a taxi cab instead. Note the shuttle is not free in any case. Third, the AAA rate apparently increased the price of the room when I asked to stay an extra day. This response by the front desk was dubious, as I called the 1-800 number and it did the opposite. Finally, I tried to respond to a courtesy email survey; but after a month it apparently expired. Why? We don't have time to suit the management's schedule; they should be accommodating us if they want our return business.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank tearsforhari
Debbie B, General Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Please accept my apologies for the lack of a safe in your room. We are in the process of rectifying this situation as I completely agree the hotel should provide this amenity. Please know I have communicated your comments to our property and corporate team regarding the availability of your AAA rate and the inability to complete the hotel survey. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience. I hope you will give us another opportunity when your travels bring you back to San Francisco. Debbie Bonafede, General Manager

Reviewed 6 March 2014

This is a good hotel, with clean, modern and comfortable rooms. Sleep was no problem - our room was quiet. The hotel offers an on-site restaurant and a Starbucks, which provides an economical breakfast alternative. My impression is that this hotel might be a bit better for business guests than for tourists, since the location is not very near major tourist attractions.

Room Tip: We had a room on a high floor, which was quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I am so glad you were comfortable during your stay and were pleased with the comfort of your room. I am happy you enjoyed a good night’s sleep! We often hear feedback on how quiet our rooms are considering we are in the middle of the City! Thanks again for taking the time to review our hotel! Debbie Bonafede, General Manager

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Just stayed here March 2-5 and the Check in process was quick, efficient and easy. I received an upgrade to a city view room on the 16th floor, which was a great surprise (if you are a gold member, request an upgrade). The room was clean, the products were great and there were at least 10 different outlets in the room for electronics. The room service was excellent and not overly priced.

Rachel at the Front Desk recommended a fantastic restaurant that really made my trip. It's called Jamber and serves wine from tap! The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the ferry building, AT&T park and the shopping on Geary st. In that sense, the hotel is perfect for business travelers and tourists alike. I was there doing a bit of both so I was very glad I picked this hotel. I also have to add that the front desk staff is incredibly nice! I am terrible at names but everyone we met was very kind and helpful.

Yes, it is a bit dated and the rooms could have a better layout, but for the price you are paying it is well worth it considering the high price tag on the hotels nearby. I definitely would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor, city view room
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MLE91

Thanks so much for the wonderful review of our hotel! I am delighted you enjoyed our hotel! Please be assured I will let Rachel know how much you enjoyed Jamber! I have been there myself and was also impressed they had wine on tap. It was the first time I had seen this but apparently it is becoming more of a trend. Thanks again for taking the time to review our hotel! Debbie Bonafede, General Manager

Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

Easy and comfortable with good location and amenities. I would stay there again - good value too. Room was comfortable and clean. Service was efficient and pleasant. Starbucks in the lobby and a Great location!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank WorkingMom08

Thanks so much for your kind review! I am very happy you were so pleased with both your room and the service you received! We look forward to having you as our guest again in the near future! Debbie Bonafede, General Manager

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Stayed here for one night. Price at 300 was higher then paid in past for Courtyards but its SF. Great location close to everything. Clean throughout. Checkin was good and fast. Room was nice, clean and comfortable. Starbucks on site with good selection of bfast stuff. I would recommend but try to book earlier to pay less of a premium.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. Although you were with us for only one night I am glad you were able to enjoy some of the hotel amenities, especially Starbucks! As you can imagine, our Starbucks is one of the busiest in San Francisco! Thanks again for reviewing our hotel! Debbie Bonafede, General Manager

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We stayed at this Marriott because it was so close to Pier 1 and the boat show for one night. Rachel checked us in, said we had been given a free upgrade, she began her spiel, explained the free wi-fi and I asked if it was secured and she told me no, but you we had to pay for extra if we wanted secured! As I was explaining to her that I was on a unsecured wi-fi at a different hotel my checking account got hacked, she cut me off explaining the nightly dinner etc etc. Not to mention the girl never smiled or was at all welcoming. She gave me the card with room 1522 on it but, my husband heard her say on the 14th floor. We went to 1522 and our keys didn't work so we went down to the 14th and sure enough they worked. I called the front desk to let them know that we were in 1422 not 1522 as written on the card, the girl that answered was very curt and once again cut me off and hung up. The room was very small, air was stale and not at all impressive. This was an upgrade? I wonder what the regular room looked like? Being an avid customer of Marriotts...but after staying here and from the rude staff, very small musty smelling room, having to pay extra for secure wi-fi, offering a breakfast buffet for $20, not complimentary breakfast and then charging $208 a night? I am reconsidering my choice of hotel chains from now on. Being in San Francisco, I expect it to be a class act. This Marriott is not that!

Room Tip: Ask for a newer room if they have it.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank divetravlr
Debbie B, General Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am so sorry for the numerous service failures you experienced. I am also very disappointed you were given conflicting information regarding the security of our complimentary Wi-Fi. Please know I have addressed this issue with our Front Office team and they will certainly exercise greater care with their communication in the future. In addition, I will personally read your review at our afternoon pre-shift meeting this week which includes representatives from all hotel departments. I assure you we will learn from your feedback. I hope you will give us another opportunity to make up for this poor experience. I know this was a short visit for the Boat Show but should your travels bring you back to San Francisco please do not hesitate to contact me so that I can assist you with your reservation. Thank you again for your feedback! Debbie Bonafede, General Manager.