“Good Location Away from the Crowds”

Courtyard San Francisco Downtown
Ranked #61 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My daughter and I stayed here last weekend for her first visit to San Francisco. We left our car in the hotel garage and walked/cabbed/bused everywhere we wanted to go. The location was an easy walk to Union Square with fabulous shopping and ready access to the hop-on bus and cable cars, but it felt good to leave the crowds behind when we returned to the hotel. I was impressed with our comfortable room, which was large for a city hotel, and the mini refrigerator was a plus. My daughter appreciated having Starbucks right in the lobby. The front desk staff was accommodating with a late check-out. Parking was expensive but not more than I have paid in other large cities. There was a taxi stand right in front of the hotel so it was easy to catch a cab. I would recommend this hotel to other visitors and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Debbie B, General Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thanks so much for your kind review. I absolutely agree that walking and public transportation are the only way to see San Francisco. Leaving the car behind was the right call! We often receive feedback about the convenience of our location to all the SF sites coupled with our relatively peaceful neighborhood. I am very happy you and your daughter enjoyed your visit and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed July 30th to celebrate my birthday, and sadly this morning have noticed that I left some jewelry on the nightstand in our room. 4 days ago, but called this am hoping housekeeping turned in. No such luck. $300 worth of jewlery plus $620 for one night stay. This place is a nice location, but pricey for and not very honest :-(

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2013doodlegrl
Debbie B, General Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Ms. Giffin, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Marriott has the greatest concern and respect for every guest’s experience. We take hotel safety and security very seriously. When we received your communication on August 5th, we immediately investigated. Please contact me so that we can discuss personally. Thank you again for your feedback. Debbie Bonafede, General Manager (415-486-6401)

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Yes, great location and nice for a business stay. However, when on business, I need reliable, speedy Internet connectivity and being in the heart of the innovative part of America, I expected better. It took several attempts to get online - a reboot required each day and speeds were slow (IMHO).

Room was your typical CYMarriott layout - spacious, clean and bathroom served its purpose but nothing to write home about (just writing here! :-).

The exercise facility was jokingly small for such a big hotel so don't expect to do major workouts while here.

The customer service was good and what impressed me the most was my room number: 524. Not sure if that was a random selection or if they lined it up to my birthday (May 24) on purpose given that they have my frequent guest profile data. If so, I'm very impressed!

Overall, nice place but not "WOW!" given what I stated above and that the rate was upper $200's for a night's stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Debbie B, General Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thanks so much for your recent review of our hotel. I wish we could take credit for the assignment of your room aligning exactly to your birth date but, alas, it was just a happy coincidence. My apologies for the slow internet connection. We have had recent issues with both our free and elevated connections that are now resolved. You may also be interested to know that we will be expanding our exercise room later this summer. I am glad you enjoyed our location and that it worked for your business needs. Thanks again for taking the time to review our hotel. Debbie Bonafede, General Manager.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Comfortable room, helpful staff, close to cabs and buses, easy to get to coffee houses...the only trouble we had was trying to catch the right bus! There is also valet parking:) Very nice place. Would recommend this hotel for both vacationers and business people.

Room Tip: 7th floor and above, very quiet
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for taking the time to review the Courtyard San Francisco Downtown. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and would recommend our hotel for business or leisure travelers! We think so too! Thank you again for sharing your feedback!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed here recently for a couple of days of tourist fun. Reasonable location, I think this is the default choice for ball games, but it's a little walk to everything else. Which is not really a problem, this is San Francisco right? it's a couple of blocks from the Embarcadero, which gives you a pretty walk all the way up to pier 39 and all that has to offer. It’s also quite close to some tour bus stops which means you can hop on and off and travel round without too many hills to tackle.

The hotel itself is perfectly nice, the reception is large and clean and even has a Starbucks, there's a nice outside courtyard sitting area, and a small bar.

My room was on the 18th floor and faced to the rear of the hotel and if you looked hard enough past the road works and buildings there was a nice view of the bay bridge, which was nice.

Room itself was well equipped, large TV, coffee, iPod doc etc... But I did think it was a little dated and 'worn' looking. Again, not a massive issue for me as I travelled alone and only really slept in there. It did however, have very reasonable (and free) wifi in the room which is another thumbs up.

The bar seemed a little funny to me, quite small and only open at certain times of the day, more akin to a B&B than a downtown hotel.

If you’re in a car, you’ll need to pay over $50 per day to park, again, San Francisco right?

Over all I liked it, nice staff, decent quality, reasonable location…

Room Tip: Higher the better
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Thanks for your review of the Courtyard San Francisco Downtown. Marriott values the experiences and feedback of all of our guests. I’m happy to hear our location enabled you to visit all the San Francisco sites. Please know I have passed on your feedback regarding the dated condition of your room to Marriott leadership. Thanks for that constructive feedback. Please come back to visit us soon and thanks again for taking the time to review our hotel.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is the courtyard experience. My first time staying here as I usually stay at the Courtyard near Fisherman's Wharf. For the business district side of SF, this is located near offices. Rooms are clean, beds are comfortable and it's generally nice. The room I was in faced a street where there were deliveries at all hours, making it hard to get a good night's sleep. That said, the lobby was convenient, room service has an amazing Caprese Grilled Cheese sandwich, so I wouldn't mind staying here again for business in the San Francisco area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face a street with deliveries all night.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Debbie B, General Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I was sorry to hear that your sleep was disturbed by the trucks in the alley. However, I was pleased to see you enjoyed your room as well as your menu selection from room service. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to San Francisco. Debbie Bonafede, General Manager.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed here for 4 days, it was fine but not more than that. The hotel offers several nice services, such as valet parking (extra cost of $50/day) and it has a bar and a Starbucks indoor. The rooms are OK but nothing special, and the bathroom is pretty basic. However, we got the sleep that we wanted and the water from the shower is fine so the basics are alright. The rooms are pretty large too. We did not take breakfast so I don't know about this, however since I saw some airline crews staying here too, I guess this is OK.

The location of the hotel is OK and easy to find from the highway from the airport. However, it is still far from the centre with shopping and tourist activities. For this you should take a cab or go with your car. Walking would be around 30 minutes.

+: accessibility by car from the highway (at least from direction of the airport), valet parking (no street parking possible), indoor bar and Starbucks.

-: pretty basic rooms and bathrooms, not a hotel with the "personal touch" for the customer due to its size.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Matthijs L
Jim S, Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

On behalf of our entire staff, I thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We enjoyed having you as our guest. I hope your time in San Francisco was enjoyable and was all you hoped it would be. I was happy to read that you had a good night's rest and you were pleased with the spaciousness of the room. I am also delighted you enjoyed our Whispers lounge and Starbucks. We do work hard to personalize each of our guest's stays with us and I sincerely apologize if you did not experience this during your stay with us. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back when your travels bring you back to San Francisco. Again, thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us.