“Great location!”

Courtyard San Francisco Downtown
Ranked #66 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We came to see a Giants game. We were able to check in early, valet our car and walk to the afternoon game. Staff was friendly throughout the hotel, including housekeeping. Dominic was welcoming and helpful at check-in. Room was clean and roomy. We were able to walk to Dinner, with many great dining options! We will definitely be back!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Saloyd
Debbie B, General Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay. I will be sharing your comments with the entire team and especially Dominic who is a new addition to our front office staff and is, indeed, doing a fantastic job. Thanks again for taking the time to review our hotel!

There are newer reviews for Courtyard San Francisco Downtown

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Located just blocks from the Bart & MUNI train/bus stations, it's easy to get around without the hassle of getting stuck in traffic or having to pay the $61 hotel valet parking fee. The hotel has a nice open air atrium with a small bar & grill which opens at 5pm. I would've liked it to be open for lunch, as the only thing that was available was their Market which only offers snacks plus refrigerate sandwiches and salads. We stayed in the one bedroom suite, since we were with our children. It was comfortable and offered plenty of space with a living room area and half kitchen. The front desk & housekeeping staff were very friendly.
Our kids really enjoyed the indoor pool & jacuzzi. It's a small pool but was perfect for us because no one else was in there.
Breakfast was great. Buffet style with lots of options and a made-to-order pancake, waffle and omelet station. It was pretty pricey though.
Overall, it was a good value for staying in downtown SF and nice for families.

• Stayed: May 2014
Jim S, Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

On behalf of all of us at the Courtyard San Francisco – Downtown, I would like to thank you for your review and feedback about your recent stay with us. I will certainly share your comments with the staff. I was happy to hear that you found our hotel to be a good value and was especially glad to hear that you enjoyed our friendly service staff. It was also nice to hear that you were able to enjoy our restaurants and liked the breakfast buffet selections. We just added some frozen and microwaveable food and entre items in The Market which is open 24/7. Again, thank you for your positive review and for staying with us. We look forward to serving you and your family again.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I have always enjoyed Marriott hotels and this one was no different. We were able to check in early as requested. The location was not bad convenient to the Bart and other means of transportation. My only complaint which is minor was there was no fridge or safe in the room.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Bay bridge is nice.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank INDY1Chicago

I am so very glad that our hotel and staff was able to meet your expectations and that you enjoyed our location! Also, pleased to know that you enjoyed one of our Bay Bridge view rooms as this is a special treat! If you are planning on a return visit, you will be happy to know that we are currently in the process of installing refrigerators in all of our guest rooms. Thank you for your review and thank you for choosing the Courtyard San Francisco Downtown!

Reviewed 25 May 2014

A couple gf's & I were drinking wine & indulging in carbs (a lethal combination!) & decided to book a weekend trip to San Francisco on a whim. Being my 1st time, I narrowed my search for a hotel down to the touristy Wharf area & the Union Square area & I had to bear in mind 1 of my gf's was on a budget. After seeing the Downtown Courtyard was within walking distance of Union Square & that we could get a nice size city view room at $80/ea., I was all over it. Now, while 1 of my gf's was on a budget, the other has standards & price is not an issue. We arrived around 9a & they gladly checked us in (loved that!). Upon opening the door to our room, we were immediately impressed (even Ms. Standards!). The room was larger than we'd anticipated, the bathroom area was nice & the room was very clean. The people working the front desk were friendly during every encounter. We loved that we could walk to Union Square for b'fast in the mornings & found that it was easy to get a cab from the hotel. Additionally, I don't think any of our cabs to/from were any more than 10mins. There's also a Starbucks but make sure you check the hours; since it's in the financial district & the amount of traffic decreases significantly on the weekends, they close early. We found our stay to be pleasant & agreed we'd make the Downtown Courtyard our place-to-stay when in SF.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Steff P

On behalf of the entire staff at the Courtyard San Francisco - Downtown, I would like to thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. As a Senior Contributor, your comments and feedback are highly valued and we appreciate the positive comments. Your comments will certainly be shared with our staff. It was great to read your story about how you decided to make the trip to San Francisco and how happy you and your friends were with your hotel choice! I am thrilled to know that you had a positive experience and that we were able to help you enjoy your weekend and first visit to San Francisco! Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I stayed here for a conference at the Moscone center last week and this was a really convenient location for that. The room I had was a very nice size and I appreciate the "usable" free wifi (usually if it's free, it's slow. Not the case here). Beds were comfy and thank you for providing tons of pillows and towels. During hockey playoffs, I wish I could have watched in my room, but you didn't have NBC Sports in your channel lineup, but that's a small gripe. What really made my stay great were the front desk staff, specifically Trent and JP. They were both very friendly and avid sports fans like me, so we had several nice conversations. Thanks for recommending the It's-It, I'd never had one before and it was delicious. Fantastic service from them :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank lbrunell13
Jim S, Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for your review and feedback. I will most certainly share your kind comments regarding our friendly staff especially Trent and JP; they both are great assets for our hotel! I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our guest rooms and beds and that you found the free Wi-Fi fast and user friendly as we have recently increased our bandwidth. Also, glad you enjoyed the It's-It...they've been a San Francisco tradition for over 85 years. Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in San Francisco.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

After a week long tour of wine country by bicycle, we stopped in San Francisco and our first night at the Marriott Courtyard was a fantastic break. From checking in to checking out everyone was extremely friendly. JP at the reception desk was so welcoming and so knowledgeable about the hotel, its services and the area. He made many recommendations and provided a great introduction to the city. The rooms were clean and everything worked. Lots of room to stretch out and take a needed break. Had room service the first night which proved to be a good experience very fast and again very friendly. Every single employee welcomed us, were polite and extremely helpful and friendly. I travel for business and this trip was a vacation so I will definitely stop here again when I'm back in the city for work. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view about the 14th floor or higher
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank davidericjohnson

On behalf of our entire staff, thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay at the Courtyard - San Francisco Downtown. It was so nice to read your gracious comments and to know that you enjoyed our hotel and staff so much. Rest assured, I will share your feedback with the staff and give special kudos to JP. Thank you for the recommendation! We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Originally booked a month before at a rate $219 and found a rate of $161 two days prior. Canceled the higher priced reservation on Marriott site and re booked at lower rate on same site.

Looks new or recently renovated. Clean throughout and outstanding staff and service.

Room was slightly smaller and A/C did not cool to set temperature but everything else about the room was above average. Nice extra double outlet port next to bed as part of light fixture-great for charging phones and tablets.

Restaurant food was better than typical with typical higher hotel pricing. Again service was outstanding in Bar / Restaurant. Morning breakfast was a pricey $19.99 buffet Made to order omelets, french toast, pancakes and chaffing warmer dish scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausage and bacon. Starbucks on property but very busy each morning.

Only Drawbacks - $54 a day to park-valet only. Attentive valet but still $54 a day and 4 different taxes averaging $34+ a day.

Don't drive save the parking fee for fun -taxi stand right in front, safer walk-able neighborhood.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Gregg B
Debbie B, General Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thanks for mentioning our new electrical outlet port on the nightstand. We added these last year. Be assured I will share your comments with our Food and Beverage team regarding your positive experience in Whispers Bar and Grill. Thanks again for your kind review. Debbie Bonafede, General Manager