“Great hotel in a Great place”
Review of SW Hotel

SW Hotel
Ranked #126 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 22 September 2013

This is a really great hotel, I stayed here for 5 nights,

The area is the chinatown so there is alot to see outside,
chinatown is very loudy at all time but inside the hotel it's like a different world, so quiet,
and the hotel is very big, the breakfeat is good and is a broad room

The room is very small though but I got all I needed so I didn't care.

Wifi is great, strong and fast

If you come on the subway you'll need to get a but from market street but it's nothing.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for SW Hotel

Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the SW for 6 nights. The hotel is very simple but very clean and in a great location. We walked everywhere and never took a bus or taxi. Breakfast is basic but they tell you that. Lots of restaurants in the area. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 7 September 2013

On the edge of Chinatown and North Beach the SW hotel is nearby to great restaurants, bars, as well as tourist attractions. It is also close to a BART station if you are planning using it to reach the airport. My husband and I enjoy exploring a city by walking and the location permits this, once you get used to the hills. Took other reviewers advice and chose a room not on the Broadway and we never heard any noise.
Although the room is clean it is small and although it was not a problem for us, I know it could be for someone else. Also, their continental breakfast could be improved, we walked by it but never ate anything because the choices were very limited.
Overall a great choice if you are looking for a hotel with a lot of restaurant and nightlife options, while actually feeling as if you are in a neighborhood and not in the middle of tourist central.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room that is not located on the Broadway side of the hotel.
3  Thank DMBMichelle194
Reviewed 5 September 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the SW for quite a few years, and I returned as a widow recently. It is clean, well maintained, and the staff are helpful, except for one person on my last visit, who seemed brain dead. The best thing is the location, where North Beach (Italian) and Chinatown come together. Breakfast dumplings and/or cappucino in the morning! The rooms are small, but not if you are a single.

On my recent visit, there had been a policy change, and there was no internet access in the lobby. Most folks bring a laptop or tablet, but I am a Luddite, alas. One reason I enjoy the SW is that I speak some Chinese and the staff are very kind when I try.

You have to accept that you will have no view if you want a quiet night's sleep.

Room Tip: As others have said, the interior rooms are quiet; the exterior ones are a crapshoot.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Gail W
Reviewed 3 September 2013

It's all good at this hotel. The location is between the Italian and Chinese areas, also close to Fisherman's Wharf (easy to walk to FW, but getting back is all up hill, so taxi is best). It's a clean hotel offering a simple but effective continental breakfast. The immediate area has a few strip clubs, but I didn't get the impression of it being unsafe at all. I didn't see any hookers or pimps or anything like that. Excellent nightlife in the form of local pubs is right at your door step.
We had a room away from the street and had our window open all night, every night, and were never disturbed by noise. For the price, this is an excellent base. The room was small, but nothing that frustrated us - it's not like it was hostel size or anything.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the street for noise reduction.
1  Thank Time2SeeItAll
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Stayed at the SW in September. Friendly staff, very clean room and totally quiet from the busy street we were on. We didn't have the continental breakfast that comes with the stay but quite happy with the choice.

1  Thank novarocket
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

I loved my stay at the SW Hotel. I am already planning to stay there, the next time I am visiting SF. It's a beautiful hotel, with free access to wi-fi, reasonable car parking and allow guess some privacy. Although, it's a bit old in terms of your lock and key not electronic operated keys, it's still a wonderful place to stay. My room was decorated in Chinese style future and I loved the simplicity. Had a comfortable sleep... Staff service was excellent and location was just perfect to allow guest a real taste of San Francisco. Had really good stay, many thanks to the hotel staff. Knowing how expensive hotels are in SF, the SW Hotel was a treasured palace for a steal price. Enjoy'

• Stayed: August 2013